Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8817 replies to this topic

#5181 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 09:53 PM

Try to find that $4 meal...

True but if the choice is a $4 frozen meal or $30 for an entry plus delivery from a local diner then the choice is pretty clear if you are broke.

#5182 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,049 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 02:20 AM

I suppose a few restaurants feel this is an opportunity for them to clean house of staff and start frresh in September of whenever this is over.
  • Matt R. likes this

#5183 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 02:40 AM

Pretty shitty thoughts when thousands of people are out of work with not support. Not to mention all the restaurants that won’t open again because they can’t survive being shut for months. One of the most tasteless comments I’ve seen yet.

I suppose a few restaurants feel this is an opportunity for them to clean house of staff and start frresh in September of whenever this is over.

#5184 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,049 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 02:57 AM

Pretty shitty thoughts when thousands of people are out of work with not support. Not to mention all the restaurants that won’t open again because they can’t survive being shut for months. One of the most tasteless comments I’ve seen yet.

almost all restaurateurs pay their front of house staff minimum wage.  that should tell you enough about where their hearts lie in regards to their staff.

yes lots of people are out of work.  i feel badly for them.  my comment wasn't meant to show disdain for them.  it was meant to show the reality of that industry.

i will say of course that now as those employees go to file for ei they will see how not claiming tips as income is now working very harshly against them.  55% of minimum wage is not much.

#5185 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,049 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 02:59 AM

The average job tenure of a restaurant employee is 1 month and 26 days. The average shift length of a restaurant worker is 6.4 hours. The most common day of the week for restaurant workers to be no-shows was Saturday.

https://www.7shifts....-stats-of-2017/

so employees like to move around too, especially back of house.

#5186 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 03:40 AM

Spout all the stats you want, it all means nothing now. It’s clear you have a vision of a whole industry of slackers and tax evaders. You could give 2 shits about the people and their families (yes there are people in the industry who raise families). Stop being so ignorant of your callousness
  • jasmineshinga and Brantastic like this

#5187 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,049 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 04:00 AM

I think you are reading too much into my posts.

i’m sorry that some facts disturb you. but i’m also sympathetic towards these workers’ plights.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 March 2020 - 04:01 AM.

#5188 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 01:00 PM

It’s early times of course but if a business can make it through this and not look for opportunity then they aren’t looking very hard.

Matt.

#5189 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 03:29 PM

Bonnie Henry effectively shuts down all restaurants in BC.

https://www.timescol...-348-1.24102859

#5190 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 03:40 PM

Were there any restaurants in Victoria doing more than take-out/delivery at this point anyway?

#5191 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,049 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 03:43 PM

Were there any restaurants in Victoria doing more than take-out/delivery at this point anyway?

i guess il terrazo was trying.

check news video:  https://www.facebook...211201243448936

a bit hard to watch.  $125,000/mo. payroll gone.  70 staff members laid off.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 March 2020 - 03:54 PM.

#5192 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 03:54 PM

The restaurants that survive this should see greater business after, as there may be less competition from restaurants that close. Also greater chance to hire good staff.
  • Matt R. likes this

#5193 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,049 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 03:56 PM

The restaurants that survive this should see greater business after, as there may be less competition from restaurants that close. Also greater chance to hire good staff.

this is certainly true.

#5194 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 07:06 PM

That’s if they can restore consumer confidence that restaurants are safe....

this is certainly true.

#5195 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 07:06 PM

That’s only if they can restore consumer confidence that restaurants are safe....

#5196 Vicwestguy

Vicwestguy
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 07:27 PM

That’s only if they can restore consumer confidence that restaurants are safe....

I am wagering that after spending the next couple weeks stuck at home without the ability to hit your local watering hole for a pint, the public will be chomping at the bit to get out to a restaurant/pub!

I am more interested to see what happens when life returns to " normal" . Hopefully there are some compassionate landlords who will defer or provide relief for leases, etc. Guessing most establishments cant afford to pay a lease with zero money coming in. With the thin profit margins in the restaurant world, any disruption of whatever length could be devastating.

• Matt R. likes this

#5197 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 08:43 PM

It’s early times of course but if a business can make it through this and not look for opportunity then they aren’t looking very hard.

Matt.

I'm not in the restaurant biz but was realizing today how the greatly lower CDN dollar might be a very good thing for those of us who sell stuff (things). 

I have stuff I need to clear out. My stuff will be pretty cheap for a US customer. Yes most folks no longer have the funds to buy my stuff but like ASE's friend, there are always some folks who still have the means to buy.

For me business wise, this situation couldn't have come at a better time. But that is just luck. I am nearing the end.

I totally understand the pain the business folk who are just starting out, still carrying debt, must feel.

#5198 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 09:08 PM

I also generally love a low Canadian dollar, mostly when Americans come and buy my food but that’s a ways off. :)

Matt.

#5199 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 09:15 PM

An organization I worked with that was landlord to a fairly upscale local restaurant cut them a lot of slack when it came to paying rent on time, probably too much slack. I guess we figured tardy rent from time to time was a better scenario than them going bankrupt, the space being vacant with zero income for who knows how long, and then scrambling to find a reliable tenant with no guarantee they'd be a success either. The devil you know, right?

Besides, some of these restaurants are beloved institutions. Would you want to be the landlord that destroys Pagliacci's or The Blue Fox? OK, maybe those places have deep pockets but you know what I mean.

#5200 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 10:00 PM

An organization I worked with that was landlord to a fairly upscale local restaurant cut them a lot of slack when it came to paying rent on time, probably too much slack. I guess we figured tardy rent from time to time was a better scenario than them going bankrupt, the space being vacant with zero income for who knows how long, and then scrambling to find a reliable tenant with no guarantee they'd be a success either. The devil you know, right?

Besides, some of these restaurants are beloved institutions. Would you want to be the landlord that destroys Pagliacci's or The Blue Fox? OK, maybe those places have deep pockets but you know what I mean.

I bet there are a lot of beloved local institution places that are not so well off financially. Be interesting to see how they do during this situation.

In my experience, a lot of those places live on their reputations and provide a lousy experience/product. So milking the landlord is not much different than providing mediocre product to folks because you have been in business for decades and people will still come anyway.

It just so happens, that April 1 is the last of the post dated cheques our landlord has from us. We would have no problem paying rent for a couple of more months with little or no income. But if this lock down continues as I totally expect it will, I plan on having a chat with our landlord before the next rent cheque is due. Cause I know that even in good times they have a challenge finding tenants. And we have been in our space 15 years and never late with the rent. Should be worth something in a pandemic?

• Mike K. and Matt R. like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users