City of Victoria looks to rein in horse-drawn carriages

• Please log in to reply
527 replies to this topic

#81 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:45 PM

I never read comments over there. I read them on one of my pages where the video was shared to. No comments removed by us.

1 video does not tell the whole story but the mob likes jumping to conclusions 

just like this series of examples

https://www.youtube....h?v=J19oj-lySBA

Edited by rjag, 15 May 2018 - 05:47 PM.

• Midnightly likes this

#82 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:48 PM

1 video does not tell the whole story. For example the video showing the horses falling is missing. That would help complete the picture here.
  • rjag likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#83 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:52 PM

Anyway now a discussion is forming over at CTV VI.

https://www.facebook.com/CTVVI/
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#84 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:12 PM

The group that posted the video has been removing any comments on the facebook page that does not corroborate their agenda. And there have been plenty. Folks who own horses, etc that have no chips in the pile other than pointing out that it looks worse than it is.

Shocking.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#85 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:18 PM

I think they need to build separated horse carriage lanes, or just use the bike lanes.

• VicHockeyFan, rjag, Matt R. and 1 other like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#86 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:53 PM

Anyway now a discussion is forming over at CTV VI.

https://www.facebook.com/CTVVI/

The comments on CTV VI seem much more balanced than the one on the "Victoria Horse Alliance - Ban Horse Carriages Victoria" that posted the video.

#87 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:02 AM

The group that posted the video has been removing any comments on the facebook page that does not corroborate their agenda. And there have been plenty. Folks who own horses, etc that have no chips in the pile other than pointing out that it looks worse than it is.

That’s because Jordan Reichert, who administers the group (and Vegans of Victoria) is an authoritarian thug who isn’t shy to use whatever means necessary to forward his agenda; including but not limited to deception and using his (admin) power to strangle discourse. Sounds like a real peach of a Victoria City Council candidate.

#88 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:17 AM

The comments on CTV VI seem much more balanced than the one on the "Victoria Horse Alliance - Ban Horse Carriages Victoria" that posted the video.

Yup even comments from vets that worked with horses and know the farm where they live.... not surprised that they aren’t fussed... this is an agenda driven emotional position not unlike the anti pipeline crowd. Just ignore facts and experts.... it’s the Ben Isitt way of governance

#89 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:21 AM

Except the pipeline is vital to our national economic interest and worth billions of dollars to millions of Canadians.

These two horse companies can be swapped out with something with no horses with no changes to our economy. With some forward thinking, something even better.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 16 May 2018 - 06:23 AM.

#90 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:35 AM

Except the pipeline is vital to our national economic interest and worth billions of dollars to millions of Canadians.

These two horse companies can be swapped out with something with no horses with no changes to our economy. With some forward thinking, something even better.

Haha you miss my point that the tactics employed by the folks that are against both are similar emotional based rhetoric that ignores the facts presented by the people that are expert in the field....in the horse case they are making hay (pardon the pun) over a video that 'appears' to show horses in distress without realizing that they are trained to lie there until they are unharnessed....but its being misrepresented to advance an agenda that wants this business removed under the guise of cruelty and danger.....better ban all those rental bikes that don't have mandatory helmets while you're at it

#91 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:39 AM

A case can be made that a person chooses to rent a bike and ride it with no helmet. I can tell you those two horses did not choose to lie down there. The carriage company owner even tells us it’s a bus that spooked one horse, and that pulled down the other. The video shows they struggled to stand. The video does not show the mayhem that caused them to fall.

I’m not suggesting causing financial harm to anyone. In fact if a move is made to phase out the program the two existing companies would be protected from competition in the interim.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 16 May 2018 - 06:40 AM.

#92 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:42 AM

I also presume the carriage companies employ veterinary professionals that are pro-carriage. A quick google shows there are plenty of vets - and entire organizations governed by vets - that are opposed to urban horse carriage operations.

http://www.hsvma.org...de#.WvxDjRbF3YU

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 16 May 2018 - 06:44 AM.

#93 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:57 AM

Heres a quote on their FB page from a recently retired vet that I know personally who has had her own horses and treated lots of horses but not the carriage ones. I have a lot of respect for her work and opinion. 

I'm not a fan of the horse rides either but that's more from a selfish driver perspective.... I was brought up with horses in the family and know some basics about the different types and uses etc....

As a retired veterinarian who has been involved with horses for well over 50 years I can tell you that there is a lot of sensationalization in this video. Did they slip and fall...yes...was it because they were exhausted...highly unlikely. These are experienced carriage horse who did not panic and try to get up. I have seen this with both carriage horses that are calm and trotters and pacers at the racetrack that have gone down. Is is difficult for a horse to stand back up when on pavement...yes...just like it can be hard for a person to get up when they have fallen on ice. One thing that I do know is that the Tally Ho horses are extremely well cared for. I drive past their farm almost daily. I have no reason to make these comments except for the fact that I do feel these horses are loved and well cared for. Also I pretty well know where they would be if they were not working horses and I don't find that situation to be very pleasant at all.

#94 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:06 AM

Here is a quote from several vets I do not know:

Unequivocally, horse-drawn carriages and motor vehicles should not share the same roadways, as doing so puts the animals and public at risk. With their exhaust fumes, hard road surfaces, and busy traffic patterns, cities are simply not humane—as opposed to survivable—environments for carriage horses. For these reasons, I recommend a ban on city carriage horse rides be implemented in each municipality, unless the horses can be restricted to a park or other area where they will not need to compete with motor vehicles for road space, and where their stabling provides the essentials of comfortable, humane, and safe housing, including the provision of daily “turn-out.”

#95 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:11 AM

Did they slip and fall...yes...was it because they were exhausted...highly unlikely. These are experienced carriage horse who did not panic and try to get up. I have seen this with both carriage horses that are calm and trotters and pacers at the racetrack that have gone down. Is is difficult for a horse to stand back up when on pavement...yes...just like it can be hard for a person to get up when they have fallen on ice. One thing that I do know is that the Tally Ho horses are extremely well cared for. 

I too believe the horses are well-cared-for.   I do not suggest that the horses were exhausted.   I agree they struggled to get up because they were on pavement.  I also would submit that if they were not on pavement in the busiest private bus terminal on the Island, they would not have gone down to begin with.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 16 May 2018 - 07:11 AM.

#96 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:38 AM

On CFAX they reported that both carriage operators and tourists were being harassed by animal activists.

#97 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:27 AM

Did you all see Meghan and Harry getting towed around Windsor Castle by poor, abused equines? Horrible. I can only imagine the outrage that must be raging in the UK right now. 

• Nparker, rjag, Bingo and 3 others like this

#98 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 03:09 PM

A few years back we visited the Royal Mews next to Buckingham Palace. We should all live so well!

• Nparker likes this

#99 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 03:56 PM

The SPCA is now calling for horse-drawn carriages to be banned from Victoria streets

http://www.timescolo...eets-1.23325547

They recommend that if carriage tours are to continue, they should be limited to safer park areas.

They’ve analyzed the recent video of the fallen horses, and have quite a few critiques and recommendations.

I think this letter from the SPCA will count more heavily with Council than the submissions of the other animal group.

#100 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 04:18 PM

Right, they recommend removing the carriages from busy streets, including Dallas Road.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users