Victoria grocery store and supermarket discussion

• Please log in to reply
1606 replies to this topic

#1021 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,042 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 03:25 PM

What’s the story on the bird? What made it better than normal?

OBMG always gave all the crew (that’s a lot of crew, back in the day) a voucher for a turkey, ham or tofurkey from Thrifty’s. No dollar amount, so of course people took advantage and looked for the biggest, most super organic bird money could buy.

Matt.

#1022 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 08:27 AM

We usually buy a fresh turkey but wanted to avoid stores the last week so bought a frozen one. It was excellent, but my husband is a very good cook (learned some skills in Switzerland years ago). I'm not sure we'll bother with an expensive fresh turkey again. The frozen was every bit as good and far cheaper. 

#1023 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 09:14 AM

What’s the story on the bird? What made it better than normal?

OBMG always gave all the crew (that’s a lot of crew, back in the day) a voucher for a turkey, ham or tofurkey from Thrifty’s. No dollar amount, so of course people took advantage and looked for the biggest, most super organic bird money could buy.

Matt.

We liked the Costco turkeys because they were chilled as opposed to frozen but they never really browned or crisped up in the oven. The RB birds which were organic turkeys from the Cowichan area, cooked up amazingly, were drop dead easy to carve - the meat literally fell off the breastbone - and above all it was the most flavorful, tender and juicy bird we can ever recall. And of course unlike Costco it didn't involve driving out to the west shore and enduring the crazy lineups and crowds. My wife showed up at RB two minutes after opening, at 6:02am, no crowd, no fuss, no muss. Ultimately the proof was in the eating, even little miss ASE, who is not a meat person, had seconds. Would definitely order from them again.

• Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#1024 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 January 2021 - 10:08 AM

Anyone who wants their turkey to crisp up needs one of these: Trudeau in Barbados  

No wait, copy and paste hasn't gone right.

One of these:  https://www.canadian...r-0853130p.html

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1025 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 08:10 AM

As I am of British heritage, it has always been the custom to put lashes of bacon over the top of the turkey. It helps keep it moist and browns it up nicely. And the bacon is excellent at the end of it all! I can't imagine a turkey without bacon on top. My husband also injects melted butter under the skin. 

#1026 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 11:42 AM

Since there's nothing to do outside the home besides go food shopping I sent this photo to my UK friends showing them the "Ethnic Aisle" of our local supermarket, a concept they found rather amusing:

138026332_10157439837986851_5422767229648755290_o.jpg

Note: there appears to be no "Canadian" foods in the Ethnic Aisle of English markets.

#1027 johnk2

johnk2
  • 209 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 01:13 PM

Someone noted long ago that there is no "British Books" section in a Brit bookstore but lots of Canadian bookstores have "Canadian" sections. 

#1028 FortStFriend

FortStFriend
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 01:36 PM

Walked up to the Urban Grocer this evening. Definitely more of a mini regular grocery store. Felt like a cross between the Fairway in Oak Bay village and the Market on Yates. They do have the full grocery store selection. Shelves are packed high to get it all in there.

Would agree the prices were on the high side.

Did get a nice chunk of rare roast beef so that will probably having me going back. Thrifty's has been cooking theirs to dust for quite a few years now.

Have been doing a decent amount of shopping at Urban Grocer since they opened - we are a family of two adults with no kids, so we can be pretty selective about what and how often we buy, and meal plan around flyers/sales, which, combined with their 10% discount on Sundays (don't know if that is a permanent thing) keeps Urban Grocer in the sweet spot for us financially. Experientially, a lot calmer than Market on Yates, but if you don't get a parking stall in the small Shopper's lot I'm not sure where you'd park - we walk from Fairfield when we can and the weather permits. Urban Grocer carries some very specific candies and treats, like Cuban Lunch, which I don't see elsewhere. Deli/bakery counter staff are great and everyone seems very helpful. Will be interesting to see that corner really pop if Vessel also takes over the Chinese food restaurant. 

#1029 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,049 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 01:48 PM

Someone noted long ago that there is no "British Books" section in a Brit bookstore but lots of Canadian bookstores have "Canadian" sections. 

you can't find many travel bookstores in london (notting hill) anymore either.

juliatravelshop.jpg

I ordered a joke book from Amazon. They wanted $45 for postage. I asked customer service why so expensive? They advised that good jokes are about the delivery.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 January 2021 - 02:15 PM.

• Rob Randall, Nparker, Matt R. and 4 others like this

#1030 cfbnp200e

cfbnp200e
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 08:19 AM

, but if you don't get a parking stall in the small Shopper's lot I'm not sure where you'd park - we walk from Fairfield when we can and the weather permits. 

We shop there a lot too - have almost always found parking in the area btw Urban Grocer & Vessel (technically the side & back of the store). The 10% off is running until end of Jan, I believe. Nice additional perk. Plus their flyer items are a great deal. It's not even in my 'hood, and it's become a weekly shop for us, because of the size, selection & sale prices. Plus they're carrying a lot of good local items (kombucha, tortillas, baked goods).

#1031 TwilightZoneVictoria

TwilightZoneVictoria
  • 316 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 10:49 AM

Since there's nothing to do outside the home besides go food shopping I sent this photo to my UK friends showing them the "Ethnic Aisle" of our local supermarket, a concept they found rather amusing:

attachicon.gif 138026332_10157439837986851_5422767229648755290_o.jpg

Note: there appears to be no "Canadian" foods in the Ethnic Aisle of English markets.

Too bad. Ketchup chips and our chocolate bars are coveted items. At least for expats in the US they are.

#1032 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 12:46 PM

Too bad. Ketchup chips and our chocolate bars are coveted items. At least for expats in the US they are.

The President's Choice Loads of Ketchup chips are the ketchupiest ketchup chips I have found so far.  

• Mike K., Matt R. and Jackerbie like this

#1033 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 12:47 PM

Yes. They are a problem.
  • Matt R., sukika and Jackerbie like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1034 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,049 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 06:13 AM

7-Eleven Canada working on in-store ‘consumption areas’ for beer and wine

https://www.canadian...-beer-and-wine/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 February 2021 - 06:14 AM.

#1035 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 06:25 AM

^Great, now we don't have to go all the way into Fernwood to Stage Wine Bar, we can just pop into the Quadra/McKenzie 7-Eleven near our place. Just kidding, this is the stupidest idea ever.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1036 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,049 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 06:36 AM

^Great, now we don't have to go all the way into Fernwood to Stage Wine Bar, we can just pop into the Quadra/McKenzie 7-Eleven near our place. Just kidding, this is the stupidest idea ever.

is it that silly really?  would it be much different from the food fair at hillside mall having a vendor with beer/wine?  

whole foods has (or had?) fin and pearl with beer and wine to drink in-store.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 February 2021 - 06:40 AM.

#1037 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 06:40 AM

I can't explain it, you know I'm pretty liberal when it comes to liquor laws, we go to the Tuscany Village Thrifty grog shop,  but this seems like a line has been crossed. 

#1038 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 07:05 AM

If the grog shop works at Thrifty’s I can’t see why it wouldn’t work at 7-11.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1039 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,049 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 07:10 AM

now your neighbourhood garbage men or contractors or soccer moms can easily go somewhere for a quick one together.

#1040 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 07:51 AM

What an extraordinary Cabernet; full-bodied yet not heavy; I'm picking up notes of citrus and earth and oh, wait, that's actually urinal cake and mop water from the adjacent bathroom.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users