Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8809 replies to this topic

#2181 johnsonst

johnsonst
  • 41 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:58 AM

Maybe not a typical coming and going post - not sure where else this belongs. But. Last night, my friends and I walked by John's place and the interior lights were on. We stopped to chat about the place/decor/memories and as we did so we saw a handful of mice running back and forth beneath the tables, into the kitchen, etc. If that's what we saw in only a minute or two, I can only imagine how bad the infestation is. 

#2182 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:03 AM

Maybe not a typical coming and going post - not sure where else this belongs. But. Last night, my friends and I walked by John's place and the interior lights were on. We stopped to chat about the place/decor/memories and as we did so we saw a handful of mice running back and forth beneath the tables, into the kitchen, etc. If that's what we saw in only a minute or two, I can only imagine how bad the infestation is. 

I can pretty much tell you the entire city core is infested.   That's just the way it is really.  Some places do a great job of controlling them, some not as well.  When you have a mix of uses, you'll never get everyone on the same page.  Good restaurants like John's will never allow the critters to contact food, there is really nothing to worry about.  And our restaurant inspections are very good and thorough.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2183 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:09 AM

How do we know "never?" Mice run all over the place, not just the floor. If they've got mice running around then they need mice traps.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2184 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:19 AM

How do we know "never?" Mice run all over the place, not just the floor. If they've got mice running around then they need mice traps.

Well, mice don't go in the freezer, etc.  And a good restaurant has all their food in pest-proof containers, and packaging, and all food preparation surfaces are cleaned before each use.  I can assure you, EVERY restaurant in downtown has mice traps.  Trust me, there is little to no danger.

• Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2185 johnsonst

johnsonst
  • 41 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:50 AM

Absolutely, mice/rats/other pests are a reality in downtown Vic and other cities. I don't doubt that most restaurants have traps and other measures to circumvent the critters getting their little paws on the food. But walking by a place and seeing them (we estimated 5 or so) having a little party is a little concerning. I'm less concerned about them getting into the food and more concerned about the droppings and associated health hazards.

#2186 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:03 AM

Absolutely, mice/rats/other pests are a reality in downtown Vic and other cities. I don't doubt that most restaurants have traps and other measures to circumvent the critters getting their little paws on the food. But walking by a place and seeing them (we estimated 5 or so) having a little party is a little concerning. I'm less concerned about them getting into the food and more concerned about the droppings and associated health hazards.

Yes, the droppings are the only issue.  Again, any decent food place makes sure there is virtually no way for droppings to get near food or preparation areas.  And the health inspector makes sure of that too.  It might look odd when you see a few together, but it's not uncommon.  Those things breed like mice.

#2187 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:15 AM

An improperly cleaned business will attract mice as will improper storage. And John's appears to have a problem with that hence its hazard rating of moderate following a May 21st inspection:

Violations:

Code   Description 

108   Critical - Improper Cleaning, Sanitizing of Equipment and Utensils
Thorough cleaning and sanitizing of the basement storage room is required including the top of the ice machine. Thorough cleaning and sanitizing of the shelves and racks in both the upstairs and downstairs walk-in fridges. These shelves should be cleaned weekly thereafter (add to weekly cleaning schedule).

A follow-up inspection in June deemed the restaurant a low hazard rating as staff adhered to the recommendations, but given the fact there are rodents running around now perhaps the inspector should return.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2188 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:35 AM

Ya, if these old buildings operated in isolation, there would be less of an issue.  But downtown is full of mixed-use buildings, buildings 2 inches from one another, and just old stuff.  Mice are very crafty, they get in.

Mike, talk to anyone that has worked in a kitchen.  Pest control is an ongoing control issue, it's never near eradication level.

• Nparker likes this

#2189 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:57 AM

I'm familiar with it, I grew up with food services in the family. Mice rummaging about, especially groups of them, is not normal.
  • weirdie likes this

Know it all.

#2190 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 12:40 PM

Mice rummaging about, especially groups of them, is not normal.

They can squeeze through a hole the size of their head.

You will need a phalanx of traps to begin to make a dent in the colony and remember, it's the first mouse that gets the cheese.

Peanut butter is better.

#2191 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:56 PM

Yes there is a lot of mice downtown, I felt like a part-time exterminator in the last place I worked downtown, they would circle your feet sometimes when you would try and eat in the lunch room(yes horrible). 

But hey at least John's Place doesn't have Deer... although I have not looked at their menu in a little while. 

#2192 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 745 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 12:17 PM

Park's Kitchen opening up at 606 Trounce Alley, should be the former So-Ya Japanese restaurant. Grand Opening is November 9 according to ad in the Saanich News.  Korean and Japanese food.

#2193 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:00 PM

The Market for Korean an Japanese in this city is saturated don't think it can sustain many more what will the next food fad be?

Edited by HB, 05 November 2015 - 06:01 PM.

• HB likes this

#2194 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:06 PM

The Market for Korean an Japanese in this city is saturated don't think it can sustain many more what will the next food fad be?

Cupcakes!

Or maybe muffins.  

#2195 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:08 PM

Cupcakes!

Or maybe muffins.  

Mice on a stick.

• Nparker likes this

#2196 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:54 PM

I'm really enjoying this so-called "iced" cream.

#2197 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:46 PM

Mice on a stick.

Nothing like a micecicle after a long days work downtown

• johnk likes this

#2198 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:54 PM

They can squeeze through a hole the size of their head.

You will need a phalanx of traps to begin to make a dent in the colony and remember, it's the first mouse that gets the cheese.

Peanut butter is better.

As of tonight I'm running an experiment after discovering a bit of a problem in my garage, one trap cheese and one peanut butter.

they ate my chocolate gold coin collection 

#2199 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:56 PM

As of tonight I'm running an experiment after discovering a bit of a problem in my garage, one trap cheese and one peanut butter.

they ate my chocolate gold coin collection

My $$ is on the peanut butter. Nutella works well too.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2200 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:22 AM

The Orkin guy at my place of business uses peanut butter sprinkled with a bit of bird seed or some other grains. Also, it's always good to try whatever you have noticed them eating. Order yourself a "pirate pack" and sacrifice another chocolate doubloon.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users