Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8817 replies to this topic

#61 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:57 AM

Recent posts about coffee shops have been moved to the coffee discussion thread http://vibrantvictor...read.php?t=1712 :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#62 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:37 PM

De Dutch has closed, maybe it's been gone for a while, never really noticed before. Premises are for lease.

Too bad, they has some pretty filling food.

#63 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:24 PM

^You're talking about the Downtown one; presumably the upper Quadra location still exists. I ate there once. It was alright for a chain restaurant although if you start piling on the add-ons the final bill will surprise you.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#64 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:18 PM

Billy's Bistro in Centennial Square has closed, it has a sign in the window from the landlord (the City) saying they have changed the locks because of abandonment (dated Jan 30th IIRC).

#65 Van

Van
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:28 PM

Billy's Bistro in Centennial Square has closed, it has a sign in the window from the landlord (the City) saying they have changed the locks because of abandonment (dated Jan 30th IIRC).

Not much luck in that location. Wasn't that a bakery last year?

#66 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:46 PM

Not much luck in that location. Wasn't that a bakery last year?

A couple years ago it was a restaurant that specialized in desserts, yes.

#67 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:18 PM

It ain't the restaurants its the location.

#68 Guest_Talia_*

Guest_Talia_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2010 - 01:16 PM

Has anyone heard about a new restaurant opening up in Saanich that will be serving European food?

#69 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 01:41 PM

^European as in shawarma and kebab?

#70 hotdoglegz

hotdoglegz
  • 120 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 11:34 PM

Has anyone heard about a new restaurant opening up in Saanich that will be serving European food?

Russian maybe?

#71 hotdoglegz

hotdoglegz
  • 120 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 11:36 PM

I heard today that Topo's has closed. If true, it certainly doesn't help that location's reputation: Harvest Moon, 1218 Warf, Bravo and now Topo's. All places that haven't lasted long.

#72 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 11:58 PM

^I don't know if you've ever noticed but there's an apartment directly above the restaurant. A widow lived there for many years but she died recently.

#73 Van

Van
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:05 AM

Closed? Bad timing, since they're apart of the Dine Around Victoria...

#74 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:51 AM

So where did the Little Piggy Bakery move too?

#75 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:08 AM

Anyone know if there is any cafeteria in the police station? Just vending machines? I still see a lot of cops walking over to the Serious Coffee every day, actually moreso civilians than uniformed officers, but I suppose the latter can grab a bite on the go and probably stretch out their break a little better than an office worker can. I know some cops go to the curling club cafe, and now they have the Knotty Bean across the road, but still many hike to the Serious, and I swear that takes up 15 minutes of their break just for the return trip.

#76 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:47 AM

So where did the Little Piggy Bakery move too?

Fernwood Village.

#77 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:19 AM

Now open:

St. James Grill in the space formerly known as de Dutch in the Best Western at Johnson and Broad.
Daily 7-2

#78 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:15 AM

A little taste of Rome
La Dolce Vita plys customers with traditional Italian dishes

Alessandro, left, and Freddy Azouri want to create an authentic Italian experience for guests.

Photograph by: Bruce Stotesbury
By Andrew A. Duffy
Times Colonist, March 13, 2010

Legend has it the twins Romulus and Remus founded Rome, though it was Romulus who finished it and gave it his name after killing his brother.

Well, there's a decidedly less-violent parallel being established deep in the heart of Saanich as a pair of Roman brothers are establishing a little slice of Rome on the Island with La Dolce Vita restaurant[...]

http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz0iYYziJ3P

This is the old Bagga Pasta in Shelbourne Plaza, next to A&W. It has been La Dolce Vita for awhile, but recently sold to this pair of scoundrels. HAHA, j/k, I know Alex & Fredo and they're great guys - your typical, passionate Italian caffe owners.

They've always been associated with the food industry - Alex on the caffe/barista side of things, although he's been working as a courier for awhile. This is good for him, as he's a bit mercurial and I think he's finally figured out what he wants to be when he grows up. ;)

And I think Fredo, who's a bit more serious, opened up Portofino Bakery in Broadmead Village a few years back before selling it. That was a hell of a bakery (it may still be, haven't hung out there in years).

I've been to their house for dinner and man, if they can cook like their mother and (late) father, these guys ought to do well.

#79 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:20 PM

Interesting news! Thanks for posting, Bob. I'll be checking things out soon.

#80 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 03:12 PM

A new restaurant has finally opened in the space in Cadboro Bay Village that for years was Paul's (aka Paul's University Bistro when the pub across the street became a draw) and has been a couple of other places (at least) and served as Ida Chong's campaign office. It's called Nostalgie and is open for lunch and dinner.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users