Greater Victoria Public Library and south Island libraries

• Please log in to reply
672 replies to this topic

#641 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 02:43 PM

Anyways, I'm sorry for coming off a little brash here, Cats. Sometimes over text we don't get our points across like we would face-to-face.

I'd like our journalists to add more context to the stories they write.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#642 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 02 November 2022 - 11:44 AM

screenshot-twitter.com-2022.11.02-15_43_28.png

https://twitter.com/...864579077726209

screenshot-twitter.com-2022.11.02-15_43_47.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 November 2022 - 11:44 AM.

• max.bravo likes this

#643 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,768 posts

Posted 02 November 2022 - 12:36 PM

I love that last comment.  :lol:

#644 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 02 November 2022 - 12:39 PM

Places close all the time for staff events, don’t they? We close one day a year for a staff party.

#645 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,768 posts

Posted 02 November 2022 - 12:51 PM

Places close all the time for staff events, don’t they? We close one day a year for a staff party.

Does your business rely entirely on taxpayer funding to operate?

#646 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 02 November 2022 - 12:52 PM

^with all the covid subsidies and TFWs Matt leveraged, maybe... :D

• Mike K., Matt R., Barrrister and 1 other like this

#647 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 02 November 2022 - 01:13 PM

Does your business rely entirely on taxpayer funding to operate?

The twitter guys said “ever notice how restaurants don’t do this”.

#648 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 02 November 2022 - 01:13 PM

^with all the covid subsidies and TFWs Matt leveraged, maybe... :D

It’s a beautiful thing.

#649 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 11:50 AM

Sooke, Sidney libraries waive all late fees permanently

Vancouver Island Regional Library (VIRL) is officially fine free in 2023. As of January 1, VIRL has permanently removed late fees on all adult materials, after previously waiving fines on young adult and children’s items.

“This decision from our Board means more families will have access to reading and educational materials, more seniors will be able to connect with their libraries, and no one will suffer the indignity and embarrassment of punitive fines restricting their ability to read, watch, and listen to the 750,000 physical items in our collection,” says Ben Hyman, VIRL’s Executive Director. “I would like to thank staff for their advocacy and vision to make our system fine free, and our Board for supporting this values-aligned outcome.”

At the onset of the pandemic in March 2020, late fees on young adult and adult materials were suspended in response to COVID-related restrictions. At the September 25, 2021 Board meeting, the Board approved the permanent removal of young adult fines and a one-year moratorium on adult fines. Then, at the September 24, 2022 Board meeting, as part of the 2023 – 2026 budget, the Board approved the permanent removal of fines on all adult materials, starting in 2023.

On average there are approximately 150,000 physical items checked out across VIRL’s system at any one time. Data collected by VIRL indicates that two thirds of those items will be returned before the 21-day loan period is up, and 98% will be returned before 120 days. To help encourage borrowers to return their items on time, several reminders are sent in the lead up to and after the due date. After 120 days, VIRL will charge the replacement cost to recoup the cost of the item.

Anyone with existing fines has also had them removed from their account as part of this change. In 2019, the Board permanently removed late fees on all children’s materials.

Due dates and late returns are not an issue with digital materials, which now constitute one third of the items borrowed by local residents.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#650 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,768 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 12:05 PM

...As of January 1, VIRL has permanently removed late fees on all adult materials...

So they're saying I never have to return my XXX DVDs?

#651 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 12:07 PM

How bold.

#652 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 12:08 PM

“This decision from our Board means more families will have access to reading and educational materials, even if they are deadbeats and irresponsible, more seniors will be able to connect with their libraries, and no one will suffer the indignity and embarrassment of punitive fines restricting their ability to read, watch, and listen to the 750,000 physical items in our collection,” says Ben Hyman, VIRL’s Executive Director. “I would like to thank staff for their advocacy and vision to make our system fine free, and our Board for supporting this values-aligned outcome.”

Such vision.

Lame.

#653 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,768 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 12:26 PM

"values-aligned outcome"  :whyme: 

• LJ and Matt R. like this

#654 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 12:29 PM

It WILL have an impact on the prompt availability of titles, and the integrity and reliability of the reservation system. Was that not a consideration?

#655 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 08:57 AM

DA2817E6-E4A0-4623-8B0B-38DA36854EA0.jpeg

2BCA8CA5-44D6-406B-8C10-23B046393184.jpeg

#656 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 09:09 AM

When the copyright on a work expires anyone is free to use it without needing to seek permission. This is known as public domain. In Canada, copyright laws meant that books, films, songs or other works entered public domain 50 years after the death of the creator.

But last week, the country updated those laws, tacking on an extra 20 years, so works don't enter the public domain until 70 years after the creator's death.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...pause-1.6706498

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 January 2023 - 09:09 AM.

#657 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 10:35 AM

It WILL have an impact on the prompt availability of titles, and the integrity and reliability of the reservation system. Was that not a consideration?

I would have to think that the number of books being loaned these days has gone way down. I am sure that there are a few popular titles that the library would like to see returned ASAP and that most people will continue to do that but as long as we get paid for the value of the book after 120 days then I am ok with the policy. What the article doesn't say of course is what % of people pay and if you are prevented from further loans if you have an outstanding balance.

Edited by spanky123, 08 January 2023 - 10:35 AM.

#658 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 08:46 AM

Overdue book fine is not an indignity

Re: “Vancouver Island Regional Library eliminates all fines,” Jan. 8.

Maybe it’s just me. But why does the executive director of the Vancouver Island Regional Library feel the need to resort to hyperbolic verbal calisthenics when explaining the VIRL’s decision to eliminate all fines?

He states “no one will suffer the indignity and embarrassment of punitive fines restricting their ability to read.” “Indignity and embarrassment,” “punitive fines” — I mean, really? And previously, announcing the elimination of fines for young-adult materials in 2021, he stated: “Our board of trustees is demonstrating progressive governance and prioritizing literacy and opportunity over punitive fines.” “Demonstrating progressive governance” and “prioritizing literacy” — huh?

I suggest the imposition of a 10-cent daily charge for keeping books beyond their 21-day loan period has little if anything to do with being punitive. And, after all, one can renew. And the library reminds borrowers of their due dates, does it not? Given the significant benefits provided by libraries, is a minuscule charge for overdue books unreasonable — seriously?

And I suggest whatever the library board may be demonstrating has little to do with “governance.” But much to do with paying dutiful homage to a woke ideology. So, please, spare us the rampant hyperbole and puffery.

In life, there are consequences for lateness: if you are late in getting to the bus stop, you’ll spend time waiting until the next one; if you are late with a payment, you’ll incur extra charges. Ten cents a day (30 cents for adult materials) is not at all punitive.

Asking a borrower to pay a minuscule amount for an overdue book is not at all an indignity.

But maybe it’s just me.

Gordon Zawaski

Parksville

https://www.timescol...d-birds-6361708

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 January 2023 - 08:47 AM.

• Nparker and lanforod like this

#659 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 08:37 AM

It’s 2023. And people are upset Disney’s version of Bambi had too simple of a plot, and wasn’t violent enough, compared to the book it was based on.

Zipes is not alone in this assessment of Disney's adaptation. A multitude of scholars and critics have noted how the 110-minute film stripped away many supporting characters, subplots and grim situations to create a production suitable for all ages.

"While the film has moments of charm and beauty, it dilutes the violence and tension of Salten's novella," Charlie Tyson wrote for the Yale Review.

- https://www.cbc.ca/r...ation-1.6719849

It’s a children’s movie, for God’s sake. You should not be watching it as an adult and complaining it’s not authentic enough because it lacks complex sub plots and characters and violence.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#660 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,768 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 08:43 AM

Audiences have been charmed by Bambi for 80 years. Only in today's ****ed up world would anyone suggest it's anything less than a classic.  :whyme:

• LJ and Victoria Watcher like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users