BUILT
Mayfair Shopping Centre
Use: commercial
Address: 3147 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 3
Mayfair Shopping Centre in the City of Victoria was expanded by 100,000 square feet in 2018 as part of a high-... (view full profile)
Learn more about Mayfair Shopping Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

[Victoria] Mayfair Shopping Centre | Built in 1963 | Expansion completed in 2018

• Please log in to reply
658 replies to this topic

#81 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:54 PM

No bull, I tie a string around the door handle when I enter and then use it to retrace my steps when I leave. Call me a cretin but it works. I just wish we could prevent this thread from getting lost.

• VicHockeyFan, Rob Randall and zenbunny like this

#82 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 05:25 AM

maybe they'll install LEDs in the floor to help people find their way around

Edited by amor de cosmos, 23 July 2016 - 05:27 AM.

#83 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 07:37 PM

Or put colored lines on the floor like in a hospital.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#84 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 11:52 AM

Or put colored lines on the floor like in a hospital.

Or in a crosswalk.

#85 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 10:36 AM

New details have been released today, along with some renderings of the interior.

Most notable is the price tag for the current expansion, $72 million, the square footage increase of 100,000 square feet and a completion date of 2018. PCL is indeed the contractor as was surmised earlier in this thread.

Updated story: http://victoria.citi...plans-revealed/

Mayfair-exterior.jpg

Mayfair-interior-rendering-2.jpg

Mayfair-interior-rendering-1.jpg

• Nparker, 2F2R and Mr Cook Street like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#86 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 10:42 AM

For a mall that's not a bad face to the street.

#87 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,767 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 10:57 AM

Both an Urban Behaviour and an Urbano - that's quite the coup. Hopefully they can persuade Urban Outfitters and Urban Planet to join the mix. Also, based on the size of the HMV store in the rendering it would appear to be single-handedly reviving the physical recorded music industry. Take that digital downloads!

Glad to see at least one "Signage" store is slated for the redevelopment as well.

#88 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:03 AM

You have something against Urban Barn?

#89 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,767 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:38 AM

You have something against Urban Barn?

I assumed with their location at Uptown they wouldn't want to open so close at Mayfair.  :P

#90 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 12:00 PM

I would bet a Saks Off Fifth to compliment HBC.
  • Nparker likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#91 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 12:28 PM

... Also, based on the size of the HMV store in the rendering it would appear to be single-handedly reviving the physical recorded music industry. Take that digital downloads!

Based on the rendering outside the HMV store, this expansion is clearly going to improve sales.  Just about every 3D shopper has multiple bags of purchases.  The guy with the headphones has no less than four.   :lol:

post-3-0-62629600-1471977387.jpg

Edited by Gary H, 23 August 2016 - 12:29 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#92 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 01:25 PM

Construction trailers are being moved onsite today.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker, Bingo and 2 others like this

#93 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 02:11 PM

Yeah, they're not wasting any time whatsoever here.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#94 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 03:02 PM

I wonder who their large-format retailers will be?  Zara (lower end) and Holt Renfrew (higher end)?

Hopefully this Bay location will finally remodel... stepping into their store at Mayfair is like stepping into a time warp back to 1984. :)

• Mike K., Nparker and jonny like this

#95 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 03:10 PM

I can’t imagine the Bay location not being renovated. It’s a mess.  

A J Crew, one of those fancy big London Drugs and a somewhat decent chain restaurant like an Earl’s or Chili’s and I’ll be happy. Please no more banks.  

I must admit, this is a pretty surprising expansion. The change in the retail landscape of Greater Victoria from now to ten years ago is pretty amazing.

• Nparker likes this

#96 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 03:15 PM

I'd say it's a way overdue expansion, but Uptown got in the way.

#97 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 03:18 PM

Yeah, you’re probably right. I guess it’s just kind of amazing that Uptown was built, Hillside Mall was expanded and now Mayfair Mall is expanding all in short order.

I mean, Uptown and Hillside aren’t even full. There are valid reasons for that, but still.

#98 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 03:25 PM

Yeah, you’re probably right. I guess it’s just kind of amazing that Uptown was built, Hillside Mall was expanded and now Mayfair Mall is expanding all in short order.

I mean, Uptown and Hillsip de aren’t even full. There are valid reasons for that, but still.

Interesting to note though since the opening of Brown's Social House @ Uptown how much busier it seems to be; our teen works p/t at the Zennkai Salon just along from Brown's on the second level of the complex. This is directly across from where the new rental tower will go and I can tell you its crazy busy there no matter what time or day I go to pick her up. Lots of activity and energy. One can only imagine what it'll be like once a couple of hundred residents move into the new development.....

#99 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,767 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 03:36 PM

Uptown was crying out for an actual sit-down restaurant. I am not surprised it has proven to be popular. I think it could support another, but probably not until the residential component is complete.

#100 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 03:39 PM

One can only imagine what it'll be like once a couple of hundred residents move into the new development.....

Not noticeably busier.  You need tens of thousands in your catchment area.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users