Photo

Vancouver 2010 Olympics - General Discussion

• Please log in to reply
717 replies to this topic

#61 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:06 PM

I got there at 830 this morning and was surprised how few people were there. I was amazed how bad the overall security was. There was 800 police on hand, but from listening in to their conversations, the event organizers left some very big holes in the security. There was a real concern that they didn't have a list of the people allowed in the inner circle and those people didn't have any real credentials. I was by one of the entrances on the side of the fountain and while it had four police officers covering it, people would just walk up and say "I'm allowed in there" and the police just let them in. If anyone had a real plan to disturb things it would not have been too hard; however, other than some people yelling "Stolen Native Land" there wasn't any disturbances I noticed.

I didn't get any of the Red mittens, but the people around me seemed somewhat unhappy that they cost $11, and then on inspection had a big tag that said $10 on them.

I plan on going back tonight, but wonder how late it will be running. They have a twitter with the updates, but its not public and I don't really care to sign up and follow it.

#62 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:10 PM

what was that song they played at the beginning? it sounded like dave matthews

I wondered too. It was pretty good.

I plan on going back tonight, but wonder how late it will be running. They have a twitter with the updates, but its not public and I don't really care to sign up and follow it.

Our community celebrations begin at the legislature grounds at 5:30 p.m., two hours before the torch arrives. Entertainment runs from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Wear red and white!

#63 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:11 PM

This is the seventh time Coca-Cola has sponsored an Olympic Torch Relay.

Was this the music:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=caAu8bPY5os

#64 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:14 PM

i think i found it, but waitaminute & i've always hated coldplay!

skUJ-B6oVDQ

#65 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:15 PM

^^ That's it!

Here it is:

http://www.vancouver...g110288-JA.html

#66 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:24 PM

The highlight was the fly-over by fighter jets. RUMBLE! Very thrilling.

Is that why things were shaking on my shelf this morning? I thought it was an earthquake :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#67 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:27 PM

I quite like the design of the torch.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#68 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:27 PM

And to think I had a Barbara Ann Scott doll.
Good video.

#69 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 03:26 PM

what's happening at the leg tonight? there must be bands etc playing & probably some more torch stuff, but who & what?

#70 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 October 2009 - 03:35 PM

I was wondering what was happening in Oak Bay as the torch passes through. Supposed to be some sort of celebration, etc...

#71 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 03:38 PM

Anyone find the Torch website to be frustrating? There currently is a flame icon in Brentwood Bay. Does this mean its now two hours behind? Also the times aren't in order. The second Victoria leg starts at 18:09 PDT at Foul Bay and Oak Bay, but If you click the next point it says 18:03 PDT.

I was also disappointed to see the twitter feed hasn't been updated in 5 hours.

#72 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 03:39 PM

Victoria's Community Celebration will take place between approximately 5:30pm - 8:30pm at the Parliament Buildings.
The Celebration kicks off with a musical 'welcome', featuring a hand-picked group of some of Victoria's most talented and recognized jazz, world, folk and classical musicians, who will form an all-star house band for the entire evening celebration. Musicians in the all-star line-up include Daniel Lapp, Marc Atkinson, Kia Kadiri, Hugh Fraser, Ken Lavigne, Adonis Puentes, Phil Dwyer, Carey Newman and Sara Marreiros, Dave Flello, Jules Charles, members of the Victoria Symphony, the Joy of Life and the BC Fiddle Orchestra, as well as hundreds of First Nations Drummers and Les Cornouillers dancers. The Community Celebration promises to be more than a concert - it will be a dazzling spectacle of dance, theatre, visual and performance art, multi-media technology and pyrotechnics.
The entire face of the Parliament Buildings painted in light, with massive projections will create a backdrop for an unforgettable experience. You'll be transported into an Emily Carr painting, a bird filled forest where hundreds of First Nations drummers perform; and where the glow of a giant beating heart created by hundreds of costumed dancers gets our own hearts beating faster, as the final torch bearer arrives to light the cauldron.

http://www.tourismvi...l.aspx?eid=7141

#73 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 03:53 PM

Anyone find the Torch website to be frustrating? There currently is a flame icon in Brentwood Bay. Does this mean its now two hours behind? Also the times aren't in order. The second Victoria leg starts at 18:09 PDT at Foul Bay and Oak Bay, but If you click the next point it says 18:03 PDT.

I was also disappointed to see the twitter feed hasn't been updated in 5 hours.

Hour-by-hour scedule..

http://www.timescolo...2538/story.html

#74 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 03:56 PM

Thank You. But I was looking more for where it actually is. Not just the schedule. I just got a txt from someone at Uvic, where there is a rumor going on that it won't get there until 6:30. Thats why I ask if there is a real update of the status anywhere.

AGAIN, its just a rumor, so please please don't base your plans on that

#75 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 04:00 PM

Thank You. But I was looking more for where it actually is. Not just the schedule. I just got a txt from someone at Uvic, where there is a rumor going on that it won't get there until 6:30. Thats why I ask if there is a real update of the status anywhere.

AGAIN, its just a rumor, so please please don't base your plans on that

If we changed out clocks on the date we used to, last week, we could see the flame right now....

CFAX said about 20 minutes ago that Haliburton and Pat Bay HWY was stalled out, so maybe the flame is still at Elk Lake. Looks like they should have built in some time gaps during the drive portions. Or got some Kenyan Olympians to run with the thing. :D

#76 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 04:01 PM

The location of the torch just moved on the interactive map from Brentwood bay to the Highway. So if it is updated in near real time, it about 80 minutes behind.

#77 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 04:40 PM

We can't get a friggin torch from a to b in an organized, timely manner, but trust us that that multi-billion dollar games will go off without a hitch and the taxpayer won't be on the hook for $$$ !

#78 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 04:49 PM

The interactive map now is showing its at Uvic now. So its only about 25 minutes behind based on that.

#79 Coopershawk

Coopershawk
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:36 PM

The whole program this morning reminded me of The Ted Mack Original Amateur Hour...we can only hope that it will get better.

#80 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:36 PM

The interactive map jumped from Uvic to downtown now. There are helicopters going like crazy downtown so it might be true.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users