Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8786 replies to this topic

#2121 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 11:19 AM

Ok, so it looks like the Old Vic Fish and Chips place is undergoing a reno and has not closed.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2122 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 11:21 AM

When I go for fish and chips I am really not into standing in a cue that is very long such as RFBF out side on a dock with not nearly enough seats. I think RFBF is a bit of a novelty because of the shipping container feeling.

Barbs is OK with me but their small local business is gone its all big time now mostly tourists.

Old British, Haultain, The one on Fairfield by Moss as well as the one on Estavan in Oak Bay are all nice. Haultain is good because it still has the small greasy spoon feel with lots of character and characters inside

I used to really enjoy a fish and chip shop which is long gong Used to be at Admirals and Esq rd in the 80s and early 90s before the current condo was built

#2123 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 12:06 PM

RFBF is popular because it is easily the best fish. Novelty has very little to do with it.

• jonny and Danma like this

#2124 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 12:22 PM

When I go for fish and chips I am really not into standing in a cue that is very long such as RFBF out side on a dock with not nearly enough seats. I think RFBF is a bit of a novelty because of the shipping container feeling.

Barbs is OK with me but their small local business is gone its all big time now mostly tourists.

Old British, Haultain, The one on Fairfield by Moss as well as the one on Estavan in Oak Bay are all nice. Haultain is good because it still has the small greasy spoon feel with lots of character and characters inside

I used to really enjoy a fish and chip shop which is long gong Used to be at Admirals and Esq rd in the 80s and early 90s before the current condo was built

RFBF has lasted too long to be considered a novelty.

The Fish Store is way better than Barb's IMHO when at Fisherman's Wharf. The Halibut Malu (soup) is from another world.

#2125 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 02:45 PM

Cod tails are still cheap.

Matt.

#2126 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:29 PM

So for example what makes a Piece of Deep Fried Battered Halibut better at RFBF than at Barbs?

#2127 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:45 PM

So the Esquimalt Mexican restaurant is rumored to be taking over the old Kings Deli. Don't know if it's a second location or a move.
  • Mr_E_Squirrel likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#2128 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:23 PM

By far the best halibut and chips is at Naughty Nellies, but don't go at dinner time or you won't get in.

Here's a recent comment on Trip Advisor which is inaccurate. The place is on Shelbourne near the old winery.

Nice location on the harbour

We ate on the patio during Blues Fest which was a treat. Great house wine and tasty finger food. We would go back.

http://www.tripadvis...ct_Vancouv.html

• Matt R. likes this

#2129 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:09 PM

So for example what makes a Piece of Deep Fried Battered Halibut better at RFBF than at Barbs?

Fresher oil, better chips, half the price, more choices. And fish tacos.

By far the best halibut and chips is at Naughty Nellies, but don't go at dinner time or you won't get in.

Here's a recent comment on Trip Advisor which is inaccurate. The place is on Shelbourne near the old winery.

I suspect they meant Nautical Nellies, which matches the rest of that description. They have a good fish and chips, less battered and a bit healthier. I like the location, but it's arguably overpriced.

Edited by Greg, 05 October 2015 - 09:09 PM.

#2130 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:51 PM

The one on Fairfield by Moss as well as the one on Estavan in Oak Bay are all nice. Haultain is good because it still has the small greasy spoon feel with lots of character and characters inside

Those are the best 3 for my money as well.

#2131 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 06:23 AM

Fresher oil, better chips, half the price, more choices. And fish tacos

Huh That is interesting I just checked the menus online and there inst anything half price at RFBF compared to any other fish and chip shop in this city in fact the prices are all about the same. Just wondering what you found that was half the price

#2132 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 06:43 AM

McKenzie/Borden Tim Hortons is already open. they don't waste time. It looks smaller than the one that was across the street a few years ago.

#2133 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:41 AM

Huh That is interesting I just checked the menus online and there inst anything half price at RFBF compared to any other fish and chip shop in this city in fact the prices are all about the same. Just wondering what you found that was half the price

Didn't intend to suggest RFBF was cheaper as much as that Barb's is pricey. And yeah, "half" is a pretty serious exaggeration!

#2134 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 11:12 AM

6 Mile Pub is the oldest by a long shot nothing even comes close Not only oldest in Victoria but oldest in BC

I thought Four Mile was older.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#2135 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 11:26 AM

6 mile is continuous operation

#2136 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 01:19 PM

We must be nearing a good 10 or so Central American/Mexican eateries in downtown Victoria, now.

Vancouver-based La Taqueria is opening a location in the space formerly occupied by Real Taste of India (next to Brothers barber and Pho Vy) on Fort between Douglas and Blanshard.

taqueria.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2137 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:28 PM

^ I do believe I already posted about this.

EDIT- I actually broke about the space across the street becoming Mexican also. We are getting a "little Mexico"

Edited by sdwright.vic, 13 October 2015 - 04:30 PM.

#2138 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:27 PM

Another Mexican. Man...

When are we going to get a high end Chinese seafood restaurant.

• Rob Randall likes this

#2139 cfbnp200e

cfbnp200e
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 09:58 AM

Burnside-Gorge - you mentioned the Esq Mexican moving dwtn - is that still happening? Or is it just YVR's La Taqueria on the N side of the street?

#2140 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:11 PM

I had been told that ESQ Mex restaurant will be moving into the old Kings Deli.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users