Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#4221 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 19 December 2019 - 01:31 PM

The streets belong to everyone, so everyone should have the same rights to park on them where parking space is available - which is why I get annoyed when I see "Residential Parking Only" signs all over the place.

You don't own the street you live on.

They exist where residents asked for them.  There is a process for getting these created and abolished

#4222 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 December 2019 - 01:36 PM

They exist where residents asked for them.  There is a process for getting these created and abolished

Interesting.  So does the 'RPO' designation of a road in front of a house impact its assessment or taxes then?

Welcome back Bernard!

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4223 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 December 2019 - 11:52 PM

Residents shouldn't be able to ask for them, is my point.

Many times it seems when a street is signed as residential parking only, the houses on that street have no driveways or garages even though the lots those houses are on are more than big enough to allow such.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#4224 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 20 December 2019 - 09:38 AM

The process requires 

Interesting.  So does the 'RPO' designation of a road in front of a house impact its assessment or taxes then?

Welcome back Bernard!

Not sure if it will directly change the assessment and only happen over time of the value of the houses sold rises

Here is the wording from the City website (it is not easy to find):

1. I would like to change the parking on my street to residential only. How do I go about submitting this request?

Residential Parking Only (RPO) zones were created to protect residential streets bordering on heavy commercial areas from becoming congested with all day parking, (e.g. employee vehicles). A resident or visitor of any property abutting the residential parking zone, may park anywhere on the block within that zone. Residential Parking Only zones are only suitable on single family / duplex frontages.

Any resident may submit a request for a change to Residential Parking Only (RPO) through CityApp or using the City’s on-on-line request form. City staff will provide the resident with the attached petition form which requires canvassing of ninety percent (90%) of the block, with eighty percent (80%) approval. Upon receipt of the completed petition, staff visit the site to complete parking counts at various times of the day between 8 a.m.-10 p.m. to determine the average on-street parking occupancy.

RPO Petition Form.pdf [PDF - 23 KB]

If the average occupancy is greater than 50%, then RPO is considered warranted (there is likely a nearby retail or employment destination that is using the on-street parking to the point that it is unavailable for residents), and if less than 50%, then RPO is considered not warranted (resident should be able to find on-street parking within a reasonable timeframe). Once the review is complete, staff advise the person who submitted the request of the result, and any required signage changes are implemented.

#4225 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,878 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 12:52 PM

Parking tickets are flowing as free parking at Burnside Plaza came to an end in early December.

Locals in the Tillicum-Gorge should note the change to parking at the parking lot sandwiched between Tillicum Road and Burnside Road West, across from the entrance to Tillicum Mall.

https://www.vicnews....lot-in-saanich/

not sure if this is westpark's first victoria operation.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 December 2019 - 12:53 PM.

#4226 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 December 2019 - 01:07 PM

I wonder how the businesses there feel about that.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4227 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,878 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 01:15 PM

if you were smart/concerned about it you'd have something in your lease saying the parking is to remain free.  maybe there is something at play here to force/pressure out some tenants. 

the one sign in the article is not a permanent fixture. 

19967463_web1_191230-SNE-PayParkingBurns

and maybe robbins said "ya we are not interested in that game" so it's another operator.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 December 2019 - 01:19 PM.

#4228 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 30 December 2019 - 01:18 PM

The problem is that the little strip mall has fairly limited parking on their property - only 2 to 4 cars per store front (though there is a larger parking area on the eastern edge of the property but no one has ever used it)   For years people parked on the Bingo hall parking lot to go to Mr Tubbs, Marble Arch Fish and Chips, Skyhaven etc....   Now that it is a pay parking lot is a bit of a surprise for people in the area.

The yellow barriers seen in the picture are the property line, the spots to the north of the barriers belong to the strip mall

Edited by Bernard, 30 December 2019 - 01:20 PM.

#4229 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 09:33 AM

Parking tickets are flowing as free parking at Burnside Plaza came to an end in early December.

Locals in the Tillicum-Gorge should note the change to parking at the parking lot sandwiched between Tillicum Road and Burnside Road West, across from the entrance to Tillicum Mall.

I did see this over the weekend and surprised me a little.

It might be that this lot has become a little bit of a 'Park and Ride' for commuters.  That's the only reason I could see why this has happened.  The lot may be filling in the a.m. 

WestPark is out of Vancouver.  They have been in Victoria for about a year and a half.  They won the contract for the Province and operate those parking lots.  I believe they have one or two other private lots in Victoria by now as well as this one.  The property has more value than being a strip mall at this point.

#4230 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 09:40 AM

Now those vehicles will shift over to the mall, where we might see stepped up enforcement. Aren’t malls limited to something like 3-4 hours?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4231 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,878 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 12:20 PM

Park It, Trucks: Here Come New York’s Cargo Bikes

New York will allow Amazon, DHL and UPS to park cargo bikes in commercial loading zones as a way to get some trucks off the city’s gridlocked streets.

https://www.nytimes....s-delivery.html

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 January 2020 - 12:21 PM.

#4232 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 02 January 2020 - 10:22 AM

The plaza is odd in that it's two separate properties. Burnside Plaza (where the business are) still has free parking. The old bingo hall now has pay parking. Also note that the bingo hall property is up for redevelopment, as per this thread, which is probably why the signage appears temporary.

#4233 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 10:42 AM

Might be different now, but it used to be that you couldn’t even drive from one parking lot to the other. Weird property indeed, but the business side has some gems in it. :)

Matt.

#4234 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 02 January 2020 - 01:01 PM

Might be different now, but it used to be that you couldn’t even drive from one parking lot to the other. Weird property indeed, but the business side has some gems in it. :)

Matt.

The lots are a bit more connected now but there is a still no access at the lights on Burnside to the parking sports in front of the strip mall

#4235 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,878 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 06:35 PM

Dallas Road is not an RV park: Residents fed up with overnight parking

Mayor says lack of affordable housing, high cost of living the real issue

https://www.vicnews....rnight-parking/

Jasper Sunshine told Black Press Media he’s been living in a camperized cube van on Dallas Road for two weeks. A Canadian military veteran, he lives in the van both for the lifestyle and affordability – in fact, he said he would be homeless without it.

Still, Sunshine understands the frustration from house-dwelling residents.

“I totally get it,” he said. “If I had a house with an oceanfront view – or a house anywhere – and I was paying a mortgage and I saw degenerates living in a van … I’d be pissed too.”

But Sunshine claims that for many living the camper van lifestyle, keeping the park clean is a priority since, “the outdoors is kind of our home.”

“We’re a lot more environmentally friendly than the average person,” he said. “Most of us are ‘quote unquote hippies.’”

Sunshine said he hasn’t seen any bylaw officers in the two weeks he’s been camping on Dallas.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 January 2020 - 07:01 PM.

#4236 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,878 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 07:02 PM

full marks to the converted/stealth cube van guy.  that's a cool ride.  

also.  get a job.  you freeloader.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 January 2020 - 07:05 PM.

• todd likes this

#4237 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 07:45 PM

And in true Trumpian style, if it doesn't fit Her Worseship's agenda, she simply dismisses the concerns of her constituents. I'm a little surprised she didn't claim the Dallas Road situation is fake news.

• rmpeers likes this

#4238 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 09:24 PM

Sunshine understands the frustration from house-dwelling residents.

"I totally get it," he said. "If I had a house with an oceanfront view – or a house anywhere – and I was paying a mortgage and I saw degenerates living in a van … I’d be pissed too."

A lack of oceanfront view homes might be the real real issue?

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#4239 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,878 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 06:51 AM

surprise surprise. sunshine has no job.

He said he is an eight-year army veteran dealing with post-traumatic stress disorder and living on a government pension. But he knows many who have jobs.

He said the van life is driven by the lack of affordable housing in Victoria. Forcing van dwellers into campsites outside the city would demand a daily drive back and forth for those who work. And campsites charge fees.

https://www.timescol...pers-1.24066698

#4240 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 08:30 AM

Forcing van dwellers into campsites outside the city would demand a daily drive back and forth for those who work

You mean the way thousands of commuters get to work from the westshore and Saanich Peninsula everyday?

• rmpeers likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users