Photo

Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8755 replies to this topic

#41 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,220 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 12:45 PM

Tried to go to THE OFFICE on Wednesday, it was not open around 3pm.

Must be keeping office hours.:P

#42 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,784 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 03:03 PM

I see there is a sign up for sale or lease of a restaurant space in the new Parkside building at Blanshard and Humboldt.

It could be a difficult location as Humboldt is not a busy pedestrian or vehicle street.

#43 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:52 PM

^It'll have to be something high end, hotelly.

#44 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:28 AM

Or maybe something CFD, like a Cactus Club or a Milestones. it might be the right ticket for bringing more life to that end of town. Tough time to open a restaurant of that size though.

#45 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:35 AM

Checked out the Flying Otter last night. Can't really recall what it was like when I was there last as whatever it was called formerly. Anyway,
I guess it's OK.

#46 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,784 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 11:05 AM

^ The what?

#47 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 13 July 2009 - 11:28 AM

Checked out the Flying Otter last night. Can't really recall what it was like when I was there last as whatever it was called formerly. Anyway,
I guess it's OK.

Used to be the Blackfish Cafe, in the Harbour Air terminal. I went there a few days after it opened and - forgiving some obvious growing pains, having only been open for three days - I thought it was pretty good - defintely an improvement on BFC. The decor was nice, the food better and the pints were cheap. We sat outside on the wharf, next to a couple of boats/floatplanes.

VHF, why just OK?

#48 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 12:12 PM

Used to be the Blackfish Cafe, in the Harbour Air terminal. I went there a few days after it opened and - forgiving some obvious growing pains, having only been open for three days - I thought it was pretty good - defintely an improvement on BFC. The decor was nice, the food better and the pints were cheap. We sat outside on the wharf, next to a couple of boats/floatplanes.

VHF, why just OK?

Flying Otter in Victoria, and the Flying Beaver in Vancouver, both owned I do believe by Harbour Air.

#49 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,784 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 12:13 PM

Cool!!

I was wondering why the name was clanging bells for me. I often do the YWH - YVR run with Harbour Air and they of course have the Flying Beaver at the YVR side. If it is going to be along the same lines than I am sure it will be great.

Any idea on the hours?

#50 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,220 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 12:19 PM

Any idea on the hours?

Not exactly the hours of operation, but this link does mention breakfast, lunch & dinner: http://www.harbour-a...west_waterfront_

Sorry that link doesn't seem to work. Try using http://www.harbour-air.com and look under their news link.

#51 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:47 AM

The fancy furniture store opposite the Shelbourne Plaza is gone, replaced with something called "The Tropic Island Restaurant". There looked to be a near full house when I went by the other day.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#52 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:51 AM

source

My first encounter with lamb shanks dates back to Christmas break 2005. My wife and I had traveled to Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, and I’d ordered some in an Irish restaurant.

Huh?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#53 Kikadee

Kikadee
  • 247 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:07 AM

I'd say he's referring to the Irish Times Pub, which features a pretty delectable Lobster Bisque!

#54 phx

phx
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:07 PM

The fancy furniture store opposite the Shelbourne Plaza is gone, replaced with something called "The Tropic Island Restaurant". There looked to be a near full house when I went by the other day.

The furniture store was next door to the Tropical Island. Speaking of which, I highly recommend the green curry chicken lunch special.

#55 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:25 PM

Of course, the Irish Times opened before 2005. It was the Bard and Banker that opened later. I got them switched around.

#56 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:25 AM

I just noticed this morning that the Serious Coffee that moved from Broad and Yates to Broad and View this Summer is closed due to bankruptcy.

The local grape vine told me that they just couldn't make a go of it with their monthly rent of $9500. I can only imagine how much the renos cost to switch it from the former Eugene's interior to a Serious Coffee...

$9500? Holy Smokes. Ya gotta sell a lot of coffee to cover that.

#57 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:22 PM

Sambo's Pancake House was open for quite awhile.

#58 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,784 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:07 PM

What is Sambo's pancake house?

#59 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:58 PM

What is Sambo's pancake house?

A pancake chain based on Little Black Sambo, which would not be politically correct today... apparently they had over 1000 restaurants at one time. Something tells me the restaurant at Cedar Hill mall (Brannigan's) used to be a Sambo's.

#60 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,784 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:09 PM

^This wasn't a recent coming or going then...

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

73 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 70 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (3)