Victoria grocery store and supermarket discussion

• Please log in to reply
1606 replies to this topic

#601 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 09:18 PM

I am not sure. They certainly spoke like they were... 

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#602 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 30 September 2019 - 07:37 AM

Hey!  Long time lurker - first time poster here.  I live and work in the Vancouver/Pandora area and love the new Save On foods and the buzz it's generated in the area.  I'm wondering if there's any more information about who the new tenants might be at both 1008 Pandora or also at 1488 Cook?  I think a nice high end liquor store like they have in Vessel at the Oak Bay Junction would be a great addition.  There has been little to no activity at the 1488 location so wondering if anyone has info.

I don't think any other tenant have been revealed for 1008 Pandora. All five units are still listed on Bosa's commercial leasing site.

There is Building Permit in progress for a new daycare at 1488 Cook (meaning in progress at the City, not issued yet)

#603 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 03:12 PM

Wellburn’s has shut down due to the failure of the seer system in the buildings basement; I wonder if they will try to reopen, given the impending redevelopment here?

https://www.timescol...shop-1.24022993

#604 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 03:36 PM

Wellburn’s has shut down due to the failure of the seer system in the buildings basement...

You'd have thought a "seer" system would have seen this coming.  ;)

#605 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 03:54 PM

You expect a failing seer system to foresee its own failure? You'd need to have redundant seer systems for that to work, and setting those up would require a lot of foresight.

#606 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 03:56 PM

Perhaps the seer system knew its fate but no one would believe it. I think that's a feature of the "Cassandra" model.

Edited by Nparker, 29 November 2019 - 03:57 PM.

#607 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 03:56 PM

Not to mention the impact that all of those expensive seer systems would have on the business and its prophets...

• Nparker likes this

#608 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 04:03 PM

Perhaps the seer knew its fate but no one would believe it.

That's very clever. The prophet Isaiah + doubting Thomas = doubting Isaiah Thomas. Similar to Being John Malkovich.*

*I would also have accepted Regarding Henry for partial credit

• Nparker likes this

#609 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:11 AM

this recently opened.  old "food forum".

#610 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:53 AM

I checked it out. The focus seemed to be on produce. For some reason my expectations were different. I was thinking something more like Pepper's.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#611 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:00 PM

Broadmead Thrifty was seriously low on product this evening due to the snow storm. Aisles were noticeably barren and certain items in the meat department like chicken were almost gone. The produce department was almost picked clean. The Root Cellar on McKenzie was well stocked.

#612 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:52 PM

Just goes to show how precise the demand/supply ratio is. In the event of a natural disaster grocery stores will be empty within 2-3 days. Gas stations within 1-2 days.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#613 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:03 PM

I noticed the same here at the country grocer today. Still plenty of food, but a couple items in particular that I was looking for were totally out, and I’m talking fresh produce items, nothing obscure.

Matt.

#614 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:08 PM

Broadmead Thrifty was completely out of mushrooms and lettuce. They only had organic peppers left. 

A complication could be that people tend to overshop in a panic. That tends to lead to extra wastage, for example, people buy things like unfamiliar cuts of beef that they ruin or don't store properly. 

#615 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 04:20 AM

isn’t it also likely a few semi trailers of restock never made it over. rather than a run on shopping? trucking was impacted by the ferry mess.

#616 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:32 AM

Indeed it was and that also means the truck barge may have cancelled a sailing or two, or more. Is there any way to confirm their ability to cross in rough seas? They’ll probably err on the side of caution with that thing.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#617 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:35 AM

Indeed it was and that also means the truck barge may have cancelled a sailing or two, or more. Is there any way to confirm their ability to cross in rough seas? They’ll probably err on the side of caution with that thing.

does it matter?  it's not like we'll ever have 5 or 7 days of bad weather together.

#618 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:38 AM

Trust me, if one of those trucks was a beer truck there would be hell to pay.

But we did just have Friday to Sunday of bad weather and cancellations, with Sunday being the worst. Then snow on Monday caused travel issues especially for trucks. It’s been a rough several days for supply chains to the Island.

Know it all.

#619 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:40 AM

isn’t it also likely a few semi trailers of restock never made it over. rather than a run on shopping? trucking was impacted by the ferry mess.

Yes, trailers caught as Tswswasswen.

But I am willing to bet that the average receipt was higher last night once shoppers saw the diminishing shelves.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#620 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:53 AM

That’s an interesting question. Does a bare shelf or a lack of certain items trigger a desire to buy more of other items? It’s quite possible, especially if you’re in an area that loses power frequently or come from a place where supplies could run dry.
  • Tailor likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)