Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8823 replies to this topic

#5201 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 11:16 PM

I bet there are a lot of beloved local institution places that are not so well off financially. Be interesting to see how they do during this situation.

In my experience, a lot of those places live on their reputations and provide a lousy experience/product. So milking the landlord is not much different than providing mediocre product to folks because you have been in business for decades and people will still come anyway.

It just so happens, that April 1 is the last of the post dated cheques our landlord has from us. We would have no problem paying rent for a couple of more months with little or no income. But if this lock down continues as I totally expect it will, I plan on having a chat with our landlord before the next rent cheque is due. Cause I know that even in good times they have a challenge finding tenants. And we have been in our space 15 years and never late with the rent. Should be worth something in a pandemic?

if i was your landlord (which i am not) - i would let you pay 1/2 rent for four months with the agreement that you would pay 1 1/4 rent for the next eight months...even steven - would that work?

#5202 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 02:59 AM

korean restuarant.

https://www.yelp.ca/...rant-victoria-2

$110k

Long established restaurant in this location. In the heart of the downtown core near all the offices, banks, theaters and all the new residential towers on the booming downtown area. 1,168 Sq., affordable rent of $2,146.20/month. It's located right by the Johnson St. Public Parking and it's City owned property. Commercial kitchen, Liquor license in place, and 2 bathrooms. Call for more info. (22097444)

https://www.realtor....ctoria-downtown

#5203 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 03:00 AM

1505 Admirals

$149k

LITTLE TOKYO (Fast Food Restaurant) is a well established restaurant for over 20 years in the same place. The sales have been increasing every year. Restaurant is positioned in high visibility location in the mall and is bright and well laid out.

https://www.realtor....oria-gorge-vale

#5204 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 07:01 AM

I guess this will also be an amazing opportunity to buy businesses.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5205 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 07:03 AM

I guess this will also be an amazing opportunity to buy businesses.

I think so. you might find some very well-equipped restaurant spaces that just require a quick re-brand, some staff, and away you go, very turn-key.
  • Bernard likes this

#5206 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 09:23 AM

I also generally love a low Canadian dollar, mostly when Americans come and buy my food but that’s a ways off. :)

Matt.

Speaking of. The hubby and I managed to visit Salt Spring just before SHTF. You didn't have any condiments on the tables, but the food was delicious (mmm... the berry sauce). It was a great place to chill and wait on our ferry home.

But what is up with the aggressively vegan neighbour? Wandered in following the path of books, turned and ran at the tone of the place.

• Matt R., DougG and Victoria Watcher like this

~ Jasmine ~

#5207 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 09:47 AM

1505 Admirals

$149k

LITTLE TOKYO (Fast Food Restaurant) is a well established restaurant for over 20 years in the same place. The sales have been increasing every year. Restaurant is positioned in high visibility location in the mall and is bright and well laid out.

https://www.realtor....oria-gorge-vale

That's too bad its one of our 'go-to' take out places; even before the pandemic I have noticed in recent years that a lot of these smaller and typically family-owned and run food outlets appear/ed to rely as much or more on take out orders than on diners actually coming in and physically having a sit down meal. Tokyo Express is definitely one of those, as is Thai Green Elephant, a great little place further down Craigflower near the Esquimalt-Victoria border. On occasion TGE, which seats about 30-35 people is very busy, but more often than not he majority of the tables are empty but there is frequently a consistent lineup for patrons "picking up"....

#5208 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 09:58 AM

I think the Dutch Bakery is just selling chocolates, not sure how you actually get them. I will consider doing this as we usually buy something from them every week and hopefully it will help keep them going. I just don't want to go pick them up as with recent surgery I can't be getting sick right now.

#5209 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 01:47 PM

The province of British Columbia is now allowing restaurants to deliver alcohol due to growing COVID-19 concerns.

In an effort to reinforce social distancing orders and help support workers in the restaurant industry, the government of British Columbia is making changes to temporarily allow restaurants to deliver liquor products alongside the purchase of a meal.

“In these extraordinary times, more British Columbians are relying on delivery services during the COVID-19 pandemic,” said David Eby, attorney general.

“Permitting licensed restaurants to hire their out of work servers to deliver liquor products as part of their food-delivery service allows the public to continue to observe social distancing measures and also offers much-needed support to these workers and businesses.”

https://www.vicnews....tancing-orders/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 March 2020 - 01:48 PM.

• Matt R. and gstc84 like this

#5210 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 04:02 PM

Speaking of. The hubby and I managed to visit Salt Spring just before SHTF. You didn't have any condiments on the tables, but the food was delicious (mmm... the berry sauce). It was a great place to chill and wait on our ferry home.

But what is up with the aggressively vegan neighbour? Wandered in following the path of books, turned and ran at the tone of the place.

Thank you!

We took condiments off early on in the covid game to help reduce risk. Switched to single use only.

Have you not looked up the neighbour on trip advisor? We don’t know what’s up with them either, I think it’s some sort of very elaborate performance art.

Matt.
  • Rob Randall, jasmineshinga and Victoria Watcher like this

#5211 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 04:16 PM

Have you not looked up the neighbour on trip advisor? We don’t know what’s up with them either, I think it’s some sort of very elaborate performance art.

Matt.

it's entertaining

https://www.tripadvi...Island_Bri.html

#5212 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 06:57 PM

Hahahahahhaha wtf? Those are the best.

it's entertaining

https://www.tripadvi...Island_Bri.html

• Matt R. likes this

#5213 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 07:42 PM

Beijing has spent much of the outbreak pushing districts to carry on business as usual, with some local governments subsidizing electricity costs and even installing mandatory productivity quotas. Zhejiang, a province east of the epicenter city of Wuhan, claimed as of Feb. 24 it had restored 98.6 percent of its pre-coronavirus work capacity.

But civil servants tell Caixan that businesses are actually faking these numbers. Beijing had started checking Zhejiang businesses' electricity consumption levels, so district officials ordered the companies to start leaving their lights and machinery on all day to drive the numbers up, one civil servant said. Businesses have reportedly falsified staff attendance logs as well — they "would rather waste a small amount of money on power than irritate local officials," Caixan writes.

In Wuhan, officials have tried to make it appear that recovery efforts are going smoothly. But when "central leaders" personally survey disinfecting regimens and food delivery, local officials "make a special effort" for them and them alone, one resident told Caixan. And in a video circulating on social media, residents can be seen shouting at visiting leaders from the apartments where they're being quarantined — "Fake, it's all fake." Read more at Caixan.

- https://www.caixingl...-101524058.html
  • Bernard likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5214 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 22 March 2020 - 08:11 PM

What, people faking numbers under government pressure?  Holy Mao...

• Bernard likes this

#5215 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 08:30 PM

Beijing ... installing mandatory productivity quotas

Sounds like a solid plan! What could possibly go wrong?

#5216 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 22 March 2020 - 08:43 PM

Sounds like a solid plan! What could possibly go wrong?

What are our productivity quotas on VV?    

#5217 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 07:21 AM

Don’t worry, the local officials are happy. And we keep the lights on all night.

Know it all.

#5218 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 23 March 2020 - 08:20 AM

Don’t worry, the local officials are happy. And we keep the lights on all night.

I glad to hear that, but I heard that if the managers of the VV empire get unhappy they offer people personalized tours of the outside of very tall buildings and how parachuteless base jumping works.....

#5219 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 04:42 PM

No no, not any more.

Know it all.

#5220 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 02:26 AM

Yes here it is at 3:26 am and we are on a constant lookout for trolls, idiots, and most importantly members of our Vibrant Victoria family that may require our help and assistance.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

m3m, Love the rock