8820 replies to this topic

#6221 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 02:51 PM

LocalMom's back!  :wave:

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6222 bugeyed

bugeyed
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 June 2021 - 03:44 PM

LocalMom's back!  :wave:

What's LocalMom's?

#6223 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 25 June 2021 - 05:45 PM

What's LocalMom's?

See post #6220

• Mike K. likes this

#6224 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 25 June 2021 - 06:57 PM

The upcoming Bubby's in Quadra Village just gained another smaller fenced patio space (pictured at left). May as well, lots of sidewalk available here.

Attached Images

• PXL_20210624_005153660 (2).jpg

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#6225 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 11:35 AM

Good Afternoon Vibrant Victorians

Our latest Food and Beverage themed podcast The Table Nine Podcast with myself and John Reese is available for your listening pleasure and this show we continue our chat with Phillips Brewing GM Jim Lister and explore taking advantage of well established brands in order to expand your customer base and more data crunching. Hell Yeah. We hope you enjoy the show. https://www.buzzspro...isodes/8791355 

Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#6226 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 11:42 AM

The building that used to house Floyd's downtown @ Quadra/Yates has been completely repainted in preparation for its next tenant (identify unknown- at least by me).   It's gone from hot pink to a blueish grey colour...

#6227 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 11:44 AM

^It was an extensive restoration lasting several months; sounds like they have a specific long-term tenant. We shall see.

#6228 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 08 July 2021 - 03:41 PM

On Thursday, councillors passed a motion to facilitate permanent lane closures in the 1300-block of Gladstone Avenue in Fernwood Village where restaurants have expanded onto the road, making the street one-way.

Council also asked city staff to report back on how it can work with businesses to find a permanent approach to the more than 100 new patios when the pandemic is over.
The pandemic emergency bylaw allowing the patios expires in October. Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps said Thursday she expects staff will recommend extending the bylaw to June 2022 to match the duration of a temporary pandemic-related provincial liquor policy that allows all patios to have liquor licences.

The best-case scenario is for the province to make the liquor policy permanent, said Helps.

https://www.timescol...nent-1.24340221

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 July 2021 - 03:41 PM.

#6229 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 08 July 2021 - 03:59 PM

On Thursday, councillors passed a motion to facilitate permanent lane closures in the 1300-block of Gladstone Avenue in Fernwood Village where restaurants have expanded onto the road, making the street one-way.

Council also asked city staff to report back on how it can work with businesses to find a permanent approach to the more than 100 new patios when the pandemic is over.
The pandemic emergency bylaw allowing the patios expires in October. Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps said Thursday she expects staff will recommend extending the bylaw to June 2022 to match the duration of a temporary pandemic-related provincial liquor policy that allows all patios to have liquor licences.

The best-case scenario is for the province to make the liquor policy permanent, said Helps.

https://www.timescol...nent-1.24340221

While I am not generally a fan of lane closures that aren't well thought out, I do like that they are keeping patios going.

#6230 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 08 July 2021 - 04:28 PM

Rode up Fort Street past the old Wrap n Roll location, and noticed a sign saying a Papa Johns was moving into the space.

• Mike K. likes this

#6231 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 10 July 2021 - 08:40 AM

While I am not generally a fan of lane closures that aren't well thought out, I do like that they are keeping patios going.

Councilors were mostly supportive. Except for Comrade Ben, who was super concerned about the unintended rise in property values this might create for those businesses, should street patios be made permanent. Funny, this would also lead to a rise in property taxes that businesses pay, which is essentially a redistribution of wealth. Except for those restaurants that you know, went under due to COVID-19. It’s almost as if he has zero real life experience at all…
  • Nparker and Matt R. like this

#6232 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 08:45 AM

Fugger, out of retirement like MJ with the three-pointer, correctly showing that a more vibrant street with more people, less car storage and financial security is a win for everybody. 

• Bob Fugger and Victoria Watcher like this

#6233 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 10:46 AM

^^ That is a good point Bob. (And welcome back) If patios located upon a roadway somehow become “permanent” and the operator somehow has “rights” to that land/space…that might create a similar situation where recently landowners that use a lake surface for a dock now have a general foreshore use record.

The BC government now taxes the landowners for that use. No one complains as the taxes are low and it does provide a morsel of legitimacy for the use.

#6234 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 11:09 AM

The problem is one of equity for other business owners. If you give roadway use to one than should you also not give it to the shop next door or the restaurant up the street. Why one street and not another? It becomes rather tricky at best.

• Nparker and Matt R. like this

#6235 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 11:19 AM

Once things stabilize, yes, we must examine that closely so that competing restaurants (and the taxpayer) are treated fairly. This is a very valuable taxpayer asset that is given (temporarily?) to a private owner.

#6236 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 11:20 AM

exactly. lots of restaurants had no street to expand onto. that does not mean deny those that have streets access, but consider that there should be a charge for the fortunate.

redistribute the wealth!

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 July 2021 - 11:23 AM.

#6237 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 11:21 AM

Councilors were mostly supportive. Except for Comrade Ben, who was super concerned about the unintended rise in property values this might create for those businesses, should street patios be made permanent.

I need to know exactly what Ben's beef is here because we were told enthusiastically that bike lanes would also be a boost for adjoining business owners. 

#6238 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 02:50 PM

Told, but has that benefit been calculated? Lots of business closures up and down Pandora since the first lane opened there in 2017 (I think it was). Even the restaurant that famously opened the first bike-through in the 700-block went kaput.

Also, who is responsible for injuries if a vehicle is struck, and rolls into a street patio, injuring patrons? The tables are sitting on the roadway on what is legally a highway. Mixing such uses could create quite a legal quagmire that puts taxpayers on the hook.

This scenario reminds me of the City’s rush to “legalize” marijuana dispensaries which then collided with federal and provincial regulations, forcing dozens of businesses to operate in what became a City-created non-compliance situation that cost businesses significant sums of money, and many (most) closed.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6239 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 10 July 2021 - 04:22 PM

I don’t think that any restaurants are expecting to have dominion over public property and are expecting a reasonable licensing and regulatory regime. I hate to pick on Comrade Ben (lol that’s a lie), but local small businesses have zero interest in exacerbating the tragedy of the commons, unlike more realistic fears of him wanting to nationalize everything.

Look, there’s no reinvention of the wheel, here. Prior to covid, there was already a sidewalk cafe bylaw - the path of least resistance is to use this as a starting point for making the concept more ubiquitous. Both the businesses and the public seem to want this, as does the City.

With respect to the local men’s boutique (for example) wanting to set up shop on the sidewalk or what happens to when a car plows into a sidewalk cafe, I asked my ol’ pal Rex Herring, who seemed unconcerned. Personally, I wouldn’t object to the resurrection of the sidewalk sale (although let’s be honest, that’s not gonna happen downtowns, for obvious reasons). And the liability question is the same as if someone gets mowed down on a sidewalk or on a patio on private property.

But these are great questions to ask and it’s why council has asked staff to go into policy development mode for this. That’s where these kinds of issues are addressed.

Edited by Bob Fugger, 10 July 2021 - 04:24 PM.

#6240 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 05:08 PM

Very good, thanks Bob.
  • Bob Fugger likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users