Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8755 replies to this topic

#21 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:30 PM

The line is drawn @ Italians. I'm a public sector employee and senior managers will speak to me in "Luigi-the-organ-grinder" affected accent. Or in a meeting, they suggested not to piss me off or I'd whack them. These are senior level folks who would never ask my black colleague for some fried chicken or walk up to my Chinese admin ass't and say sho sholley, prease. It's the last bastion of acceptable racism.

In that case:

Q: how did the Italian Mafia Boss burn his lasagna?
A: ah, he forgotaboutit.

#22 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:25 PM

Gweilo Asian Street Food.

And by the way, it would be the same as if a couple of white guys opened up a restaurant called the " fried chicken for n#$%@#"

Hmmm, wouldn't a better analogy be "Soul food for honkies"?

Its a little less offensive because the white guys are calling themselves gweilos.

It took me a while to realize that this was the same as kwai loh, which is how I've always seen it spelled....

#23 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:00 PM

In that case:

Q: how did the Italian Mafia Boss burn his lasagna?
A: ah, he forgotaboutit.

See what I mean? You better hope you have eyes in the back of your head when you go out. Stay out of dark alleys. ;)

#24 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:42 PM

I see the former Pereklis site is now going to be the Podium Sports Grill. I'll be damned if lower Yates is not one of the coolest new areas in this old city.

#25 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 03:03 PM

It's the last bastion of acceptable racism.

Making jokes about Italians is racism?

#26 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 03:19 PM

^ Hey I just got this back on topic!!!

#27 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 11:06 PM

haha!
:D
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:14 AM

I see the former Pereklis site is now going to be the Podium Sports Grill. I'll be damned if lower Yates is not one of the coolest new areas in this old city.

ANY HINT OF an OPENING DATE?

#29 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:52 PM

It looked almost done when I walked by. Very nice though the contrast with the rest of that building was a bit much. They should have painted the whole thing.

#30 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:28 PM

The Pink Sugar Cupcakery is opening in the 700 block of Fort.

#31 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 02:04 PM

The former Hunters location is re-opening as a lounge known as The Office. Does anybody else think this is a weird name? For most people, after spending all day or all week in an office, the last thing they want to do is go to another office.................

Re the opening of a cupcakes specialty coffee shop - I was out and about driving in the rain on Victoria day wanting to get a coffee and pastry and found a new coffee shop on Estevan that specializes in coffee and cupcakes. Literally the only pastry to eat was (a wide variety of) cupcakes. I didn't want a cupcake, so we left and found another coffee place.
Pieta VanDyke

#32 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 02:30 PM

I love cupcakes but that is just me.

I think the idea behind a place names the office is so that when you loved one or boss call and ask where you are you can say "I'm at the office"

#33 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:35 PM

I love cupcakes but that is just me.

I think the idea behind a place names the office is so that when you loved one or boss call and ask where you are you can say "I'm at the office"

I believe they lifted the name from a bar on the beach in Cabo.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#34 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:44 PM

Actually it turns out that from a basic internet search that this may be one of the least original names for a bar /lounge....

Google: "the office" restaurant

#35 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:58 PM

There is a new place where Cafe Teatro used to be called Saigon Sub, unfortunately they havn't taken down the old awning yet...

#36 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:08 AM

The electricity stills seems to be on but the furniture has been stacked up. Anyone have the skinny on what's happening to the Temple space.
A classic sign was posted a few months back citing exciting renovations and an opening date of May but that has come and gone.

#37 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:54 AM

The location is amazing but the style was just a bit too exclusive for the average Victorian (and I don't mean the cost). It was hard to feel comfortable there.

#38 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:06 AM

^Too austere and hard-edged? Victorians prefer something a bit more rumpled? You may be right. The food was good, though.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#39 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:23 AM

It was too trendy IMO. Places like that are designed to be opened in NYC and rake in money for about 2 years then close and remodel. In Victoria you have to build something that will be popular for at least a 5 - 10 year horizon.

I would say Victorians like trendy but yes rumpled like Brasserie L'Ecole or Solomon's or Camille's, you know a little yellowing of the wallpaper...

#40 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:33 AM

Tried to go to THE OFFICE on Wednesday, it was not open around 3pm.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

65 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 54 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (8), Bing (1), pikabu, conga