Movies!

• Please log in to reply
751 replies to this topic

#321 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 393 posts
  • LocationGreater Victoria

Posted 31 March 2022 - 12:16 PM

Exactly ... I can't believe the number of people who actually have bought into this publicity stunt.

I like your take on Smith going "off script" ... he got a little too far into his Jussie character and "over acted" the part :)

It was definitely a bad outcome.

For those who think it's real, it's still a bad outcome. If real it means jokes will no longer be possible at the Oscars unless it's a target agreed upon before airing (Trump, etc) or a joke considered harmless. My money is on the Oscars appointing someone to this task for all future events.

Watch the ratings fall to BBC Doctor Who levels.

#322 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 393 posts
  • LocationGreater Victoria

Posted 31 March 2022 - 12:19 PM

Anyone get the chance to see the latest Top Gun: Maverick trailer?

https://www.youtube....h?v=giXco2jaZ_4

It looks so damn good.

#323 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,003 posts

Posted 31 March 2022 - 12:24 PM

That’s 100% better than the original trailers.

I think Jon Hamm is a brand new add. It’s unclear if Val Kilmer is in it beyond that photo. He’s in very bad health.

Miles Teller is a good actor.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 March 2022 - 12:30 PM.

#324 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 01 April 2022 - 07:43 AM

Is this another Top Gun movie? Or #2?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#325 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 01 April 2022 - 07:49 AM

Yes. Sequel.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 April 2022 - 07:49 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#326 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 01 April 2022 - 07:53 AM

Is this another Top Gun movie? Or #2?

"Top Gun: Maverick"

I'm quite solidly in the "I don't like Tom Cruise" camp (I think he's the consummate weird-O), but I couldn't help but enjoy Top Gun, The Last Samurai, and I'll probably like Maverick too.

Oh well.

#327 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,172 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 April 2022 - 08:35 AM

That’s 100% better than the original trailers.

I think Jon Hamm is a brand new add. It’s unclear if Val Kilmer is in it beyond that photo. He’s in very bad health.

Miles Teller is a good actor.

Val Kilmer plays a 4 star general in the movie.

#328 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 01 April 2022 - 11:57 AM

I believe he had recovered from throat cancer. Is there something else he’s dealing with now?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#329 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 01 April 2022 - 12:59 PM

I believe he had recovered from throat cancer. Is there something else he’s dealing with now?

Lack of Hollywood good looks.

Kilmer-file-gty-ml-200803_1596456647689_

I just found it odd that his only appearance in the trailer is a nod towards his wall-mounted photo.

The 2019 trailer has Ed Harris talking to Cruise as his superior, in this new one we see Hamm much more.

This movie was ready nearly 2.5 years ago.  So they have had time to make a few changes.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 April 2022 - 01:12 PM.

#330 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 01 April 2022 - 03:40 PM

Will Smith resigns from Academy.

Whatever that means.

Odd people.

#331 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 01 April 2022 - 03:56 PM

Apparently Val Kilmer does appear in Top Gun: Maverick, albeit briefly and perhaps with a bit of CGI added.

That he's in the movie at all is apparently sending Top Gun fans into a frenzy ... this movie franchise definitely has its rabid fans.

The larger issue is that Kilmer's throat cancer has left him unable to speak, and the buzz is that his voice in Maverick will be completely recreated via A.I.

#332 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 01 April 2022 - 05:22 PM

Will Smith resigns from Academy.

Whatever that means.

Odd people.

Had he been expelled, Smith would have joined a small group of men removed from the academy: Harvey Weinstein, Roman Polanski, Bill Cosby and the actor Carmine Caridi, who was kicked out for sharing awards screeners.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...signs-1.6406174

Roman Polanski was convicted of rape in 1977. He fled. It was hardly unknown. In 2003 his film received 3 Academy Awards. Including him for Best Director.

He was not expelled from the Academy until 2018.

What a strange world Hollywood is.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 April 2022 - 05:29 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#333 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 01 April 2022 - 06:11 PM

Ah, that’s why I thought this was a third film. I thought the sequel was released two years ago, but I guess theatres closed down back then.

Know it all.

#334 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 01 April 2022 - 06:15 PM

Yes. Original release date was May 2020.

#335 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 02 April 2022 - 01:42 PM

How Bruce Willis, 67, made 22 'Geezer-Teaser' movies over three years for 'churn factory' and paid handler turned 'producer' $200,000 a film to 'keep an eye' on him even as he showed signs of cognitive decline

Willis was often accompanied on the set by an entrouge, and his longtime assistant Stephen J. Eads was paid up to $200,000 a film to shepherd him around. On the set of Open Source, small time actor Adam Huel Potter earned up to $4,150 a week to read Willis' lines to him through an earpiece.

Many of these films were the brainchild of churn factory producer Randall Emmett, known to many as the ex-boyfriend of Vanderpump Rules star Lala Kent. Emmett has at least 20 credits on late era Willis movies.

Emmett, 50, has produced more than 110 movies, which have grossed in excess of $1.2 billion. His films have starred the likes of Willis, Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Denzel Washington, Mark Wahlberg, Nicolas Cage and Michael Douglas.

Perhaps infamously, Emmett is best known as Wahlberg's former personal assistant and the inspiration for the character Turtle on the Wahlberg-produced HBO series Entourage.

https://www.dailymai...rn-factory.html

0E869C68-867D-43C9-8159-7D4258A3E370.jpeg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 April 2022 - 01:44 PM.

#336 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 02 April 2022 - 03:03 PM

Ok, that last paragraph was the best.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#337 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 02:57 PM

Reviews are coming in. All good.

Top Gun: Maverick: Tom Cruise makes an absurdly exciting return to the skies

5/5

Thrilling, moving and gloriously Cruisey, Joseph Kosinski's sequel to the 1986 hit is unquestionably the best studio action film in years

https://www.telegrap...xciting-return/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 May 2022 - 02:57 PM.

#338 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 10:06 AM

Reviews are coming in. All good.

Top Gun: Maverick: Tom Cruise makes an absurdly exciting return to the skies

5/5

Thrilling, moving and gloriously Cruisey, Joseph Kosinski's sequel to the 1986 hit is unquestionably the best studio action film in years

https://www.telegrap...xciting-return/

For $25 you can go see it at Silver City IMAX one day early (next Wednesday).  Or wait a day and IMAX is $20.

97% positive now at Rotten Tomatoes.

Here is a negative one:

Directed by Joseph Kosinski

Culture Representation: Taking place in California, the action film “Top Gun: Maverick” features a cast of predominantly white characters (with some African Americans and Latinos) representing the working-class and middle-class.

https://culturemixon...ing-tom-cruise/

“Top Gun: Maverick” is an uninspired, outdated retread of 1986’s “Top Gun,” but with more implausible scenarios and with no women in military leadership positions. Even the original songs in this sequel are forgettable. While “Top Gun: Maverick” has more racial diversity than the first “Top Gun” movie, the people of color in the movie are still relegated to “sidekick” and forgettable roles. “Top Gun: Maverick” makes the same mistake that a lot of sequels do: Copying the same plot as the first movie without improving it.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 May 2022 - 10:07 AM.

#339 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 10:16 AM

How much will I be paid to never see it?

#340 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,082 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 01:03 PM

Exactly ... I can't believe the number of people who actually have bought into this publicity stunt.

I like your take on Smith going "off script" ... he got a little too far into his Jussie character and "over acted" the part :)

I'm glad you don't buy all the BS they try and sell  :banana:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users