Photo

Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8823 replies to this topic

#4881 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:56 AM

A Westshore business called Dad's Soup and Sangy's (on Jacklin) is for sale.

where did you see that advertised Mike?

Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#4882 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 09:02 AM

I have not seen an advertisement, just word of mouth.

• 29er Radio likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4883 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 05 November 2019 - 09:49 AM

Chard's presentation centre in the Sovereign (#100-608 Broughton) will become a bubble tea café. Building permit was issued yesterday, no idea if it's one of the brand names or an independent. AFAIK the sales centre will still be there (#102-608 Broughton).

#4884 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 07:35 PM

10477750_0_lg.jpg

$610k

https://www.realtor....ctoria-oaklands

#4885 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 06 November 2019 - 09:54 AM

Perverted Ice Cream is now open.

And now available on Uber Eats!

#4886 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 09:59 AM

There's some sort of a general grocer coming to the corner of the Belmont Building, between the ice cream place and Tractor. I don't think I've heard of it before, or might have missed it if it was mentioned earlier.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4887 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 10:05 AM

There's some sort of a general grocer coming to the corner of the Belmont Building, between the ice cream place and Tractor. I don't think I've heard of it before, or might have missed it if it was mentioned earlier.

hopefully it'll be a mac's.

ls.jpg

#4888 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 04:59 PM

i know i can't have my ice cream truck taking walk-up orders at saxe point or willows beach or esquimalt lagoon but can i order up delivery from the nearest ice cream shop via skip the dishes and have my popsicles delivered to my car at those locations?

i can see sebberry in his car having a 2am ice cream sandwich at esquimalt lagoon.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 November 2019 - 05:00 PM.

#4889 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 05:04 PM

Hippie Chick Cafe on Fort Street's Antique Row has closed.

#4890 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 05:06 PM

Hippie Chick Cafe on Fort Street's Antique Row has closed.

it always seemed a bit odd to me.

#4891 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 06 November 2019 - 08:03 PM

hopefully it'll be a mac's.

I thought strange things were afoot at that chain...

#4892 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 09:17 AM

Last I heard it will be a Xing Fu Tang (https://www.xingfutang.ca/), a taiwanese chain famous for their signature brown sugar bubble tea.  They cook the boba in brown sugar in front of you. I've been to the one in T&T in Richmond - it was pretty good and surprisingly not very sweet. 

Chard's presentation centre in the Sovereign (#100-608 Broughton) will become a bubble tea café. Building permit was issued yesterday, no idea if it's one of the brand names or an independent. AFAIK the sales centre will still be there (#102-608 Broughton).

• Mike K. and Jackerbie like this

#4893 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 09:57 AM

I think we've reached a point now where Skip the Dishes and similar delivery services are starting to have a negative impact on customers who actually visit an establishment.

I was at an eatery the other day, walked in at about 8PM ahead of their 9PM closing time. Inside were a few patrons: a couple of people eating at the tables, about three or four (myself included) with intentions to grab and go (two people had already placed their orders ahead of me).

I walked up and placed my order, paid, and only then was I informed the wait would be "around 25 minutes." What the eff? I said it's usually 10-15 minutes, at worst. "Oh, well there are seven or eight Skip the Dishes orders ahead of you and a few take-out orders."

I wasn't happy, but I think had I not come home with the order Mrs. Mike K. would have had me sleeping in the shed.

Anyways, this is not the first time I've encountered this, and it's starting to get really long in the tooth. Meanwhile the STD guys were coming and going non-stop while us blokes inside were just sitting around and waiting, and waiting, and waiting.

/end rant

• Love the rock and FogPub like this

Know it all.

#4894 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 10:02 AM

ok boomer.

look those skip the dishes orders were all ahead of you even if you could not see the customers.  they were customers waiting just like you.  but unlike you they are hip enough to order by cellphone and keep playing video games until the order arrived.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 November 2019 - 10:02 AM.

#4895 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 10:08 AM

Wrong.

Skip is time-sensitive. If an order comes in it can't go to the back of the line because that's not how Skip works. I've talked to many a bartender about this very thing (who are often the point of contact/handover for a Skip order). Meanwhile the bloke at the bar just keeps waiting as he's lower priority/captive.

Know it all.

#4896 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 10:17 AM

around 25 minutes." What the eff? I said it's usually 10-15 minutes, at worst. "Oh, well there are seven or eight Skip the Dishes orders ahead of you and a few take-out orders."

that was the knowns as soon as you placed your order.  so essentially in ahead of you.

now your argument would be stronger if at that time you were told 25 minutes and then it actually took 60 as more skip orders came in.

with skip the dishes there are some known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know about the orders. but there are also unknown unknowns about those skip the dishes orders—the ones we don't know we don't know.  and if one looks throughout the history of that restaurant's business and other restaurants it is the latter category that tend to be the difficult orders to know.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 November 2019 - 10:18 AM.

#4897 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 10:18 AM

I think we've reached a point now where Skip the Dishes and similar delivery services are starting to have a negative impact on customers who actually visit an establishment.

I was at an eatery the other day, walked in at about 8PM ahead of their 9PM closing time. Inside were a few patrons: a couple of people eating at the tables, about three or four (myself included) with intentions to grab and go (two people had already placed their orders ahead of me).

I walked up and placed my order, paid, and only then was I informed the wait would be "around 25 minutes." What the eff? I said it's usually 10-15 minutes, at worst. "Oh, well there are seven or eight Skip the Dishes orders ahead of you and a few take-out orders."

I wasn't happy, but I think had I not come home with the order Mrs. Mike K. would have had me sleeping in the shed.

Anyways, this is not the first time I've encountered this, and it's starting to get really long in the tooth. Meanwhile the STD guys were coming and going non-stop while us blokes inside were just sitting around and waiting, and waiting, and waiting.

/end rant

I hear you Mike.

I totally get that restaurants rely on takeaway orders for a part of their business but they should consider how they can adjust/modify their business processes and physical layout to accommodate both dine-in customers and carry-out orders.

I once waited an hour for food when dining in at Thai Lemongrass in Cadboro Bay Village and I'll never go back unless the restaurant changes hands.  I love the food at Royal Spice by Mayfair but I've gotten bad service there when the staff is overly occupied by the stream of Skip the Dishes drivers coming in and out of the space.

Perhaps new restaurants could consider a separate entrance for pickup/delivery and perhaps adjust the kichen layouts to accommodate spikes in demand?

#4898 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 10:20 AM

Perhaps new restaurants could consider a separate entrance for pickup/delivery and perhaps adjust the kichen layouts to accommodate spikes in demand?

that will most certainly come.

#4899 m3m

m3m
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 11:14 AM

I don't think its a grocer.  It has window coverings up with logos of various different brands, which presumably they'll stock.  Mostly clothing/accessories brands like Levis and Herschel supply co. 

I imagine it's something similar in concept to Drake General Store out of toronto for those that are familiar. 

#4900 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 07 November 2019 - 11:36 AM

I don't think its a grocer.  It has window coverings up with logos of various different brands, which presumably they'll stock.  Mostly clothing/accessories brands like Levis and Herschel supply co. 

I imagine it's something similar in concept to Drake General Store out of toronto for those that are familiar. 

Curious. No unit address given, but there's a BP in progress (ie. received by City but not issued) for "Merchant Quarters General Store," for a change of use from restaurant to retail with specialty food items.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1), m3m, Love the rock