Photo

Skywatching and stargazing in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
685 replies to this topic

#121 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 09:41 AM

That's over 8 quadrillion miles away.  We won't be probing it for life any time soon.  :(

And with nearly 2 times Earth's gravity, if we do ever visit, taking a stroll on the surface will be hard going. Conversely, Kepler-452b's inhabitants would have a bouncey good time here on old Terra.

#122 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:35 PM

So, for this eclipse on Sunday night, weather looks good.  But it pretty much is happening as soon as the moon comes up.  So I ask, where is the best place to go to see the moon rise?  And where exactly does it rise from (I know it's the east), ie. over what landmark if I'm looking from say, downtown?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#123 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:18 PM

In case this helps.  I chose V8N since I though that's near Mt. Tolmie and Mt. Doug.

moony.png

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#124 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:34 PM

ed99.png

#125 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:42 PM

Event      Time in Victoria*   Visible in Victoria

Penumbral Eclipse begins   Sep 27 at 5:11:47 PM   No, below horizon
Partial Eclipse begins   Sep 27 at 6:07:13 PM   No, below horizon
Full Eclipse begins   Sep 27 at 7:11:12 PM   Yes

Maximum Eclipse   Sep 27 at 7:47:09 PM   Yes
Full Eclipse ends   Sep 27 at 8:23:05 PM   Yes
Partial Eclipse ends   Sep 27 at 9:27:05 PM   Yes
Penumbral Eclipse ends   Sep 27 at 10:22:31 PM   Yes

http://www.timeandda...15-september-28

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#126 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 03:03 PM

"But researchers from UC Berkeley’s SETI Institute think it could be something else entirely: They think this could be a sign of alien technology. Boyajian is working with SETI and Jason Wright, an astronomer from Penn State University, to develop a proposal to observe the star with NRAO’s Green Bank Telescope to search for radio waves. If they detect anything intriguing, they then have plans to use the Very Large Array (VLA) in New Mexico to listen for what could be the sounds of alien technology."

http://www.iflscienc...mysterious-star

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#127 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 02:56 PM

^ This is very cool.

They are excited about turning their radio-telescopes this way to see if they can find radio waves there, that would maybe be a sign of technology use by the aliens - and if they find it, it's 1400 years ago, since it's that many light year away.

Why the discovery of a strange star has serious scientists talking about an alien megastructure

But one finding from the program was unlike anything else scientists had ever seen. Volunteers marked it out as unusual in 2011, right after the program started: a star whose light curves seemed to dip tremendously at irregular intervals. At one point, about 800 days into the survey, the star’s brightness dropped by 15 percent. Later, around day 1,500, it dropped by a shocking 22 percent. Whatever was causing the dips, it could not have been a planet – even a Jupiter-sized planet, the biggest in our solar system, would only dim this star by 1 percent as it transited across, Slate reported. (The Kepler telescope was badly damaged in 2013, so the researchers don’t have data from more recent dips, if there were any).

Aliens should always be the very last hypothesis you consider, but this looked like something you would expect an alien civilization to build

Scientists – at least, the ones who like to theorize about these things – have long said that an advanced alien civilization would be marked by its ability to harness the energy from its sun (rather than scrabbling over its planet’s resources like us puny earthlings). They envision something like a Dyson Sphere, a hypothetical megastructure first proposed by physicist Freeman Dyson that would orbit or even encompass a star, capturing its power and putting it to use.

Obviously, a Dyson sphere has never been spotted in real life, though they’re all over science fiction. But if one were to exist, it wouldn’t look like a metal ball around the sun – it would probably comprise a chain of smaller satellites or space habitats, something that would block its star’s light as weirdly and irregularly as the light of KIC 8462852 has been blocked. That’s why researchers who are interested in finding alien life are so excited about the finding.

Boyajian, Wright and Andrew Siemion, the director of the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence Research Center at the University of California, Berkeley, are now working on getting access to the massive radio dishes they can point at the star in search of the kinds of radio waves usually emitted by technology.

http://news.national...n-megastructure

Of course, the star in question is about 1,481 light-years away from Earth – meaning that even if aliens did create a giant solar panel complex out there, they did so in the 6th century, while we were emptying chamber pots out of second story windows and fighting off the first bubonic plague pandemic.

#128 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:37 PM

Stargazers around the world are hoping to catch a glimpse of Mars on Monday night, as the red planet makes its closest approach to Earth in more than a decade.

For the past two weeks, Mars has been appearing brighter than usual in the night sky as it crosses paths with Earth at a distance of about 75 million kilometres.

The encounter happens every 26 months, but some encounters are closer than others due to Mars’ elliptical orbit, National Geographic astronomy columnist Andrew Fazekas told CTV News Channel.

[...]

http://www.ctvnews.c...xpert-1.2924091

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#129 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:45 AM

http://dailyhive.com...s-across-canada

The Northern Lights will be visible across Canada tonight

#130 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,611 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 01:27 PM

Thanks for the heads up VHF. Might have to break out my "real" (Olympus PEN EP3) camera and tripod and take some pics. Although we live in the midst of suburbia the backyard is well shielded from street and other light sources so much so it might actually be worth the effort.

#131 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:03 AM

A couple of reports of a meteor over Westshore way last night--one View Royal resident saying he heard a boom and the house shook.

#132 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:04 AM

Oh wow

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#133 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:15 AM

10 mins ago I sawcan amazing meteor shoot east to west across Victoria!! Did anyone else see it? I was looking southwest towards sooke from Saanichton??

#134 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:50 AM

People saw it and heard it in Alberta, too, according to a woman who posted to VV's Facebook page. Some folks locally saw the meteor but didn't hear the boom, others saw/heard both, and others only heard the boom.

Crazy.

Know it all.

#135 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:55 PM

Sorry, I'll tell them to slow down next time they visit for their annual probing.

#136 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 08:40 AM

A lunar eclipse will be visible in Victoria on February 10th. The eclipse will begin at 2:34PM and end at 6:53PM, so by the time it gets dark we should be able to get a pretty decent view.

February's moon is referred to as the "Snow Moon," or the "Hunger Moon" by some cultures, as the deepest snows tend to occur this month.

And then on February 11th we're going have the opportunity to see the "New Year Comet," which we reappears in the night sky every five years, approximately.

Weather forecast: the forecast, so far, calls for cloud cover, but on either end of the 10th and 11th there are patchy skies, meaning we could still get to catch a glimpse of both events.

Know it all.

#137 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:30 PM

The eclipse will begin at 2:34PM

??? the Moon doesnt rise here until 5:30pm and its a partial eclipse

#138 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:33 PM

Ya it's going to be barely noticeable it's so partial.

#139 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:56 PM

??? the Moon doesnt rise here until 5:30pm and its a partial eclipse

The moon still exists even though we can't see it.

Know it all.

#140 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 02:26 PM

Ya so do little green men walking around mars ..

Eclipses only occur during Full Moons.

A full moon always rises after the sun sets

On Friday its an odd one because the moon rises only one minute after the sun sets

Your post A lunar eclipse will be visible in Victoria on February 10th. The eclipse will begin at 2:34PM and end at 6:53PM  suggested that eclipse would be visible here beginning at 2:34 pm

I am only setting the record straight in fact I do not believe that the moon will be above the horizon at 2:34 pm local time  anywhere

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users