West Shore Express Passenger Ferry | Royal Bay to Victoria

• Please log in to reply
310 replies to this topic

#121 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,083 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 08:34 AM

these will be much smaller and less capable. come on. here’s the deal: quit the malarkey.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 October 2020 - 08:35 AM.

• Rob Randall, Matt R. and Spy Black like this

#122 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 08:36 AM

nobody sits on the highway anymore. traffic moves due to the new interchange plus we have more bus lanes.

transit is no more a flop here than any similar sized city.

We’re not talking about the service today, during COVID, but in ten years when things are back to normal.

The bus lanes are a marginal benefit due to buses stopping so often and blocking each other, turning vehicles and overall congestion. They’re not super effective, but they do cut a few minutes from a trip if everything aligns.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#123 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 08:38 AM

in 10 years we all have 5G speeds. why would anyone go to an “office”? gross.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 October 2020 - 08:38 AM.

#124 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 08:38 AM

these will be much smaller and less capable. come on. here’s the deal: quit the malarkey.

If we’re prepared to build rail, at a billion bucks plus, let’s give the ferry idea a try. Why not? Two ports already exist. Plenty of vessels can be leased for a trial run. This can be tested with a relatively small investment.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#125 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 08:39 AM

except eveyeone will make excuses for the trial failure.

blue boats replacement already failed. before the interchange.

langtoria nice bus failed.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 October 2020 - 08:41 AM.

#126 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 08:39 AM

It’s just about movement of people. Not everything is work related. I mean look at the congestion on Saturdays and Sundays, that’s nearly all pleasure travel but it can be much worse than Mon-Fri commuter traffic in some areas of town.

Know it all.

#127 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 08:43 AM

except eveyeone will make excuses for the trial failure.

blue boats replacement already failed. before the interchange.

We’re just not at the population densities yet. But by 2030 or 2040 we certainly will be.

Anyways, I’m quite certain it will be less than promised once it runs and people won’t be nutty over it, but at least we wouldn’t have spent $1.5 billion on a rail line.

Know it all.

#128 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 08:49 AM

except if stay at home technology (doctor visits, remote work, shop at home) parallels population growth then there is no need for more movement options.

#129 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 09:06 AM

Monorail.

After all, it put Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook on the map.

• Matt R. and Brayvehart like this

#130 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 09:10 AM

except if stay at home technology (doctor visits, remote work, shop at home) parallels population growth then there is no need for more movement options.

If stay-at-home technology continues, this is probably what we'll see in terms of population "growth".

wall-e humans.jpg

Edited by Nparker, 04 October 2020 - 09:11 AM.

• Matt R., lanforod, On the Level and 1 other like this

#131 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 11:06 AM

Outside of sleep, I can't handle being home for more than about 4-5 hours before going stir crazy. Regardless of how much stuff can be done from home, I'll always want to get out and about to do most of the stuff I want to do or need to do, and I'd imagine many will feel the same.

• Nparker and FogPub like this

#132 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 11:41 AM

Outside of sleep, I can't handle being home for more than about 4-5 hours before going stir crazy. Regardless of how much stuff can be done from home, I'll always want to get out and about to do most of the stuff I want to do or need to do, and I'd imagine many will feel the same.

Agreed.  I am grateful I can work from home but I hate it.   Cabin Fever.......

• Nparker and Brantastic like this

#133 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 11:46 AM

How about develop the oceanfront properly somewhere out there? Then they can have their own “harbour”.

Langford waterfront would be great!

Langford would have to annex Colwood or Metchosin for an oceanfront.

#134 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 12:20 PM

Langford would have to annex Colwood or Metchosin for an oceanfront.

lol...  Langford does have waterfront out on the Goldstream side but it isn't yet developed.....

#135 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 04:25 PM

Honest question: in what way is a passenger ferry (water taxi) better than an aerial gondola/tram ?

Benefits of a tram or gondola lift:
- smaller shared cabins than bus or ferry. Better for social distance and comfort/privacy
- doesn’t require expensive labour to operate (ferries need TC trained crew)
- great view. Maybe combine it with a space needle-type observatory attraction
- Can only assume it’s cheaper than operating a boat in salt water wrt maintenance etc.
- can operate at speeds 30 - 45 km/h, maybe more

I think it would be cool to start a BC gondola thing. Send one from swartz bay to salt spring, maybe one to mill bay, etc.

For commuter traffic you could install it right in the median of the highway. Or make a direct route and go from langford over mill hill.

You’d just need security to avoid a grouse mountain vandalism incident. And possibly adjust harbour air’s flight paths.

Edited by max.bravo, 04 October 2020 - 04:27 PM.

#136 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 05:07 PM

We have an issue with Edward Scissorhands.

Know it all.

#137 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 06:11 PM

lol...  Langford does have waterfront out on the Goldstream side but it isn't yet developed.....

That's going to be one hell of a long ride around to the Inner Harbour ... you'd be faster walking :)

That would give an entirely new twist to phoning into work in downtown Victoria to tell your boss you'll be late because there was an accident on the Malahat ... but you live by Costco.

• On the Level likes this

#138 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 06:17 PM

Honest question: in what way is a passenger ferry (water taxi) better than an aerial gondola/tram ?

I think you just need to look at the mile long lift lineups at Whistler/Blackcomb on a busy day to see the issue with loading and unloading gondolas ... and why they're not used anywhere for mass transit.

In Manhattan, as Victoria Watcher pointed out, they have a gondola the goes to Roosevelt Island, but that's only serving a population of about 10,000 people, far from the projected 125,000 to 150,000 expected to populate the Westshore in the next few years.

#139 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 06:24 PM

^Good point. Alright im off that idea.

#140 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 08:11 PM

Portland commuter gondola carries 10k per day.

https://en.m.wikiped...and_Aerial_Tram

Colwood mayor says ferry only expected to carry 3000 per day. Or less I guess. It’s only expected to “remove 1000 cars” a day.

https://www.timescol...oria-1.23879609

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 October 2020 - 08:14 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users