[Rail] Commuter rail

• Please log in to reply
3104 replies to this topic

#2481 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 09:49 AM

No they walk into a store (1 location) then if they need to go to another with a parking lot, they drive to that one..  They don't leave their car and walk 3 blocks...  All I'm saying...  

You think someone parking alongside the TD Bank on Fort Street to visit the branch, won't then drive to London Drugs, if that's where they're going next? Of course they would.

First you claimed there's no street parking. Then you claim nobody is on the sidewalks, now you're making up stories that you think only apply to one place. Where are you going to take us next?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2482 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 09:55 AM

Omg, look! More cars parked on Victoria's main drag than people on the sidewalk!!!  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

What stories can we make up about these non-existing pedestrians?

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 10.53.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 10.53.14 AM.png

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2483 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 09:58 AM

Oh my gawwwwd. Where is everyone???

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 10.57.18 AM.png

Know it all.

#2484 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 10:07 AM

Oh my gawwwwd. Where is everyone???

Alright smart ass, let's do a tour of each downtown on some Saturday afternoons (more than one) and see what's happening...

• Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#2485 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 10:15 AM

You think someone parking alongside the TD Bank on Fort Street to visit the branch, won't then drive to London Drugs, if that's where they're going next? Of course they would.

First you claimed there's no street parking. Then you claim nobody is on the sidewalks, now you're making up stories that you think only apply to one place. Where are you going to take us next?

I do not think someone stopping at TD will then drive to Shoppers...  

Mike there is very little street parking along Goldstream.. Count them.  All the parking is in the parking lots owned privately.  What are stories that apply to one place?  What are you talking about.  I'm talking about 2 or 3 block distance that yes people will walk in the core but in Langford they will drive, while in Sidney they would likely walk that, why?  Because, walkable...  I'm not sure why you would argue this...  Where would you like to be taken next..?

#2486 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 12:37 PM

There’s very little street parking along Douglas, too. What points are you trying to make?

You think someone living in a condo above Goldstream is going to drive their car from block to block? Is walking only the domain of downtown Victoria?

I just don’t get your consternation. Maybe we should go for a walking tour of Langford. You’re buying lunch though!

Know it all.

#2487 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 12:52 PM

There’s very little street parking along Douglas, too. What points are you trying to make?

You think someone living in a condo above Goldstream is going to drive their car from block to block? Is walking only the domain of downtown Victoria?

I just don’t get your consternation. Maybe we should go for a walking tour of Langford. You’re buying lunch though!

You just took 3 pictures of blocks with tons of parking...  No I think someone going to say the strip mall with Darcy's in it for something who needs to get something from the grocery store across the street will drive there.

#2488 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 01:13 PM

Same amount as you’ll find on Goldstream.

I still don’t know what your issue is.

Know it all.

#2489 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 02:23 PM

Same amount as you’ll find on Goldstream.

I still don’t know what your issue is.

Issue was the comparison of downtown Langford as improving as a downtown when really it's more like the Colwood strip, not like a Sidney or even Oak Bay Village.

#2490 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 02:48 PM

Allow me to fill in for aastra.

Victoria has spent much of its post-modern existence trying to undo that which made it a legitimate downtown at the turn of the 20th century, with cries of not wanting to become like Vancouver. Only in the last few years did it embrace its destiny and finally went for it.

Langford has embraced growth with vigour since the early 90s, and diverted its efforts into turning a little node mostly made up of single family homes and nondescript commercial spaces into the second busiest commercial centre outside of downtown Victoria. You’d think that would be somewhere in Saanich, but you’d think wrong.

Yet, Victorians say nah, there’s nothing there. No on-street parking, even. It’s less a commercial centre than Oak Bay Village. It’s not like there are dozens of residential buildings and thousands of people living in downtown Langford, because if there were, it wouldn’t be less of a commercial centre than Cook Street Village is (did you know it now has a pizzeria? Well, did you? Cook Street village has four apartments, too, so Langford needs to sit down, or it might get the wrong idea and start building offices. Nobody wants that. And it would never happen, anyways, because Oak Bay Village doesn’t have any office blocks, does it?

/aastra

Edited by Mike K., 24 March 2022 - 02:55 PM.

Know it all.

#2491 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 02:52 PM

Allow me to fill in for aastra.

Victoria has spent much of its post-modern existence trying to undo that which made it a legitimate downtown at the turn of the 20th century, with cries of not wanting to become like Vancouver. Only in the last few years did it embrace its destiny and finally went for it.

Langford has embraced growth with vigour since the early 90s, and diverted its efforts into turning a little node mostly made up of single family homes and nondescript commercial spaces into the second busiest commercial centre outside of downtown Victoria. You’d think that would be somewhere in Saanich, but you’d think wrong.

Yet, Victorians say nah, there’s nothing there. No on-street parking, even. It’s less a commercial centre than Oak Bay Village. It’s not like there are dozens of residential buildings and the thousands of people living in downtown Langford, because if there were, it wouldn’t be less of a commercial centre than Cook Street Village (did you know it now has a pizzeria? Well, did you? Cook Street village has four apartments now, so Langford needs to sit down, or it might get the wrong idea and start building more offices. Nobody wants that. And it would never happen, anyways, because Oak Bay Village doesn’t have any office blocks, does it?

/aastra

OMG lol, that's brilliant..  But you won't retract like the CBC does, you'll just let the false of a lot of that linger...

Edited by Ismo07, 24 March 2022 - 02:53 PM.

#2492 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 02:58 PM

See, what happens when you spend all of your time downtown and work a block from your home is you lose touch with everything else going on around the region.

You gotta get out more.

Know it all.

#2493 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 03:07 PM

See, what happens when you spend all of your time downtown and work a block from your home is you lose touch with everything else going on around the region.

You gotta get out more.

I'm in Langford more than I care thank you...  Plus don't tell people what part of the City I work in..  They are after me.

#2494 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 03:14 PM

Yeah we know. You’re the guy driving between downtown Langford stores.

Know it all.

#2495 phx

phx
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 06:27 PM

And this year Langford is completing its Station Ave beatification project 

I think you mean beautification, but I could be wrong.

• Nparker and Matt R. like this

#2496 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 07:40 PM

I think you mean beautification, but I could be wrong.

"Beatification."  It's poetic.  Like punching a Rhododendron at Beacon Hill Park.

#2497 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 07:41 PM

Exactly. That’s what I was going for.

Know it all.

#2498 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 08:43 PM

Wasn't meant as a slag.  That typo actually speaks to some of the behaviour we see going on today.  I might borrow it the next time we see some of the unintended consequences of CoV .

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#2499 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,502 posts

Posted 25 March 2022 - 07:16 AM

Beatifully said!

#2500 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 25 March 2022 - 07:42 AM

All of you are missing the point. Take some time to stroll down Pandora Ave. You will see people everywhere along the strip. Lots will come up to you and talk to you.

I dont think that Victoria is going to lose its economic center because the government will keep jobs downtown for the moment. But the question is whether business will start to relocate to the West Shore.

What might be interesting to see what percentage of people who live in the West Shore actually work there as well. I dont know if it is a fact but it seems that a lot of the morning traffic from the West Shore actually does not go downtown but rather into Saanach.

Ten years ago we used to spend both time and money in downtown Victoria. These days we will go to either Oak Bay or even Sidney rather than step into the downtown core. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users