Esquimalt policing

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#21 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:23 PM

Vic PD Chief optimistic province will choose them to provide service in Esquimalt

http://www.cfax1070....news&Itemid=155
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#22 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:03 AM

Victoria mayor Dean Fortin on CFAX right now (11:00 am Wednesday) to speak about Esquimalt policing and Occupy campers in Centennial Square.

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:00 PM

What did Mayor Fortin have to say about the police issue?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 04:21 PM

It's not like esquimalt doesn't have a history of making ridiculous spiteful decisions in regard to their services and deals with victoria...
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:39 AM

How about a toll on the JSB and Bay Street Bridge levied against Esquimalt residents to help keep displaced VicPD cops employed?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#26 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:42 AM

How about a toll on the JSB and Bay Street Bridge levied against Esquimalt residents to help keep displaced VicPD cops employed?

I suppose that would help keep the Esquimalt criminals out of Victoria, too :D

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:46 AM

Wouldn't that be nice!

Know it all.

#28 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:56 AM

It might not stop them, but they'd at least have to pay before getting drunk and peeing on our sidewalks.

Or, better still - just raise the bridge at 10pm and leave it up until sun rise. Then when they get drunk they can pee on their own sidewalks.

That's my cheap as chips approach to solving crime for the day.

It'll also save wear and tear on the bridge and we might actually get 100 years out of it after all.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#29 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:15 AM

Or, better still - just raise the bridge at 10pm and leave it up until sun rise. Then when they get drunk they can pee on their own sidewalks...

Wouldn't this just mean that everyone would use the Bay Street (Pt. Ellice) Bridge? ;)

#30 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:59 AM

Hey now, that would lock me out of Vic West!

I say let Esquimalt have its own PD or select the RCMP. Together with their infrastructure deficit (it hasn't yet reared its ugly head like it has in Victoria, and unlike Oak Bay, few are starting to notice it) tax payers will find excellent value in the choices they make.

Know it all.

#31 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:04 AM

Wouldn't this just mean that everyone would use the Bay Street (Pt. Ellice) Bridge? ;)

We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:00 PM

I say let Esquimalt have its own PD or select the RCMP.

And lay off 14% of our police force? Some how I get the feeling that if Esq. did get its own force or the RCMP, our council would find a way to jack up the police budget to keep anyone from being laid off.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:13 PM

Desjardins said building a new police detachment for the RCMP is not a given.

"Where do the prisoners from Saanich go right now? They go to VicPD," she said. "There's a shared ability around the region."

From today's TC. (I choose not to post links to a paywall now).

"We don't want to be policed by VPD, but we are happy to drop our prisoners off there", is what she is saying. I think Saanich has some form of cells, but they try not to overnight prisoners, as the sheriff's service likes the ease of one pick-up at VPD to deliver people to court every morning.

#34 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 01:24 PM

And lay off 14% of our police force? Some how I get the feeling that if Esq. did get its own force or the RCMP, our council would find a way to jack up the police budget to keep anyone from being laid off.

I hear you. The VicPD would likely put off any new hiring for quite a while should they find themselves kicked out of Esquimalt.

But realistically speaking how long would the VicPD remain in Esquimalt if the decision to replace the force came down tomorrow? There has to be some form of a squeaky clean transition process that surely wouldn't just occur overnight, would it? This would give Victoria some time to plan and budget.

And anybody know how many officers are currently stationed in Esquimalt?

Know it all.

#35 Gipper

Gipper
  • 314 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:28 AM

http://www.ctvvancou...-public-safety/

According to CTV the RCMP proposal was to provide an independent detachment of 35 police officers. This would likely mean an inspector would be made the officer in charge with uniform patrol watches of five or six and small traffic, detective, and community policing/school liaison sections.

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:41 PM

Cfax:

esquimalt must keep newly named victoria and esquimalt police – mayor calls it an “insult” #yyj #cfax read the full story

the joint victoria-esquimalt police force will remain, but with a new name and some adjustments to its decision making processes.

Justice minister shirley bond confirmed that decision today, communicating it to both mayors shortly before discussing it with media.

Bond made this statement on a conference call, "we will be supporting the recommendations of the independent mediator, who is recommending that an amalgamated police department and board structure for policing in victoria and esquimalt is viable and certainly we are going to work very hard with both parties to ensure that, moving forward, we can see a successful amalgamation continue in the future."

bond acknowledged the mayor of esquimalt was "disappointed" when informed of the decision. The minister says one thing that did emerge from the government's review is that esquimalt has valid concerns and this decision does not mean "status quo".

There will be significant changes, with specific timelines attached.
The mayor of esquimalt spoke with cfax 1070 shortly after today's announcement. Barb desjardins calls today's decision by the minister an "insult."

"we're extremely disappointed that the minister of justice has elected to ignore our careful analysis and publicly driving process of our policing panel. Her decision is an insult to the panel’s diligent efforts in finding the right model of policing for...

#37 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:11 PM

Rebranding our police is the stupidest idea to come out of Esquimalt in its history. We just spent thousands updating VicPD's brand and now Kim Jung Barb wants to throw it all away so we can have everything rebranded to Esquimalt & Victoria PD? What the hell?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#38 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

As a rockland resident I'm shocked and disgusted and demand Rockland be added to the new name. I'd also like Craigdarroch castle incorporated into the logo or I will not at all feel that the city is respecting my community's community based desire for community policing in my community. I'm also deeply offended that there is no mention of our first nations in the police department name or logo which is extremely disrespectful. Chinatown needs a mention too. Spare no funds, these are the things that matter in my community.

Community.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#39 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:10 PM

I'd caution you not to overlook the community aspect.

#40 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:21 PM

...we will be supporting the recommendations of the independent mediator, who is recommending that an amalgamated police department and board structure for policing in victoria and esquimalt is viable...

They're really going out on a limb with that recommendation. Adjacent urban municipalities that share the same streets, the same neighbourhoods, and the same downtown... and we're supposed to believe amalgamated policing is viable?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users