Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#4181 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 October 2019 - 05:25 PM

https://www.cheknews...ictoria-617168/

Since 1987, the Union of BC Municipalities has administered the Commercial Vehicle Licensing program which offers commercial parking permits to drivers across the province. The stickers cost between $25 to $40 a year and allow drivers of commercial vehicles to park in commercial parking zones.

According to the UBCM, the program required significant administration without financial payoff.

With the UBCM no longer administering the program, Victoria staff is recommending council tweak its commercial parking rules as well as increase the cost of a parking permit from $100 to $300 a year depending on the vehicle size.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4182 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 05:43 PM

It's shameful how the CoV is taking advantage of this latest off-loading by the Province.

• todd likes this

#4183 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 08:45 PM

It's shameful how the CoV is taking advantage of this latest off-loading by the Province.

UBCM is the Union of BC Municipalities. It is not the province. The clue is the name.

#4184 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 October 2019 - 06:59 AM

No reply from Colwood council.  I sent a follow-up email this morning.

My observations are that people are being left alone and little/no enforcement is taking place before 10-11pm.  

Councillor Rob Martin responded stating that staff have been asked to bring my letter to the council table for discussion.

Councillor Cynthia Day responded believing discretion can be used in enforcement, but they're concerned about issues raised by many about safety, security and the well being of the lagoon.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4185 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 11:04 AM

UBCM is the Union of BC Municipalities. It is not the province. The clue is the name.

Shame on the COV and the NP.

#4186 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 11:42 AM

In fact shame on all of you I don’t know why but you do.

#4187 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 03:00 PM

I am well aware that the UBCM is no more a provincial government entity than the GVCC is a department of the City of Victoria . I should not have capitalized "province" above. Regardless of who previously administered the commercial parking program, Victoria is clearly taking advantage of the situation as a cash grab.

• sdwright.vic, todd, Love the rock and 1 other like this

#4188 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 09:54 AM

I am well aware that the UBCM is no more a provincial government entity than the GVCC is a department of the City of Victoria . I should not have capitalized "province" above. Regardless of who previously administered the commercial parking program, Victoria is clearly taking advantage of the situation as a cash grab.

The cash grab comment is interesting but that is how this was reported.  It is a reflex people have when there is an increase in rates.  This program has really been failing for a few years now.  The price of these permits hasn't increased for around 20 years.  I think it was artificially low.  The intent of those loading zones is for large trucks making deliveries.  What has ended up happening is that any one with a truck would get a decal for $25-30 and really abuse the intention of a loading zone and want to treat it as a 30 minute parking zone.  These days the big delivery drivers are finding it increasingly more difficult finding these zones available due to smaller vehicles, that fit in any metered space, blocking them out.  These trucks then will double park to get their work done rather than try to circle the block.  As you can imagine this creates extra congestion, potential safety issues, emissions and possibly driver frustration. 

The drivers of these larger trucks will find this program much easier as the smaller vehicles will no longer be in these zones.  They will receive fewer parking tickets (likely saving more than the cost of the permit), get out of town faster and in general should improve their day.

I guess I'd like to see the annual expenses for these trucks and measure what the $1/day will add to that, I guess it would be $1/day :) . 

• tedward likes this

#4189 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 09:57 AM

Not sure that's the most unbiased take on the situation.

#4190 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 10:13 AM

I think $300 a year is a bargain to park a huge commercial truck at Downtown's prime parking locations.

• Coreyburger, tedward, shoeflack and 1 other like this

#4191 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 10:18 AM

I dunno...seems to me that these rates should be increased regularly. When they aren't, we get a situation like this where you need a major one-time increase to bring it more in line with reality, which causes more complaints.

I see no issue with this whatsoever. Less than a dollar per day to park in those spaces...quite a steal.

• m3m likes this

#4192 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 10:32 AM

I think there will be a size limit in this parking spaces as well, further making the case for only the largest vehicles to have these zones available.

This is a good move.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4193 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 12:02 PM

Not sure that's the most unbiased take on the situation.

My only bias is for the process to be better than it was in the past.  The article didn't really explain the program only focused on the $$ for some reason.  The revenue from the permits will only be about 10-12% or what the revenue would be if those were just parking meters.  It's still a very reasonable rate.

#4194 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:02 PM

On November 9th 2019, Oak Bay Police were patrolling the area of Cattle Point Park when they observed a vehicle parked in the lot contrary to the parking bylaw. The vehicle was checked and found to have expired insurance. Vehicle was towed from the area and the registered owner advised. Police would like to remind the public that there is no parking at cattle point area between the hours of midnight and 0600 hours

http://oakbaypolice....impression=true

#4195 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:54 PM

^That vehicle owner was easily responsible for at least three fentanyl-related deaths.

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#4196 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:54 AM

It's been a half-decade since parking rates rose in the City of Victoria.

This morning the Mayor was on CFAX talking up parking revenues, and 'free' youth bus passes.

This won't end well for individuals who need to drive in to the downtown core, or those who live downtown and rely on street-side parking for their vehicle.

Over the near-term expect more 1-2hr free parking zones to be replaced with meters and I wouldn't be surprised if 2020 saw a parking rate adjustment across the whole network.

• rjag likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4197 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:58 AM

yup and add increased times ie 8AM to 8 or 9PM x 7 days

Seriously done with these idiots. So many of my meetings have now moved to Saanich, OB & Langford. 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#4198 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:17 PM

It's been a half-decade since parking rates rose in the City of Victoria.

This morning the Mayor was on CFAX talking up parking revenues, and 'free' youth bus passes.

This won't end well for individuals who need to drive in to the downtown core, or those who live downtown and rely on street-side parking for their vehicle.

Over the near-term expect more 1-2hr free parking zones to be replaced with meters and I wouldn't be surprised if 2020 saw a parking rate adjustment across the whole network.

Gotta pay for that pay raise they want somehow, right?

#4199 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 03:38 PM

yup and add increased times ie 8AM to 8 or 9PM x 7 days

Seriously done with these idiots. So many of my meetings have now moved to Saanich, OB & Langford. 

Did you just call me an idiot?  Hmmm...  In my time at City Hall rates have never been increased because "we need a raise", parking rates are placed to ensure turnover.  For everyone who says downtown is dying etc. then on the other hand they say parking is hard to find.  Yes there may be an increase soon but it's not based on a requirement to increase revenues (which $8+M is used to directly reduce property taxes).  The remainder goes to a parking reserve fund.

As Mike points out there hasn't been a rate change since September 2014.  I say rate change rather than increase because while the rate did increase at about 840 spaces the rate decreased in about 2,600 spaces if we include the Parkades.  Yes reduced and many time limits also increased from a City wide 90 minute max to 2,3,4 and all day metered areas.  Again rates should increase based on capacity levels and yes streets are quite busy so we might have to look at some tweaking.  Mike don't you complain about having a hard time to find a space?  Maybe the rates are a little low.

Now where limited time zones are changing to metered spaces.  This is happening, again for better use of some streets and to reduce congestion in others.  Some streets are not used very often due to short 1 hour time limits.  A small rate with extended time periods improves use of these blocks and offers commuters space to store their vehicles (remember the huge shortage in commuter parking?).  Other areas like the recent change on 1900 Government from 2 hour limits to a small rate ($1.50/hr) will help with turnover rather than commuters moving their vehicles every two hours to other blocks creating congestion and emissions and really not sure how employers want their folks leaving every two hours but not for me to decide I suppose, as an idiot anyway.  More additions of paid parking coming is quite likely to ensure a better use of those blocks.

Thanks for the 8 or 9pm idea though, but I think just a tweak to 7pm might be fine.  Parkades will still be free after 6pm however in case you have an evening meeting.

• shoeflack likes this

#4200 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,831 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 03:41 PM

meters on other streets seems fine to me.  

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users