Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
4204 replies to this topic

#4201 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 312 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 03:50 PM

It's been a half-decade since parking rates rose in the City of Victoria.

This morning the Mayor was on CFAX talking up parking revenues, and 'free' youth bus passes.

This won't end well for individuals who need to drive in to the downtown core, or those who live downtown and rely on street-side parking for their vehicle.

Over the near-term expect more 1-2hr free parking zones to be replaced with meters and I wouldn't be surprised if 2020 saw a parking rate adjustment across the whole network.

Mike when was the last time advertising rates on VV increased?  How do you select rates?  Like is it based on anything in particular?

#4202 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 03:53 PM

I think CoV parking is far underpriced. I don't have a problem with raising the rates. Frankly, the cost of a monthly parking pass at one of the City parkades is a joke (and one of the reasons why it's next to impossible to get one). And using a metered spot is also pretty cheap, especially if you use the app and only pay for the time you're there, or strategically park on a lower rate street.

The problems with parking in Victoria aren't to do with cost. They're to do with capacity. And hey, if increasing cost frees up a bit of capacity, I'm all for it.

But let's be clear, the City needs to do more than raise cost to create more capacity. Additional dedicated parking infrastructure is desperately needed downtown. This is one of those "actual duties" of Council, but they don't seem interested. We're well overdue for a new City parkade.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#4203 aastra

aastra
  • 15,157 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 04:15 PM

When large & strategically located properties come up for redevelopment (London Drugs block, Capital Iron parking lot, south end of Dockside Green, etc.) the incentives for including a large amount of pay parking should be automatic.

#4204 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 51,450 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 05:00 PM

Parking spaces are full because the City enjoyed a significant amount of new capacity at the hands of the private sector.

Since so many private lots have disappeared, this has placed significant pressure on the public side of the equation.

And given the cost of private construction (approvals are 20% of the cost, for example) the onus should be on the City to provide supply.

If my business and the business of those who ask me to meet them behind the downtown borders makes no difference to downtown merchants, than so be it, but it would be nice for the mayor and council to say “please consider patronizing businesses in other parts of the city and the region, downtown is perfectly fine with the present base of consumers/visitors/patrons.”

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4205 rjag

rjag
  • 5,322 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 20 November 2019 - 05:27 PM

Did you just call me an idiot? 

HAHAHAHA nope! not you!

I am calling our illustrious council idiots that couldn't pour water out of a boot even if the instructions were printed on the heel as they stumble from one controversy to the next!!!

You're the poor schmuck that has to deal with the fall out.

• Nparker likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users