Photo

Greater Victoria Public Library and south Island libraries

• Please log in to reply
672 replies to this topic

#421 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 01:51 PM

Is what I have noticed that is quite clear is the the GVPL is very much intentionally down sizing their branch's square footage every time they open a "new" location.

I think this is because they are wanting to focus on a more Digital and Online entity, then a traditional library.  Even now the only time I take anything out from a library I do it online, put a hold on the item, then go and pick up from a shelf. That's the only way I have been doing it for years now.

#422 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 10:21 PM

Is what I have noticed that is quite clear is the the GVPL is very much intentionally down sizing their branch's square footage every time they open a "new" location.

I think this is because they are wanting to focus on a more Digital and Online entity, then a traditional library.  Even now the only time I take anything out from a library I do it online, put a hold on the item, then go and pick up from a shelf. That's the only way I have been doing it for years now.

i think many use these new smaller libraries mostly as a pick up (place holds online) and drop off place, a place to use the internet, and as a bit of a community space (many offer kids programs)..  and less as a main hub library to wander and look at all the books..

#423 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 10:00 AM

Vancouver Island Regional Library removes significant barrier to give more children access to our important literacy resources

Note: the VIRL has branches in Sooke and Sidney and is not part of the Greater Victoria Public Library.

As of January 1, 2019, all fines on children’s materials have been eliminated, and all outstanding fines waived.

“This simple solution is a wonderful response to a demonstrated community need,” says VIRL’s Executive Director, Rosemary Bonanno. “By eliminating children’s fines, we are helping to ensure that library services are available to some of our customers who need them most. After all, children should not be faulted or punished for overdue library items — instead, they should have barriers to access removed so they can grow and learn without limitations.”

The VIRL Board of Trustees unanimously passed the motion to eliminate children’s fines at their final meeting of 2018. 

“For some families, library fines can mean the difference between being able to access library materials or not,” says Director of Library Services and Planning, Melissa Legacy. “With this initiative, we’re committing to giving all kids an equal opportunity to access and benefit from the wonderful literacy resources we offer. The elimination of children’s fines will open new doors of discovery for kids and families across our service area.” 

VIRL is celebrating this important milestone during Family Literacy Week (Sunday, January 20 – Sunday, January 27), an annual celebration at VIRL that highlights families and children reading together at branches across our library system.

Find out more about all the amazing literacy-based events happening during Family Literacy Week, and every week. 

Kids and families are encouraged to visit their branch today to start checking out fine-free children’s materials!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#424 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:47 PM

sounds like it encourages delinquent parents. if there is no fine can I just keep the stuff forever? that’s even cheaper than amazon.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 January 2019 - 01:49 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#425 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:50 PM

Eliminating fines will teach children the valuable lesson that there are no consequences to their bad actions.  <_<

#426 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:52 PM

At what point is the cut-off too? It just says "children's materials" so could an 50 year old check out a Bob the Builder DVD and sell it at a pawn shop?

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#427 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:54 PM

i presume the missing part of the story is that your borrowing privileges are cut until you return items even if there is no fine.

#428 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:55 PM

i presume the missing part of the story is that your borrowing privileges are cut until you return items even if there is no fine.

Doesn't that go against this "principle"?

"With this initiative, we’re committing to giving all kids an equal opportunity to access and benefit from the wonderful literacy resources we offer"

#429 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:59 PM

well if it’s not you might as well not bother “checking out” kids stuff just let people walk out with it.

#430 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 03:02 PM

I'm pretty sure at some point if you havent returned an item you are charged a replacement fee.  It's not a fine, and it is reimbursed if you do return it within x days after paying the fee.  So it's not better than amazon aka free books forever, just if you're late a week with the 50 books you took out for your kids you won't pay $20 like I seem to do every month in library fines for kids books.  I find it takes a fair bit of effort to ensure I'm not late and despite that I'm still late very often with kids books and because of the volumes of books my kids read, it is costly.  I can afford it but I'm sure there are others who instead forgo future borrowing rather than pay the fines, if not just temporarily, which negatively impacts the kids.  So I can understand the policy decision for this.

#431 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 03:13 PM

We always have a bunch of library books around the house and yeah, sometimes you are late and you get dinged. I can imagine with everything else going on in a household with kids it’s easy to forget to bring the books back by a specific date.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#432 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 03:17 PM

We always have a bunch of library books around the house and yeah, sometimes you are late and you get dinged. I can imagine with everything else going on in a household with kids it’s easy to forget to bring the books back by a specific date.

The worst part is finding them all.  In and under every bed, under couches, in the car.  It's a 15 minute job minimum.

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#433 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 03:36 PM

I'm pretty sure at some point if you havent returned an item you are charged a replacement fee.  It's not a fine, and it is reimbursed if you do return it within x days after paying the fee.  So it's not better than amazon aka free books forever, just if you're late a week with the 50 books you took out for your kids you won't pay $20 like I seem to do every month in library fines for kids books.  I find it takes a fair bit of effort to ensure I'm not late and despite that I'm still late very often with kids books and because of the volumes of books my kids read, it is costly.  I can afford it but I'm sure there are others who instead forgo future borrowing rather than pay the fines, if not just temporarily, which negatively impacts the kids.  So I can understand the policy decision for this.

If they keep that in place that makes sense. 

#434 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 11:31 PM

i donno how i feel about this.. the fines on childrens books are lower then the fines on everything else.. and no one is prevented from accessing the library.. the library is there for everyone, if a person has too many fines then they are just prevented from taking books out, they can still use the library..

on one side i think it can be a good thing because childrens books are a pain in the butt lol if you've ever had a child and use the library regularly (taking out lots of kids books) you know they can get everywhere, they can easily get lost under couches and in bedrooms mixed up with other books..

but on the flip side what is the push to get people to return the books.. you can always renew the books online if you can't find them at home (you can renew twice i think online and if your still having troubles finding them you can call and they will renew them again for you buying you 20+ days every renew period) i would be concerned over books not coming back as often (also would this include other kid based materials like the dvds?) will they instill something that states after X amount of days overdue would the account then have a replacement charge?

#435 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 04:23 AM

their lengthy statement on the policy does not answer any further questions.

http://virl.bc.ca/ge...borrowing-tips/

#436 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 07:03 PM

2019 GVPL per-capita budget:

Central Saanich | $54.52
Colwood | $45.85 ⬇️
Esquimalt | $54.06
Highlands | $49.60
Langford | $48.23
Metchosin | $47.85

North Saanich*
Oak Bay | $63.77 ⬆️
Saanich | $51.03
Sidney*
Sooke*
Victoria | $57.60
View Royal | $49.12
Average | $54.08

*Sooke, Sidney and North Saanich regional branches are operated by the Vancouver Island Regional Library.

Know it all.

#437 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 07:14 PM

I'd rather $50 store credit to a book store

#438 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 07:19 PM

I'd rather $50 store credit to a book store

Which might allow you to purchase one, new release, hardcover novel and maybe a bookmark. For $57.60, CoV residents can borrow nearly unlimited library resources for an entire year. The latter seems like a pretty good deal to me.

• Redd42 and lanforod like this

#439 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 07:24 PM

^He doesn't care to hear your opinion, peasant.

• Nparker and jonny like this

#440 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 08:45 AM

I regularly have twenty to thirty items checked out of the library. To me that's a very good deal. I must check out hundreds of items every year.

• jasmineshinga likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users