Photo

CRD Recycling/garbage

• Please log in to reply
687 replies to this topic

#361 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 09:39 AM

#3 may be recyclable, but not economically. Apparently some blue-box programs don't take it: https://plasticactio...by-the-numbers/

Link says #5 is "one of the least recycled post-consumer plastics at a rate less than 1%," but Merlin has said it can and does recycle it.

#362 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 09:46 AM

Crazy. I always throw away #5. 

So what happens to the #3 we put into our blue boxes?

I don't know what to do any more. I hate the idea of carefully rinsing something just so it can be nice and clean dumped in the landfill. 

#363 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 10:01 AM

I don't think you can put many #3 items in the Blue Box in the first place. "PVC is a soft, flexible plastic used to make clear plastic food wrapping, cooking oil bottles, teething rings, children’s and pets’ toys, and blister packaging for myriad consumer products. It is commonly used as the sheathing material for computer cables, to make plastic pipes and parts for plumbing, and in garden hoses. Because PVC is relatively impervious to sunlight and weather, it is used to make window frames, garden hoses, arbors, raised beds and trellises." Source: https://learn.earthe...by-the-numbers/

My solution: check the packaging when you shop. If your cooking oil is in #3, buy another brand. Who wants their food to come in contact with PVC anyway? https://clearandwell...stic-food-wrap/

#364 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 06:41 AM

Greta is not going to be happy (though she never is).

"Recycling of plastics has mostly been a crock"

https://nationalpost...-sham-all-along

#365 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 06:46 AM

One of the things that really rubs me about the mainstream press is this mindset that they think they represent what society knows or doesn’t know, or can and can’t know.

“We can finally admit...”

Dude. You’re a little late to the party here.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#366 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 05:19 PM

I'm more likely to buy the cooking oil I prefer, or one which I consider healthy. The packaging is the least of my concerns.

• Redd42 likes this

#367 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 12:24 PM

News 1130:

Human remains found in recycling bin off Kits Point coast

The remains were found in a large blue recycling bin in the water off of Kits Point on Sunday, according to Vancouver Police. The Canadian Coast Guard recovered the bin after multiple calls around 11 a.m. Police are asking people and property managers in the area to check if they're missing a recycling bin.

police are particularly eager to hear from people and property managers in the area that are missing both their recycling bin, and a family member/tenant.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 October 2020 - 12:33 PM.

#368 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 09:01 PM

So today we decided we were going to do a cleanout of the storage room area. We had tons of empty boxes for stuff we had bought, lots of styrofoam packaging and bunches of metal parts and pieces. The only place you can take styrofoam to recycle is down on Ellery St. in Esquimalt. I have never been in that area before but it was a beehive of activity. To drive into the parking lot you have to navigate a pothole that is at least a foot deep. Job done, now we have to go to Schnitzer Steel to get rid of the metal. Never been in that area before either and won't be making a quick return. The steel yard makes every crime scene in industrial areas that you have seen in movies look like parkland.

Fun times.

• Matt R. likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#369 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 09:22 PM

Doesn't Hartland accept Styrofoam in the recycling area? They list it under "no charge items" so I assume they do https://www.crd.bc.c...c-drop-off-area

potentially a long drive depending where you are I guess though. 

#370 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 09:32 PM

Yes, Hartland takes styrofoam. It was nice to get rid of the big batch we had. I'm pretty sure you don't have to pay if all you're doing is bringing in recycling. London Drugs takes styrofoam, too. 

#371 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 10:12 PM

Some of the "return it" depots also take styrofoam and other drop off recyclables such as soft plastics. The "Bottle Depots" stopped accepting them, but other depots like the one in Sidney still take them.

#372 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 03:46 PM

This is sort of a garbage question, I guess. A house I often pass on my walks, over the past six months to a year, has turned into an outdoor garbage dump of sorts. We can't figure out what's going on there. It used to have a lovely tidy garden, but now there are two campers in the driveway, the entire front yard is full of "stuff" - broken chairs, furniture, bins, flower pots, an old couch, bits of wood all over, like an outdoor hoarding situation. The front porch is covered in debris. They have one of those yellow storage things on the boulevard (been there for months), plus a continual supply of garbage bags and broken furniture and household items spreading out on the boulevard. Now I have noticed a van has taken up residence in front (I've seen the female and her dog going into the house). You can't see the yard unless you're on foot, it's 608 Trutch St. Sure is a weird set-up and a huge mess. There was a plastic Rubbermaid bin full of old leaves and water there the other day, the smell was horrible! 

Edited by mbjj, 15 January 2021 - 03:50 PM.

#373 johnk2

johnk2
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 03:50 PM

I pass houses like that, too. I always think its occupied by an unemployable who inherited it.

#374 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 03:51 PM

^ ^ any negatives though?  i think houses like that are a real gem.  every neighbourhood used to have several.

i like the houses that are shrouded in trees/mystery like this one:

https://www.google.c...!7i13312!8i6656

or these ones:

https://www.google.c...!4d-123.3747216

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 January 2021 - 03:55 PM.

• Rob Randall likes this

#375 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 08:25 AM

Oh ya, the house near Fisherman's Wharf. Have often wondered about it. The house on the Meares corner looks like a cool house. Guess I won't be seeing it twice a week as I used to as I can't drive on Vancouver any longer, har har. 

As for the other house on Trutch, years ago we knew the owner. He was American and moved back there. He had a cocker spaniel that my daughter used to say hello to. Then it was owned (I guess) by a couple who seemed to run it as some kind of group home. They had a lovely garden. There was a fellow who had suffered a brain injury living there.  We would see him walking all over town. I used to see the owner working out at the Y. There was also a lady, perhaps not capable of working, but "she's all there", if you know what I mean. She is still living there as I've seen her going in, but the workout guy from the Y suddenly disappeared, maybe two years ago? Whoever is in there now hasn't been there more than a couple of years. The negative with this place is it's becoming an almighty mess. Glad I'm not the neighbour as the fence is starting to collapse as well. 

Edited by mbjj, 16 January 2021 - 08:26 AM.

#376 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 09:00 AM

^You may be interested in the play "The Trutch Street Women".

#377 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 11:30 AM

https://www.victoria...ylaw-07-050.pdf

#378 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 05:07 PM

I know the house and the story well, I just rebuilt the fence between the house and the apartment beside.. Older lady who is definitely dealing with hoarding issues, a tenant who likes to build stuff at 3am while high as a kite, now people living in campers in the driveway. City is well aware. Bylaw has fined her and put a stop work order on the back she’d her former impaired tenant was working on. Neighbours are fed up for sure.

Oh ya, the house near Fisherman's Wharf. Have often wondered about it. The house on the Meares corner looks like a cool house. Guess I won't be seeing it twice a week as I used to as I can't drive on Vancouver any longer, har har.

As for the other house on Trutch, years ago we knew the owner. He was American and moved back there. He had a cocker spaniel that my daughter used to say hello to. Then it was owned (I guess) by a couple who seemed to run it as some kind of group home. They had a lovely garden. There was a fellow who had suffered a brain injury living there. We would see him walking all over town. I used to see the owner working out at the Y. There was also a lady, perhaps not capable of working, but "she's all there", if you know what I mean. She is still living there as I've seen her going in, but the workout guy from the Y suddenly disappeared, maybe two years ago? Whoever is in there now hasn't been there more than a couple of years. The negative with this place is it's becoming an almighty mess. Glad I'm not the neighbour as the fence is starting to collapse as well.

#379 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 12:08 PM

“Oak Bay residents can now discard of yard waste in green bins“

“The change comes with a switch to GFL Environmental as the contractor curbside organics“: https://www.saanichn...-in-green-bins/

#380 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 12:09 PM

It's the most sensible things since sliced bread. My mum's bin is 95% empty when the CoV picks it up. When will they change their rules to accept garden waste?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users