Photo

Public Art - Do you like it? e.g. Arena or Bastion Sq.?

• Please log in to reply
400 replies to this topic

#261 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 10:53 AM

I have no idea my parents refused to let me take sex-ed.

#262 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 11:25 AM

I have no idea my parents refused to let me take sex-ed.

Here's some Jeff Koons vaguely sexual octupus-related art that might tickle your fancy:

http://www.jeffkoons...ereal/bluepoles

• todd likes this

#263 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 02:36 PM

Everybody hates this: https://youtu.be/CJparpU4HCo

#264 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 12 October 2019 - 04:17 PM

Soon to be relocated to the foot of the Johnson Street Bridge, if the City's plan goes ahead.

Well, I assume it's moving this month because Commerce Canoe is all fenced off with tarp and they've dug out the base to expose where it's bolted down.

#265 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,555 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 05:51 PM

Very good. Thanks for the update.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#266 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:00 AM

Sad. It really made Bastion Square in my opinion. They are just doing this because they screwed the pooch on getting the art that was supposed to go ready I suppose.
  • aastra likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#267 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:25 AM

It's ridiculous to move it. A great deal of effort was made to chose a piece of artwork suitable for Bastion Square. A lot of artists submitted detailed plans and after a lot of deliberation the tulips were chosen. Now it's to be ripped out and relocated. The artist is OK with it but really, what else could he say? So does Bastion Square get another replacement artwork? If so, why do the stupid relocation and simply get a custom piece done for the bridge area.

• aastra likes this

#268 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,555 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:36 AM

I believe there will be a First Nations art installation in the square to replace the piece being moved.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#269 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:46 AM

...why do the stupid relocation and simply get a custom piece done for the bridge area.

I can give you at least 105 million reasons why a custom art piece became out of the question for the JSB site - each of them including a "$"

And the replacement piece for Bastion Square better be damn cheap, like "gift to the city" cheap.

Edited by Nparker, 13 October 2019 - 09:47 AM.

#270 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,555 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:07 AM

It was estimated that the surfboard concept would cost nearly twice the anticipated budget of ~$250k to procure and install, so they dropped the idea.

Know it all.

#271 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:21 AM

One place I am not in favour of saving money is on public art. We already have a significant deficit of it.

It has a whole new look!

#272 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:22 AM

There is a statue just gathering dust that could go in Bastion Square I suppose.
  • Nparker and grantpalin like this

It has a whole new look!

#273 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:24 AM

Is this another case of an idea being floated.. and next thing you know it’s a fait accompli?

48892528311_333225eeee_z.jpgTransplanting - root removal by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

#274 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:45 AM

Moving it is a terrible idea. It was a site specific installation, and it completely makes Bastion Square.

• Mike K., aastra and Rob Randall like this

#275 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 11:10 AM

One place I am not in favour of saving money is on public art. We already have a significant deficit of it.

In an ideal world, I would agree, however we have a local government that seems to be incapable of managing a budget, so cuts have to be made somewhere. As a taxpayer I can't afford to have a 24% annual increase in my property taxes even if some of that money is going to the arts.

#276 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,039 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 12:00 PM

Moving it is a terrible idea. It was a site specific installation, and it completely makes Bastion Square.

bastion merchants wanted it gone.  

#277 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 12:13 PM

bastion merchants wanted it gone.  

Who? Why? It isn't near any merchants, and couldn't possibly have been doing Darcy's or The Local any harm.

#278 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 12:54 PM

I think the major issue with this particular art installation is that it was successful. It ended up being a great fit, popular with tourists, just the right scale, just the right splash of colour, and a defining element of the square. Hence, it needed to go, in order to create more of that disruption, controversy, and crisis that feeds the political machine.

Hopefully whatever replaces it will be hugely controversial, awkward, detrimental to the Bastion Square vibe, way too small or way too big, etc.

#279 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 01:03 PM

Methinks it's a classic case of trying to fix what isn't broken. Crikey, Victorians have had such an uneasy relationship with public art installations in recent years, and yet the one that gets dealt with is the last one that anybody thought needed to be dealt with.

#280 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 01:48 PM

The only reason Commerce Canoe is being moved is that it will fit in the JSB space and that its replacement in Bastion Square (a 30-foot welcoming pole) is going to be cheaper than a custom piece at the bridge site. CC's purpose or success at the Square is irrelevant to the decision. Just one more failure by our local government.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users