• Please log in to reply
646 replies to this topic

#81 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:21 PM

Let's hope the clouds clear up a bit this evening. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#82 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:50 PM

Remember, never look at a lunar eclipse with your bare eyes.  Use at least a #75 welding glass.  If you don't, mythology says you turn to stone.  That must be it, because I specifically remember my mother telling me it was something else that would make me go blind: welding.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#83 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:13 PM

I heard the moon was made of cheese iam-1_zpsff56f7b9.gif

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#84 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:44 PM

My phone app can see the moon but the clouds are spoiling the view.

#85 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:54 AM

The moon was very visible in the middle of the night, sometime around 3AM or so.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#86 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:58 AM

1a.jpg

Doug Clement got that around 2am.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#87 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:12 AM

I guess I should have stayed up.  I went to bed around midnight and there was no moon.  Well I'm sure there was a moon somewhere behind the clouds.  Of all the nights to be cloudy...

#88 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:22 PM

I guess I should have stayed up.  I went to bed around midnight and there was no moon.  Well I'm sure there was a moon somewhere behind the clouds.  Of all the nights to be cloudy...

I might try to stay up and catch it tonight.

#89 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:44 PM

That'll work

#90 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:05 PM

It's a two day event?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#91 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:15 PM

It might be for Bingo ;)

There's another one on Oct 8 I think.  Weather forecasters calling for cloud. 

#92 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:21 PM

Ohhh :)

Know it all.

#93 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:36 PM

Anyone camping out for the big show tonight?

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...night-1.2650775

#94 eseedhouse

eseedhouse
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:57 PM

There's another one on Oct 8 I think.  Weather forecasters calling for cloud. 

There are several meteor showers every year, mostly about the same times of the year.

A new one, on the other hand, is rather unusual.  The one predicted for tonight would be just that, a new one where there hasn't been one before.  So to amateur astronomers at least, it has a special meaning.  This is your chance to see the Camelopardalids for the first time ever, assuming the prediction is correct.

#95 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 01:45 PM

Anyone camping out for the big show tonight?

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...night-1.2650775

Will I need my welding goggles for this one?

#96 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 01:56 PM

Ya, I watched that lunar eclipse a few weeks back and I could see nothing at all with my welding glasses on.  So I just went back inside and finished off some welding jobs I had lined up.

#97 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 May 2014 - 02:16 PM

Sounds like it was a dud.  I don't think anyone needed welding goggles for it.

#98 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 02:22 PM

Sounds like it was a dud.  I don't think anyone needed welding goggles for it.

No, they said it was big enough to view with the naked eye, but you could burn your retina if you look directly at the moon at night.

#99 eseedhouse

eseedhouse
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:17 AM

No, they said it was big enough to view with the naked eye, but you could burn your retina if you look directly at the moon at night.

Whoever "they' were, they were telling you nonsense.  The only celestial object you need protection to observe visually is the Sun.

Venus is actually much brighter than the moon for an equal unit of area.  And you don't need protection for your eyes to look at it, either.

#100 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:19 AM

Whoever "they' were, they were telling you nonsense.  

It was the commission-based salesman at the welding supplies store.

• Bingo likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users