CRD Recycling/garbage

• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#201 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 5,940 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:56 PM

Ha! Thrifty's is not union. Even with union, my every keystroke is tracked at work (digital equivalent of a camara on me) My union knows this, and trust me management isn't saying its to prevent robberies, they tell you the exact reason why in orientation.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 12 January 2019 - 01:57 PM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#202 jonny

jonny
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 02:08 PM

Go back and re read my first post on this subject. You're arguing points I never made. The topic was CCTV cameras. I already stated that workers in a public space have a reduced expectation of privacy, but you're still going on about the cashier thing.

Anyway, here's a good article on the subject.

https://www.legallin...-the-workplace/

"Generally speaking, Canadian courts have not looked favourably on employers who install surveillance cameras to spy on employees without good reason."
  • Matt R. likes this

#203 tjv

tjv
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 04:14 PM

It depends on a lot of things. I have personally been involved in several cases where we have terminated employees (in a union environment) with cause using camera footage that proved theft.

Generally, if an employee works in a public space (i.e. retail) there is no general expectation of privacy and you can use surveillance footage. But you have to have cause. You can't just pick on somebody and watch them or monitor your employees for the hell of it. Everybody has an expectation of some privacy.

And generally the surveillance cameras can't be there just to monitor employees. Like you can't put a CCTV camera over Jonny's desk because you want to watch him spin around in his chair and tweet all day. They have to be installed under the guise of protecting assets, preventing theft, etc.

Thanks for clarifying that, I had heard something different many years ago.  So basically the public store area is fine, but the storeroom isn't.

As to the last paragraph I don't see any difference between stealing from the cash register or spin around in his chair

#204 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 04:55 PM

you mean the wear and tear on the chair spin mechanism or the company time spent spinning?

what’s your chair spin rpm Jonny?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 January 2019 - 04:56 PM.

#205 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 546 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 05:03 PM

Any of the new winter shows/returns catch anyone's interest? I've mostly just been watching reruns and Netflix stuff lately.
  • Matt R. likes this

#206 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 05:19 PM

This is the garbage thread, no?

I watch Seal Team every week. Get my Boreanaz fix. Also, just about finished the Idris Elba show “In the Long Run”. Great stuff. One of these shows is garbage, one is not.

Matt.
  • jonny and Cats4Hire like this

#207 LJ

LJ
  • 8,577 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:41 PM

I watched 60 Minutes last week and they had a guy on there that has developed an economical way to get cellulose out of plants with which he can and does make plant based plastic that can be programmed to decay within days or last for years. You can use it for fuel, sugar, and a bunch of other things as well.

A bunch of very knowledgeable folks on the program said that this could replace 20% - 30% of fossil fuels in the future.

https://www.xyleco.com/

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#208 tjv

tjv
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 09:18 AM

Does anyone know if CRD is recycling all items they collect with the China ban?

#209 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 09:24 AM

I doubt you will ever get a straight answer to that question.

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#210 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,663 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 10:19 AM

Does anyone know if CRD is recycling all items they collect with the China ban?

Apparently yes. Dig into the CRD archives for Oct/Nov last year. There was a staff report that said that because our recycling is relatively clean, we still have a market.

• tjv likes this

#211 todd

todd
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 03:11 PM

Why didn’t somebody open up a bottle throwing range? Saw the other day somebody started up a raccoon comfort therapy place got to be better than golf.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.