Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5613 replies to this topic

#4161 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,322 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:42 AM

I know in oak bay you can get around the no parking in parks after hours by putting a boat trailer on the back your car and stating your boat is “at sea”.

so park in windsor park with your empty trailer and say your boat's at sea?

#4162 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:47 AM

so park in windsor park with your empty trailer and say your boat's at sea?

Yes: https://www.oakbay.c...ONSOLIDATED.pdf

#4163 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:50 AM

^Oh but apparently it only applies to men.

“while his boat”

#4164 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 October 2019 - 10:06 PM

it's no secret some vehicles park there overnight to sleep/camp/be homeless.

Damn sight less costly than a hotel, for people trying to travel on the cheap.

#4165 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:55 AM

From Colwood:

The City of Colwood has installed new signs along Esquimalt Lagoon that state "No Parking between one hour after dusk to dawn."

I was there until 8:40 last night - lots of cars parked there, no disturbances.  Looks like most/all of the RVs have gone.  Bit sad when you consider those owners often can't afford camp fees.

From the Colwood website:

Not an overnight destination
Please note: Overnight parking is not permitted along the Colwood waterfront (one hour after dusk to dawn). There are several camping areas on the West Shore, including Goldstream Campground, Fort Victoria RV Park and All Fun RV Park.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4166 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:57 AM

Oh and still no email from any Councillors. 

Interesting that this hasn't been posted to their Facebook or Twitter feeds - I suspect they were anticipating a backlash.

Do we know why they made this change?  

I'm sorry, this one really irks me.  There's no reason to prohibit parking from what's effectively 6:00pm onward in the winter.  Sometimes I like to head out there at 10pm or later for some peace and quite - god forbid I actually get that at home.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#4167 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:11 AM

Still dont understand the logic behind not being able to park your car there at night? Its a public road. I have the same arguments with OB and parking at Cattle Point...gone there a few times to stargaze and invariably get OBPD driving along with their spotlight shining in every car 

#4168 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,322 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:33 AM

Still dont understand the logic behind not being able to park your car there at night? Its a public road. 

well some people that live in their cars down there will use the exterior of the car for the bathroom.  and/or garbage dumping.  that's one theory against.  

oak bay police at cattle point might that just not be being proactive looking for people drinking or doing drugs in the family car?

#4169 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:35 AM

It's bonkers.  Public parks should be open to the public 24/7.  Patrol for nefarious activities, leave the quite law-abiding visitors alone.  I could maybe understand 11pm, but even that seems arbitrary.  Were the people camping there in their RVs causing damage or disturbance? It's not like it's an overly appealing place to 'RV' - no services are available there so it's not like it was a complete free-for-all.

Sitting in my car at 11pm by myself sipping on tea isn't hurting anyone.  Heaven forbid someone want to walk their dog there at 6:00pm in February.

#4170 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:38 AM

well some people that live in their cars down there will use the exterior of the car for the bathroom.  and/or garbage dumping.  that's one theory against.  

Colwood installed porta-potties at the Lagoon.  They open it to events during the summer, they're promoted the area fairly heavily over the last few years. And then they say 'don't visit during normal hours'

Sure, there's lots of garbage cans that might be getting abused, but I see people empty bags from their cars into them during the day all the time.

#4171 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:46 AM

oak bay police at cattle point might that just not be being proactive looking for people drinking or doing drugs in the family car?

Cattle Point is a designated Dark Sky Urban Star Park.

Yeah I’ve seen the Cattle Point spotlight technique before seems a little nuts.

#4172 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:31 AM

^That being said the illegal dumping at cattle point is pretty nuts too. I’m not sure a lot of these illegal activities aren’t going on in the daytime too.

#4173 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:20 AM

One time at cattle point was lurking in the darkness saw the police department light up a car with about the most lumens I’ve ever seen then just stay there for about four or five minutes behind the car the car eventually start up and start to pull out police car pulls back to allow them to do that they both continue out of the park together. I thought it was hilarious but at the same time also not appropriate policing.

#4174 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:29 AM

One time at cattle point was lurking in the darkness saw the police department light up a car with about the most lumens I’ve ever seen then just stay there for about four or five minutes behind the car the car eventually start up and start to pull out police car pulls back to allow them to do that they both continue out of the park together. I thought it was hilarious but at the same time also not appropriate policing.

Whaddya wanna bet it was just a couple of kids making out in the back seat...

#4175 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:34 AM

Whaddya wanna bet it was just a couple of kids making out in the back seat...

Look as long as you have window tinting I don’t care.

#4176 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:37 AM

One time at cattle point was lurking in the darkness saw the police department light up a car with about the most lumens I’ve ever seen then just stay there for about four or five minutes behind the car 

Isn't that when you just adjust your mirrors to shine the light back at them? 

• todd likes this

#4177 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:44 AM

Maybe we can just spayvac the teenagers?
  • Nparker likes this

#4178 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:47 AM

^ come to think of it if they could shine the light on some of the deer?

#4179 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 October 2019 - 11:37 AM

Very well written, Sebbery! Please keep us update on your correspondence.

Still nothing from them.

#4180 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 October 2019 - 09:08 AM

Still nothing from them.

No reply from Colwood council.  I sent a follow-up email this morning.

My observations are that people are being left alone and little/no enforcement is taking place before 10-11pm.  

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users