Photo

Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8817 replies to this topic

#6921 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 10:20 PM

Oh it is totally up to the drivers whether they pick up an order. Which is why I tip generously. I want my order to be picked up. I've seen the pics of online orders accumulating at a restaurant because their was no tip.

But I don't understand how the driver could be picking up more than one order. What are the odds of other people near me ordering from the same restaurant?

#6922 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 10:29 PM

I have no idea what the odds are. You think the pizza delivery guy just goes to your place and back to the pizza place and then back out again? I’m sure it happens, and I’m sure they avoid it whenever possible… unless they head to Redd’s place especially for the fat tip.

I’ve never been a delivery driver, but I have seen plenty of drivers pick up multiple orders at a time.

#6923 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,436 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 03:45 AM

Spinnakers owner says he too is owed money by Tutti delivery service
  • Times Colonist
  • 13 Aug 2022

Spinnakers Gastro Brewpub & Guesthouses owner Paul Hadfield has added his name to the list of local food and beverage representatives who say they are owed money by delivery service Tutti.

He sent Tutti an email on Thursday saying, “how profoundly disappointed I was.”

Hadfield, a former president of Think Local First Society and a board member of the Victoria chapter of the B.C. Restaurant and Foodservices Association, had championed Tutti in its early days. Think Local First promotes local businesses.

“Tutti just seemed like such a great fit,” he said Friday.

Spinnakers Brewpub and Spinnakers Spirit Merchants are both owed money by Tutti, Hadfield said. He declined to reveal the amount.

The appeal of Tutti was that it launched as a local business in Victoria in 2017 with rates considerably lower than other services.

Local restaurants said they paid 10 to 15 per cent.

Hadfield signed up with Tutti early in the pandemic. Initially, payment came in on time.

Similar to other local restaurants who say they are owed thousands of dollars, Hadfield said the relationship with Tutti “seemed to change sometime in the spring.”

Spinnakers had been reaching out to Tutti for payment and received the same responses given to others that payment was forthcoming or was in the mail but funds remain outstanding, he said.

More: https://digitaltimes...281535114770829

#6924 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 05:24 AM

I have no idea what the odds are. You think the pizza delivery guy just goes to your place and back to the pizza place and then back out again? I’m sure it happens, and I’m sure they avoid it whenever possible… unless they head to Redd’s place especially for the fat tip.

I’ve never been a delivery driver, but I have seen plenty of drivers pick up multiple orders at a time.

The last time I spoke with a STD driver (3 months ago) he told me that they only pick up one order at a time. Purpose is to make sure that orders are delivered quickly and do not go cold. AFAIK they do not get to pick and choose orders.

• Matt R. likes this

#6925 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 06:08 AM

The appeal of Tutti was that it launched as a local business in Victoria in 2017 with rates considerably lower than other services.

Local restaurants said they paid 10 to 15 per cent.

Hadfield signed up with Tutti early in the pandemic. Initially, payment came in on time.

Similar to other local restaurants who say they are owed thousands of dollars, Hadfield said the relationship with Tutti “seemed to change sometime in the spring.”

Spinnakers had been reaching out to Tutti for payment and received the same responses given to others that payment was forthcoming or was in the mail but funds remain outstanding, he said.

More: https://digitaltimes...281535114770829

Wow - this company has been around since 2017 and this is the first I heard of them. 

So what is the cut DD and Skip charge? Is it the same no matter the size of the order?

#6926 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 06:10 AM

Wow - this company has been around since 2017 and this is the first I heard of them. 

So what is the cut DD and Skip charge? Is it the same no matter the size of the order?

It's been reported as 25-35%.

#6927 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 09:36 AM

The last time I spoke with a STD driver (3 months ago) he told me that they only pick up one order at a time. Purpose is to make sure that orders are delivered quickly and do not go cold. AFAIK they do not get to pick and choose orders.

Ah! Perhaps they are unique in this or changed? I’ve been in restaurants lately waiting for a table and have seen drivers (not std I guess) pick up multiple orders at once.

Single order delivery seems awfully inefficient.

#6928 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 09:39 AM

STD may be the worst acronym for a business name ever.

• Matt R. likes this

#6929 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 09:40 AM

Nowadays it's all about the inefficiencies. Making them worse, that is.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#6930 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 10:58 AM

Ah! Perhaps they are unique in this or changed? I’ve been in restaurants lately waiting for a table and have seen drivers (not std I guess) pick up multiple orders at once.

That person is not picking up multiple orders. One order comes in multiple bags. Hot food in one, cool food in another. And I'm just ordering for one. An order for 4 people would easily come in many bags. Doesn't this happen at your place that you have said does a fair amount of take out?

And yes single order delivery is inefficient. Which is why I said the math doesn't work.

• Matt R. likes this

#6931 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 11:54 AM

No there is no delivery here. I asked around and it can indeed go either way and it all depends on the timing and route and they do very often run with just one pick up BUT may be picking up at one location for multiple companies which is probably what I have witnessed previously.

#6932 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 12:49 PM

It's been reported as 25-35%.

Ouch.

#6933 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 12:55 PM

I think you can set your delivery item prices higher than you charge for dine in or take out. So you can finesse it a bit. But in markets with lots of competition, you have to stay competitive of course. Your customers are looking at a screen with plenty of options and special offers elsewhere.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 August 2022 - 01:00 PM.

#6934 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 02:17 PM

I think you can set your delivery item prices higher than you charge for dine in or take out. So you can finesse it a bit. But in markets with lots of competition, you have to stay competitive of course. Your customers are looking at a screen with plenty of options and special offers elsewhere.

Are there really people who to choose to order their burger from one place rather than another because of a couple of dollars?

#6935 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 02:19 PM

They might in bigger centres.

#6936 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 02:27 PM

Could this be a bit of a fad, like Groupon?

Eventually there will be a price ceiling for this service and none of these companies are profitable yet, meaning they’re not charging enough for the service while prices are already higher, and very good tipping of the driver sounds like an incentive, plus you’re tipping the restaurant.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6937 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 02:29 PM

It’s not a fad.

It’s crazy that until an app was available, widespread delivery was not available outside of pizza places. That’s the kooky part. Even places like McDonalds that obviously had the volume, never went there.

It’ll settle like any other industry.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 August 2022 - 02:31 PM.

#6938 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 07:43 PM

When I am at my favourite deli having lunch I see delivery guys coming in non-stop over the lunch hour and each one of them picks up multiple orders.

They are in individual bags with the receipt attached to each one.

Could be going to an office with lunch for several different folks.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#6939 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 08:40 PM

It’s crazy that until an app was available, widespread delivery was not available outside of pizza places.

Food delivery is another one of those amazing 21st-century innovations that every pizza place and Chinese restaurant had already been doing like crazy for 50+ years. Not to mention milk and juice delivery and meal deliveries for seniors. Where would we be without smartphones? Right back where we started, but with fewer hassles and less aggravation.

• Nparker likes this

#6940 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 15 August 2022 - 02:33 PM

Yes food delivery is not new.

But the previous businesses paid the delivery people. So those businesses had to work out the math.

In the current model it is up to the worker to figure out if this is worth it.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users