CRD Recycling/garbage

• Please log in to reply
687 replies to this topic

#161 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:25 AM

Seems odd, doesn’t it, that single family homes would practice such cleanliness while condo and apartment residents no longer qualify for the service?

not really. in the apartment once you’ve dumped your contaminating goods in with others you can’t be pointed to as the offender. so it’s human nature that maybe 5 guys in an 80-unit condo do all that bad sorts.

#162 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:56 AM

Most of the glass that is recycled is used for sandblasting purposes and as fill.

correct, plus fibreglass insulation

but only drinking glass is recycled, window glass goes into the landfill and always has

• jonny likes this

#163 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:06 AM

correct, plus fibreglass insulation

but only drinking glass is recycled, window glass goes into the landfill and always has

Yup when I worked for my dad (window installation) I used to be the one who would be sent to the dump with the old windows.  It's interesting how quickly you lose the sheer joy of smashing glass in the Hartland dumpster bins.  Still, each one had to be smashed to balance the natural order of things.  Tempered glass isn't always easy to break and sometimes you're chucking wood at corners in a feeble effort to get the job done.

• jonny likes this

#164 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:49 AM

not really. in the apartment once you’ve dumped your contaminating goods in with others you can’t be pointed to as the offender. so it’s human nature that maybe 5 guys in an 80-unit condo do all that bad sorts.

The pick up crews just leave the bad stuff right where it is. People don’t learn, and eventually the recycling ends up in the garbage. The reason why the CRD can pat itself on the back is they leave what they don’t want at the curb.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#165 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:57 AM

it’s harder in the big apartment bins though than in shallow sfd blue boxes to see contamination.

#166 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:30 AM

Condo and apartment recycling dumpsters are terrible. The amount of contamination is awful. It makes you think why bother--just send the whole works to the dump.

Yup. It just proves that the average person doesn't give a hoot. 

I pick plastic out of the compost bin from time to time, but only if it's right at the top because our compost bin is so disgusting that I'm kind of afraid of it. 

#167 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:34 AM

the average person will do what they can get away with. and in an apartment it’s easy. that’s why apartment garbage areas get filled with “free” furniture items but you see quite a bit less of that in front of sfd curbs.

you never see a “free nightstand courtesy of unit #412” sign on the item.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 January 2019 - 09:35 AM.

• jonny likes this

#168 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:17 AM

Most modern buildings at least have cameras within the recycling room, so it's not hard to pinpoint who does what. But even there, there's no will to do so just to play garbage police with your tenants.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#169 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:45 AM

^ it's also not legal to use camera footage for that purpose.

• Nparker likes this

#170 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:45 AM

Whaddya mean?

Know it all.

#171 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:48 AM

eg. https://www.cwilson....a-corporations/

Use of the video surveillance to enforce minor bylaw enforcement was not a reasonable use and contrary to section 14(1) of the Personal Information Protection Act
The Adjudicator also concluded that daily viewing of footage from cameras in the absence of a complaint or evidence of an unauthorized entry, theft or threat to personal safety was not warranted. 

#172 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:51 AM

^ it's also not legal to use camera footage for that purpose.

That's what I would have thought.

#173 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:35 PM

The Adjudicator also concluded that daily viewing of footage from cameras in the absence of a complaint or evidence of an unauthorized entry, theft or threat to personal safety was not warranted.

There you go, all that is required is a complaint.

Know it all.

#174 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:50 PM

There you go, all that is required is a complaint.

As a strata owner, I'd want more than a single complaint to justify the installation of cameras in my recycling area.

#175 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:39 PM

I've been through this somewhat with a strata. You'll get in hot water if you try viewing the footage without a solid complaint of criminal activity. Dirty or wrong items in the bins isn't criminal AFAIK.

#176 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:00 PM

Hmmm, I see live feeds in management offices all the time and buildings with on-site security or concierge desks have live feeds continuously streaming.

Know it all.

#177 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:33 PM

some buildings do it did have a live security camera feed all residents can watch on their tv.

#178 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:42 PM

Its also illegal to watch your employees via camera

#179 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:36 PM

I pick plastic out of the compost bin from time to time, but only if it's right at the top because our compost bin is so disgusting that I'm kind of afraid of it. 

I use twist ties on the composting bags as there's no other way to do them up. When I don't,  the glop ends up loose in the bin. I don't care anymore.

#180 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:42 PM

Saw an interesting analysis out of Vancouver: although multi-family units tend to recycle at lower rates, they still overall produced less garbage than a single family house on a per unit basis.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users