Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8817 replies to this topic

#6101 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 03 May 2021 - 05:18 PM

That photography themed cafe on Fort/Blanshard has a mezzanine... Does it fit the bill?
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#6102 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 05:24 PM

Actually I think the cafe for sale could be Wild Coffee and Bistro, which has an upstairs seating area for guests…
  • Nparker likes this

#6103 m3m

m3m
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 09:24 PM

It’s Bokeh cafe on blanshard

#6104 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 10:15 AM

$2,895,000

There are now a Burger place and a Sushi To Go place. 

Milne's Landing Store!!  A Piece Of Sooke History. At entrance to Sooke Potholes Provincial Park, next to school, park & ride. It is an extremely high traffic area. This building is rebuilt in 1999. There are 3 units. The general grocery store business has been located on the site over one hundred years. There are now a Burger place and a Sushi To Go place. Generating excellent rental income. Don't miss this opportunity to own a historical property. Call for more info. Please do not approach tenants. 

https://www.realtor....oke-sooke-river

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 May 2021 - 10:15 AM.

#6105 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 11:38 AM

Chatime is opening at the old Rogers location on Douglas. Vancouver Bubble tea franchise. I've been to the Robson location and loved the variety that they offered. Very happy that they're so close to my office!

Chatime appears to have closed. Windows have been papered over and the exterior is halfway repainted white instead of purple-pink.
  • Nparker likes this

#6106 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 12:32 PM

Chatime appears to have closed. Windows have been papered over and the exterior is halfway repainted white instead of purple-pink.

That's a shame. Likely due to way less foot traffic of the bubble tea-drinking variety on Douglas these days. 

We have one decent bubble tea place in Langford (Shake It Up) and I try to give it business as often as possible.

#6107 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 12:39 PM

Gorge Point pub closing for good. Couldn’t come to an arrangement with the new building owner (Abstract) re:development.

https://www.victoria...d-of-this-year/

Matt.

#6108 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 01:01 PM

Gorge Point pub closing for good. Couldn’t come to an arrangement with the new building owner (Abstract) re:development.

https://www.victoria...d-of-this-year/

Matt.

Oh, that's a shame. That was my local for many years. Always thought their food was better than your average pub food.

#6109 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 01:18 PM

Oh, that's a shame. That was my local for many years. Always thought their food was better than your average pub food.

I used to go there for chicken wings. As I recall they were very good.

#6110 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 01:20 PM

who owned the building previously?  did the condo developer there hold on to it?

#6111 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 01:23 PM

It looks like something new is going in the former Vietnamese restaurant on Fisgard, next to the Chinese school.  The interior looked a little different from what I could see through the window. 

Further down the street, leased signs are up in the Jusu location next to La Roux.  

#6112 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 01:39 PM

who owned the building previously? did the condo developer there hold on to it?

The Buzz says the pub owner owned the building.

Matt.

#6113 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 01:45 PM

The Buzz says the pub owner owned the building.

Matt.

i see.  there is confusing wording in the article.  they talk about extending "the lease" but it also says they own the building.  in which case there would be no lease to extend.  except a new one for some type of lease-back.

In a media release, Abstract stated the longstanding institution will close at the end of the year, despite efforts to extend the lease with them.

According to the Gorge Pointe Pub owner Mike Louis, he was under the assumption that they were still under negotiations to extend the lease.

“As far as we knew, we were still trying to work on something,” Louis told Victoria Buzz.

“We’ve been trying to work to sell the business for a while now, and Abstract came to us last year at the start of the pandemic. We’ve owned the property for 15 years, and if we had a quality deal, we would have gone through with it.”

it also seems odd they have sold but were still under the impression they were still negotiating something.

i guess maybe they sold the property last year and have been leasing back for the last little while.  article lacks clarity.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 May 2021 - 01:48 PM.

#6114 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 01:54 PM

i guess maybe they sold the property last year and have been leasing back for the last little while.  article lacks clarity.

I wonder if "property" here means the business?

• Matt R. likes this

#6115 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 07:26 PM

It’s quite common for a building to be held in a different company name than the tenant. You still charge yourself rent, and the business pays it to the land holding company. Same happened with the Bard and Banker. Matt owned the building and the bard still paid rent to the holding company. In fact, with commercial property values based on lease rates, one could jack up the lease on yourself to increase the value of the property, only to sell it then beg for a better lease from the new landlord. If that doesn’t work, you just shut down and cash out with the earnings from the property sale.

i see. there is confusing wording in the article. they talk about extending "the lease" but it also says they own the building. in which case there would be no lease to extend. except a new one for some type of lease-back.

it also seems odd they have sold but were still under the impression they were still negotiating something.

i guess maybe they sold the property last year and have been leasing back for the last little while. article lacks clarity.

Edited by Klapecki, 10 May 2021 - 07:29 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#6116 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 396 posts
  • LocationGreater Victoria

Posted 10 May 2021 - 08:30 PM

It appears Taste of Europe Bistro in Langford on Peatt Rd (formerly the location of Evedar's Bistro) has closed up shop.

There is a note on their door window. It said they couldn't continue due to the pandemic and the construction opposite on their block. The note also said to ask the Langford mayor about it.

Edited by FawltyVic, 10 May 2021 - 08:32 PM.

#6117 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 08:40 AM

That was also one of my favorites in town. Disappointed to hear this.

#6118 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 08:42 AM

It appears Taste of Europe Bistro in Langford on Peatt Rd (formerly the location of Evedar's Bistro) has closed up shop.

There is a note on their door window. It said they couldn't continue due to the pandemic and the construction opposite on their block. The note also said to ask the Langford mayor about it.

That sure sounds like the guy who owns it. I agree that the construction has probably hindered business somewhat but that's hardly a unique situation in Langford these days, roads are torn up everywhere in town.

• Brantastic likes this

#6119 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 02:15 PM

Is this the same fellow who ran the pierogi place at St. Andrew's Square in Victoria?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6120 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 11 May 2021 - 02:38 PM

Read entire article here: https://www.timescol...sans-1.24317716

A scruffy part of Langford along the railway tracks will get a major makeover as a “cultural precinct” designed to attract food providers, artisans and entertainers, dog walkers and cyclists and entrepreneurs starting to build their businesses.

The $1-million project to revitalize Station Avenue between Peatt Road and Veterans Memorial Parkway will be funded through the Union of British Columbia Municipalities Gas Tax Fund and feature a plaza for sellers’ huts made of wood and repurposed shipping containers, spaces for food trucks, improved parking, a dog park and new landscaping.  

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users