CRD Recycling/garbage

• Please log in to reply
687 replies to this topic

#181 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:46 PM

I can bet you are more careful with stinky food waste etc. when it has to stick around the home a little longer between trips to the garbage room 5 flights down.

#182 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:20 PM

I can bet you are more careful with stinky food waste etc. when it has to stick around the home a little longer between trips to the garbage room 5 flights down.

Mine goes into a sealed bag in my freezer until it is time to dispose of it.

#183 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:22 PM

thats not evitonmentalky friendly.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 January 2019 - 05:23 PM.

#184 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:28 PM

thats not evitonmentalky friendly.

What is "evitonmentalky"? Something to do with males having conversations about the former first lady of Argentina?

#185 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:31 PM

I save all my veggie scraps (ends, pieces, skins, et al) in a ziploc bag in the freezer. Dump them in the pot with whatever bones when making stalk then throw the waste in compost.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 11 January 2019 - 05:32 PM.

• Nparker likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#186 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:45 PM

some buildings do it did have a live security camera feed all residents can watch on their tv.

Oh yeah, that’s very common.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#187 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:13 PM

Its also illegal to watch your employees via camera

No it’s not.

Matt.

#188 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:17 AM

I hesitate to take this further off topic however...

Employees detest the idea that a camera can be installed in their workplace – but it can often be done. If there is a problem with theft or security and the camera is trained on a specific location, it is not illegal. Employers retain the right to monitor their staff in some situations, but only if this is done in good faith and where there is a reasonable belief that an offence is being committed.

What if there is no good reason for a camera? Colleen Colwell confronted this legal issue when her boss secretly installed a hidden camera in the ceiling of her private office at her workplace in London, Ont., when he suspected the maintenance staff she supervised of stealing. When Ms. Colwell learned there was a camera watching her, she quit her job alleging 'constructive dismissal,' sued and eventually won her lawsuit when her employer admitted that she was not suspected of theft herself.

However, the Ontario Superior Court grappled in 2008 with how to award her damages. Ms. Colwell did not technically have a right to privacy, so spying on her did not violate any legal right. But employers do have an obligation to treat their employees in good faith, explained the judge in siding with Ms. Colwell. The presence of the camera in Ms. Colwell's office without her knowledge, consent or even a good reason amounted to a poisoned workplace, and on that basis she was awarded damages for constructive dismissal.

https://www.theglobe...article5104037/

And perhaps most importantly 

In Canada, surveillance cameras can only be used to record video, not audio communications

https://www.legallin...-the-workplace/

#189 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:45 AM

No it’s not.

Matt.

ya if that were true every retailer bank bar and restaurant and government office would be in violation.

#190 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:50 AM

No it’s not.

Matt.

You can watch your retail space, etc for shoplifters, etc, but you can't use the footage to catch employees

So are you saying tomorrow I can install individual security cameras at each workers desk?  Would be interesting to see how many government employees are playing solitaire or surfing VV during working hours

Mind you on the flip side I've often had employees read specific sections of employment laws and I always reply sure I will do that, but coffee breaks are cancelled from now on since they aren't law either

#191 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:10 AM

you can use the footage to curb employee theft of course you can. yiu can watch over your cash registers, your store room, your loading dock.

#192 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:08 AM

It depends on a lot of things. I have personally been involved in several cases where we have terminated employees (in a union environment) with cause using camera footage that proved theft.

Generally, if an employee works in a public space (i.e. retail) there is no general expectation of privacy and you can use surveillance footage. But you have to have cause. You can't just pick on somebody and watch them or monitor your employees for the hell of it. Everybody has an expectation of some privacy.

And generally the surveillance cameras can't be there just to monitor employees. Like you can't put a CCTV camera over Jonny's desk because you want to watch him spin around in his chair and tweet all day. They have to be installed under the guise of protecting assets, preventing theft, etc.

#193 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:14 AM

So are you saying tomorrow I can install individual security cameras at each workers desk? Would be interesting to see how many government employees are playing solitaire or surfing VV during working hours

When I was a front end supervisor for Thrifty Foods, every till had a camera on it, and when cash shortages would occur we would investigate by watching the video,and if theft could be confirmed, terminate that employee.

As for this evil government employees. VV would be a blocked website, and you are not allowed to enter a user name and password on sites on the internet (even your own bank account). If you do the security software tracks that you did and you have to answer to that. Solitaire is not even a installed option on our computers.

#194 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:17 AM

And generally the surveillance cameras can't be there just to monitor employees. Like you can't put a CCTV camera over Jonny's desk because you want to watch him spin around in his chair and tweet all day. They have to be installed under the guise of protecting assets, preventing theft, etc.

Revisit most grocery stores and pharmacies... generally there are cameras pointed at each till to watch said employee using each till, and for that purpose only.

Even Browns has a camera pointed at the bartender in the Uptown and downtown locations (can't speak for Langford as I haven't been there).

#195 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:19 AM

Solitaire must be the loneliest game software in town if it’s not on our government computers.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 January 2019 - 09:20 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#196 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:26 AM

Solitaire must be the loneliest game software in town if it’s not on our government computers.

Can't speak for those lazy provincial employees computers (NParker?!? 😋😁😂🤣)

#197 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:29 PM

Revisit most grocery stores and pharmacies... generally there are cameras pointed at each till to watch said employee using each till, and for that purpose only.

Even Browns has a camera pointed at the bartender in the Uptown and downtown locations (can't speak for Langford as I haven't been there).

Guaranteed those cameras are there under the guise of deterring robberies.

#198 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:38 PM

Heck know, cashiers knew they where there to watch every transaction...

#199 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:27 PM

You can watch your retail space, etc for shoplifters, etc, but you can't use the footage to catch employees

So are you saying tomorrow I can install individual security cameras at each workers desk?

No, I’m not saying that. I’m saying that your blanket statement that cameras are illegal in the workplace is wrong.

Matt.
  • jonny likes this

#200 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:42 PM

Heck know, cashiers knew they where there to watch every transaction...

If the union challenged management, that's what management would say.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users