Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8786 replies to this topic

#6241 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,280 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 05:16 PM

nobody is plowing into sidewalk cafes any more than they plow into parked cars.

#6242 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 July 2021 - 05:44 PM

Also, who is responsible for injuries if a vehicle is struck, and rolls into a street patio, injuring patrons? The tables are sitting on the roadway on what is legally a highway. Mixing such uses could create quite a legal quagmire that puts taxpayers on the hook.

It's no different than if a car hits a parked vehicle, or someone on the sidewalk. If I'm interpreting the Transportation Act correctly, the entire road width, including sidewalks, is defined as part of the "highway."

#6243 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 06:29 PM

Yeah, this is going to create some work for lawyers. If you're struck on a patio and the vehicle aside (that's why I used the example of a car being hit, then rolling into the patio), and you were guided there by the restaurant, who is responsible for you sitting six inches from passing vehicles? The City, the restaurant, or the employee, or you?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6244 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 08:21 PM

As long as there are fair permit costs and there is some planning on what will be allowed permanently, the market will take care of the rest. Spaces that have extra spaces will have higher lease rates and property taxes than those that don't Want to open a cheap restaurant, choose one that doesn't the patio space. We don't need to fuss with legislating fairness. 

On the car aspect, I do have some concerns about this. I sat in the patio outside Picnic along upper Fort and because the road speed is so fast there it was quite alarming to sit in the space. It felt as though any bus could easily just cream us. 

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#6245 m3m

m3m
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 12:40 PM

Yeah, this is going to create some work for lawyers. If you're struck on a patio and the vehicle aside (that's why I used the example of a car being hit, then rolling into the patio), and you were guided there by the restaurant, who is responsible for you sitting six inches from passing vehicles? The City, the restaurant, or the employee, or you?

Doesn't matter.  If you're injured in a motor vehicle crash now, you are subject to BC's no fault rules.  Can't sue. 

#6246 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 01:28 PM

Yes you can. It's not that cut and dry, it's far more complicated than that.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6247 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 04:40 PM

Highly Reviewed & Award Winning Authentic Yunnan Cuisine in the heart of Chinatown. Well known of their Crossing-the-bridge noodles. Don't miss out this opportunity!

882429_3.jpg

$360,000

546 Fisgard St

https://www.realtor....ctoria-downtown

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 July 2021 - 04:41 PM.

#6248 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 06:13 AM

The old Swiss Chalet spot has been leased. No news to as who.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#6249 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 06:57 AM

I didn't know they closed--this is the first I'm hearing of this. I'm surprised there aren't mobs of seniors protesting. 

#6250 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 21 July 2021 - 08:01 AM

^ Closed back in... May 2020? It's been a while, was mentioned in another thread I think.

#6251 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 09:15 AM

We had a Swiss Chalet?

#6252 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 09:33 AM

You would think they would be in a good position to weather the pandemic but I guess the struggles of the rest of the empire (Harvey's, Montana's, The Keg) dragged them down.

Edit: Holy crap, I didn't know all these were one company:

"Founded in 1883, RECIPE Unlimited Corporation is Canada's oldest and largest full-service restaurant company. The Company franchises and/or operates some of the most recognized brands in the country including Swiss Chalet, Harvey's, St-Hubert, The Keg, Milestones, Montana's, Kelsey's, East Side Mario's, New York Fries, Prime Pubs, Bier Markt, Landing, Original Joe's, State & Main, Elephant & Castle, The Burger's Priest, The Pickle Barrel, Marigolds & Onions, and 1909 Taverne Moderne."

Edited by Rob Randall, 21 July 2021 - 09:35 AM.

• Mike K. and Matt R. like this

#6253 Fox

Fox
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 09:33 AM

Hopefully another Swiss Chalet.

• Mike K., Dr. Barillas and A Girl is No one like this

#6254 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 09:45 AM

I am not entirely sure I'd want to dine at a restaurant called "Marigolds & Onions". 

#6255 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 21 July 2021 - 07:23 PM

Driftwood's new tasting bar is coming along, they're aiming for a September launch. 60 seats inside, 60 seats on the patio, 32 taps. Details and concept renders on their Facebook: https://www.facebook...37521/?sfnsn=mo
  • JohnsonStBridge likes this

#6256 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 744 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 08:24 PM

maybe a Popeye's chicken?  Tim Hortons and Popeye's chicken owned by the parent company QSR.

#6257 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 11:07 AM

maybe a Popeye's chicken? Tim Hortons and Popeye's chicken owned by the parent company QSR.

That would be a huge Popeyes'
  • Mike K. likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#6258 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 10:30 AM

Superflux is going to open a restaurant downtown in the former Livet space next to Discovery Coffee on Broughton:  https://vancouverisl...toria-1.5524993

• zoomer likes this

#6259 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 10:42 AM

Superflux is going to open a restaurant downtown in the former Livet space next to Discovery Coffee on Broughton:  https://vancouverisl...toria-1.5524993

very interesting.  

vancouver menu:

https://www.superfluxbeer.com/visit-us

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 July 2021 - 10:44 AM.

#6260 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 27 July 2021 - 01:52 PM

Superflux is going to open a restaurant downtown in the former Livet space next to Discovery Coffee on Broughton: https://vancouverisl...toria-1.5524993

FWIW, they've tapped the same interior design firm who did Parsonage Cafe in Fernwood. Looking forward to having that rooftop patio back, it was such a hidden gem!
  • Mike K. and Matt R. like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users