Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8755 replies to this topic

#1 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:55 PM

Didn't want to start up a thread for a place that I did not know the name of and then realized that with all the new places coming and old places going that happens in this city it would be useful to have a distinct thread.

So here are my two openings:

In Quadra Village there is a sign saying South Asian Kebab Restaurant Opening soon. Still not open though but sounds promising. This is in the former Shag's Fish and Chips

The other is there are coming soon signs in the former Hunter's/Platinum (it was something else too???) location in the Dalton Hotel. No idea what it is but it says New management. Anywyas since the glory days of Hunter's in the mid 90's I think the only people to make money in that location are designers and contractors.

Still nothing downstairs. I wish they would turn it back into a straight up drinking hole like when it was Triple's.

Triple's was IMO the closest thing we had to an american big city bar/tavern. We just don't have places like that...

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:19 AM

For a while Triple's space (although it wasn't called Triple's at the time) had waitresses wearing skimpy lingerie. Apparently that contravened some bylaw, or something to that effect, and the place was shut down.

Anyways, I'm curious about the Hunter's location, too. The black signage has only recently appeared and there's no hint of the ownership or the nature of the place.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:48 AM

^ Really? How did I miss that?

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:33 AM

For a while Triple's space (although it wasn't called Triple's at the time) had waitresses wearing skimpy lingerie. Apparently that contravened some bylaw, or something to that effect, and the place was shut down.

...this was one of the servers at the time, and this is not work/girlfriend/spouse/child safe:

http://www.justsasha.com/

She is still working as a waitress around town...

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:47 AM

Yup, I remember her.

Imagine walking down the long staircase for the firs time, wondering what on earth was going on in this subterranean space, when low and behold you walk through the door and see peeps sitting around on comfy couches, drinking beer served by waitresses in lingerie and listening to music not often heard in bars and clubs.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:43 AM

Anywyas since the glory days of Hunter's in the mid 90's I think the only people to make money in that location are designers and contractors.

With Duncan Morrison involved, highly unlikely;)

By the way, great idea for thread, g-man

#7 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 05:22 PM

Yup, I remember her.

Imagine walking down the long staircase for the firs time, wondering what on earth was going on in this subterranean space, when low and behold you walk through the door and see peeps sitting around on comfy couches, drinking beer served by waitresses in lingerie and listening to music not often heard in bars and clubs.

Well they won't get the newly-wed in there and the nearly-dead are safely tucked in at home after dark.
But I can imagine it..... (sigh):(

#8 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:39 AM

The abandoned beer and wine store in the parking lot of the Dalton Hotel (formerly the Dominion) will see new life this summer.
Chef Patrick Lynch - formerly of Sanuk - and business partner Sterling Grice - ex Mint - have taken on the space which will be transformed into part take-out, part sit down for Asian street food.
The name? Gweilo Asian Street Food.
Price Point? $7 - $8.00. Think pad thai, banh mi, red curries and butter chicken.

#9 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:01 AM

The abandoned beer and wine store in the parking lot of the Dalton Hotel (formerly the Dominion) will see new life this summer.
Chef Patrick Lynch - formerly of Sanuk - and business partner Sterling Grice - ex Mint - have taken on the space which will be transformed into part take-out, part sit down for Asian street food.
The name? Gweilo Asian Street Food.
Price Point? $7 - $8.00. Think pad thai, banh mi, red curries and butter chicken.

That is a joke right? Does the guy even know what Gweilo means?

#10 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:20 AM

He probably does. That's something you can take into consideration before eating there.

#11 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:53 AM

It is similar to Gringo which most people have little problem with. Are they going to use any of the parking lot as a patio?

#12 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:55 AM

It is similar to Gringo which most people have little problem with. Are they going to use any of the parking lot as a patio?

It is not similar to Gringo. To a lot of people living on the west coast it is an extremely offensive term.

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:34 PM

I didn't know what it meant, had to look it up. That's my learnin' for the day.

#14 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:42 PM

Gweilo... I've been called that and "John" quite a few times.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#15 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:41 PM

It is not similar to Gringo. To a lot of people living on the west coast it is an extremely offensive term.

Why would people on the West Coast find this offensive as opposed to anywhere else?
  • Danma likes this

#16 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:31 PM

He does and so does his business partner. Has the term lost it's negative impact? it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

#17 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:36 PM

Bout time whitey got what's coming to him.

http://theyalwayscom...-drink-mix.html
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#18 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:04 PM

Why would people on the West Coast find this offensive as opposed to anywhere else?

Because of the ethnicity of the population.

Anyways, I was just asking if it was a joke. Sounds like the owners know what they are doing.

And by the way, it would be the same as if a couple of white guys opened up a restaurant called the " fried chicken for n#$%@#"

#19 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:26 PM

Because of the ethnicity of the population.

Anyways, I was just asking if it was a joke. Sounds like the owners know what they are doing.

And by the way, it would be the same as if a couple of white guys opened up a restaurant called the " fried chicken for n#$%@#"

You bring up an interesting point, spanky. Where and when does one draw the line?
I'm curious if they have registered the name.

#20 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:11 PM

You bring up an interesting point, spanky. Where and when does one draw the line?
I'm curious if they have registered the name.

The line is drawn @ Italians. I'm a public sector employee and senior managers will speak to me in "Luigi-the-organ-grinder" affected accent. Or in a meeting, they suggested not to piss me off or I'd whack them. These are senior level folks who would never ask my black colleague for some fried chicken or walk up to my Chinese admin ass't and say sho sholley, prease. It's the last bastion of acceptable racism.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)