Victoria grocery store and supermarket discussion

• Please log in to reply
1606 replies to this topic

#621 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:34 AM

Just goes to show how precise the demand/supply ratio is. In the event of a natural disaster grocery stores will be empty within 2-3 days. Gas stations within 1-2 days.

I lived in Banff when the highway washed out a few years ago, and the two grocery stores in town were barren of produce immediately. Word around town was that the restaurants cleaned them out (and being a tourist town, there are a lot of restaurants). It was nothing but canned and frozen food for a couple days before Safeway was finally allowed to get a truck through.

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#622 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 09:06 AM

As Matt R. goes zoinks and disappears into the snow...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#623 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 09:19 AM

That’s an interesting question. Does a bare shelf or a lack of certain items trigger a desire to buy more of other items? It’s quite possible, especially if you’re in an area that loses power frequently or come from a place where supplies could run dry.

Capture.JPG

https://books.google...epage&q&f=false

#624 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:20 AM

As Matt R. goes zoinks and disappears into the snow...

Barely anything here, maybe an inch. Next to nothing at sea level but I’m sure the hills like Bruce and Tuam have a foot. I’ll send you a photo later, lots of people hike those hills in this weather as it’s a quick trip and the scenery is stunning.

We’re closing early today. There is just no business, even the ferry is dead slow. There is a terrible hill between us and town, and when this weather hits getting out of fulford can be very challenging. Even the busses usually give up. So, in the interest of getting our crew home safe before it gets worse, we’re going to pull the plug.

Matt.
  • Mike K. and grantpalin like this

#625 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:22 AM

Barely anything here, maybe an inch. Next to nothing at sea level but I’m sure the hills like Bruce and Tuam have a foot. I’ll send you a photo later, lots of people hike those hills in this weather as it’s a quick trip and the scenery is stunning.

We’re closing early today. There is just no business, even the ferry is dead slow. There is a terrible hill between us and town, and when this weather hits getting out of fulford can be very challenging. Even the busses usually give up. So, in the interest of getting our crew home safe before it gets worse, we’re going to pull the plug.

Matt.

Serious question, but where exactly is 'town' in your context? Is Fulford a town or even a village? 

#626 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:25 AM

I would assume town is Ganges.

#627 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:30 AM

https://saltspringma...t-the-villages/

Ganges has:

Thrifty Foods, Country Grocer, restaurants, cafes, two marinas, high school, middle school, elementary school, swimming pool, two gas stations, two pharmacies, post office, two liquor stores, performing arts centre, auto parts store, hopsital, recycling depot, paint store, Legion, RCMP station, various other stores

#628 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:34 AM

Oh haha yes town is Ganges.

Fulford is a “village” in the OCP but there isn’t much here. Us, a general store, the weird cafe next to us, an awesome little clothing store, and a new pottery place. One accounting office and I think that’s it. There is a little bit more commercial and industrial zoning but it’s not currently being used. If it weren’t for BC Ferries there would be nothing more than a single cafe/general store.

Merchant House bought the old Fulford Inn site and is proposing something pretty awesome, now they just need to sell it to the Islands Trust. It’s called The Vortex.

Matt.

#629 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:34 AM

I wasn't sure if that's what you meant, as I'm pretty sure there is a lot more than one hill between Fulford and Ganges.

Edited by lanforod, 14 January 2020 - 10:35 AM.

#630 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:40 AM

Merchant House bought the old Fulford Inn site and is proposing something pretty awesome, now they just need to sell it to the Islands Trust. It’s called The Vortex.

What location is that property?

#631 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:43 AM

No, not really. There is one hill going into Ganges again but it points down. :)

The one that messes people up is called Lee’s Hill, with the wineries and olive farm on it. I’ve never had much issue with it, but lots of people don’t bother with winter tires here for some reason and after dark it can get very icy. We have a new contractor this year for road maintenance, we will see how they do.

Coming to fulford from Ganges, Ganges hill can be a pain too. A couple years back the island farms truck decided to try it without chains and got stuck, blocked the main road for a little while.

We don’t usually have problems with deliveries due to weather, they are usually well equipped and good at what they do.

Matt.

#632 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:03 PM

Most Greater Victoria grocery stores back on track after weather delays left shelves empty

Ferry cancellations due to wind and snow left several shops without perishables

https://www.vicnews....-shelves-empty/

Most grocery stores are back to normal after weather patterns caused delays in deliveries, leaving many shelves empty of perishable products.

Signs posted at stores like the Save-on-Foods in Westside Village or University Heights read that “deliveries of milk and bread have been affected by the weather,” leading some people to look elsewhere.

The biggest problem, explained Brad Boughton, store manager at the Country Grocer in Esquimalt, was the delayed ferries.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 January 2020 - 12:04 PM.

#633 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:09 PM

I thought the vast majority of our milk came from the Island.

• Matt R. likes this

#634 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:29 PM

I noticed a few empty shelves today at Shoppers Drug Mart, but I'm happy to report they had plenty of St. Hubert brand Tortiere, which on a day like today sounds like a good idea.

What's amazing is despite the empty shelves in grocery stores, etc., the beer stores are going all out and are as full as ever. It's like the goods are helicoptered in if necessary.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#635 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 01:04 PM

alcohol does not really spoil quick so it does not need such a turn.

#636 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 04:05 PM

I thought the vast majority of our milk came from the Island.

Most of the milk produced by Island Farms (Agropur) comes from Lower Mainland cows and Lower Mainland dairy plants, believe it or not. Saputo recently closed their Courtenay milk plant. The plant here in Victoria is the only major dairy plant left on the Island. Won't be long before most milk consumed on the Island comes from elsewhere. 

#637 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 04:06 PM

...Won't be long before most milk consumed on the Island comes from elsewhere. 

Will they rename themselves "Off Island Farms"?

• Rob Randall likes this

#638 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 04:11 PM

Will they rename themselves "Off Island Farms"?

Doubt it. Saputo still uses the "Armstrong Cheese" brand despite closing the Armstrong plant immediately after acquiring the company.

#639 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 04:14 PM

Most of the milk produced by Island Farms (Agropur) comes from Lower Mainland cows and Lower Mainland dairy plants, believe it or not. Saputo recently closed their Courtenay milk plant. The plant here in Victoria is the only major dairy plant left on the Island. Won't be long before most milk consumed on the Island comes from elsewhere. 

Very few dairy farms on the island. Not possible for all our dairy to be produced here.

#640 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 04:19 PM

Very few dairy farms on the island. Not possible for all our dairy to be produced here.

Exactly my point to Rob's thinking that the vast majority of our milk comes from the Island.

At the end of the day, 95% of the dairy in stores is made by either Saputo, Agropur, or Parmalat. It comes from wherever it comes from, but you look at the brand and you think it's local so it makes you feel good. They make a profit, rise and repeat. Unless you're strictly buying your cheese from Little Qualicum Cheeseworks or your milk from Cowichan Milk Company, chances are it was produced off the Island.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)