Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#4701 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 June 2021 - 09:58 AM

Newer cars are generally more fuel efficient than older ones.

And a lot cleaner. Let's ban gas mowers and power washers. And all those silly rental mopeds that go zooming around town without any emission control devices.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4702 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 10:02 AM

Seems this would only be for new cars, I guess the thought there is to really convince people buying new cars to look at EV now.

#4703 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 June 2021 - 11:42 AM

Seems this would only be for new cars, I guess the thought there is to really convince people buying new cars to look at EV now.

Sorry, but an EV is twice the price of a basic gas car.  And since we're talking about street parking, presumably outside of one's home where they'll want to charge it, I'm sure the city has bylaws against running 240v extension cords across the sidewalk.  

Incentivize by incentivizing, not by punishing. 

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#4704 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 02:18 PM

It was a bit tricky finding an on-street parking stall today when I was downtown. Eventually I found one two blocks away from where I needed to be, which nearly made me late (I don't give myself 30 extra minutes to waste, who has time for that?). Ok, here goes:

I drove down the 700-block of Yates and all stalls were occupied. Wait at a red light. I then drove down the 600-block and noticed an empty stall outside Giant bikes, but then I saw a giant Giant bikes "No parking" sign at the stall. Ok.

Then I turned left onto Broad. Six stalls were empty: two occupied by Serious Coffee tables, one empty EV charging stall, and three with no parking 7AM-blah blah. (It might have been more than three, maybe four? Anyways, on I went.

I turn left onto View, the entire stretch between Broad and Douglas has "no parking" sheaths. Christ.

I wait at Douglas for the green light. Then I turn right onto Douglas, then, wait at the red light. Then I turn left onto Fort. Now we're talking, I think to myself. Except not, because the empty stalls were no parking/stopping areas. I wait at the light.

Then I turn left onto Blanshard and found a spot on View at Blanshard, one stall in. Then I huff it to Douglas at Fort as fast as I could to make my meeting.

No wonder parking rates are at 86% of 2019 numbers when so many stalls are unavailable  ;)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4705 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 June 2021 - 02:28 PM

I'm amazed you can remember your track.  I'm sure to fail the senior's driving test where they have you back-track a route of several turns from memory.  

#4706 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 02:45 PM

Hmmm, good to know. Of course you’re moving at a snail’s pace so it’s hard to forget your route!

Anyways, I don’t mind the parking thing, it’s downtown, hard not to expect it. But what’s up with all the blocked off areas Ismo? I think all in all there were 12-15 stalls blocked 7am-5pm or 24hrs along my route. And there were two along the 700-block of Yates I didn’t mention.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4707 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 02:54 PM

The City has constructed several indoor structures into which you can park your car at reasonable rates. Worth investigating.

• sebberry, Matt R., vortoozo and 2 others like this

#4708 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 03:21 PM

I was meeting someone Downtown  on a recent evening and he was late because he spent a full half hour going up and down Yates and Johnson looking for street parking. Half an hour! He eventually found a space way up on Blanshard and had to walk several blocks. Of course he could have entered the parkade across the street from his target destination but no.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#4709 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 04:19 PM

My investigation has concluded that these parkades do not fit some styles of the #1 selling vehicles in Canada.
  • Matt R., lanforod and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

#4710 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 04:37 PM

Now imagine trades people trying to do work in the core every day….

Hmmm, good to know. Of course you’re moving at a snail’s pace so it’s hard to forget your route!

Anyways, I don’t mind the parking thing, it’s downtown, hard not to expect it. But what’s up with all the blocked off areas Ismo? I think all in all there were 12-15 stalls blocked 7am-5pm or 24hrs along my route. And there were two along the 700-block of Yates I didn’t mention.

• Mike K. likes this

#4711 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 06:20 PM

My investigation has concluded that these parkades do not fit some styles of the #1 selling vehicles in Canada.

Ford F-150 height: 1.971 m

Yates Parkade Clearance: 2.0 m

I say go for it.

#4712 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 June 2021 - 06:52 PM

I say go for it.

He's in the boonies so you have to add a few inches for the lift kit and gun rack.

• Mike K. and Matt R. like this

#4713 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 06:55 PM

I say go for it.

By the time I get downtown I don’t have the stomach for a 30mm parkade clearance.

Know it all.

#4714 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 06:56 PM

The guy has two automobiles, one's twice as tall as a regular car and the other's twice as long. But it's the City's fault he can't find a space.

• sebberry, Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#4715 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 06:59 PM

Three vehicles. And I found a space! I’m just wondering why so many have no-parking sheaths.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#4716 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 16 June 2021 - 09:03 AM

I was meeting someone Downtown  on a recent evening and he was late because he spent a full half hour going up and down Yates and Johnson looking for street parking. Half an hour! He eventually found a space way up on Blanshard and had to walk several blocks. Of course he could have entered the parkade across the street from his target destination but no.

Maybe he was concerned about returning to his vehicle with all windows intact, hence why he didnt park in the parkade in the evening

#4717 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,424 posts

Posted 16 June 2021 - 09:38 AM

As a downtown denizen, I became accustomed to one or two car window-smashings a year for quite some time. I now park overnight in a city parkade (free from 1800-0900) and have had no similar experiences for about 5 years. There are usually spaces available near the guard hut, which may have some deterrent effect. Of course I have now activated a jinx...

• Mike K. and rjag like this

#4718 m3m

m3m
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 16 June 2021 - 02:06 PM

Three vehicles. And I found a space! I’m just wondering why so many have no-parking sheaths.

I'm actually curious about this also.  There does seem to be a noticeable uptick. 

It is very frustrating to find the perfect spot, right in front of the business you need.  You eyes light up, your spirit is lifted, then suddenly all your excitement is cruelly ripped away by the maroon triangle and replaced with misery and gloom, for alas, there is only disharmony in the universe.  I lament at my folly, recognizing once more that no man should have such a sentimentalized view of the world where the world is so indifferent to it. 

• rjag and Matt R. like this

#4719 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 16 June 2021 - 02:10 PM

Bam!

Know it all.

#4720 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 13 July 2021 - 10:58 AM

Looks like Ismo was on the case this AM! Or Ismo's helper.

counter.jpg

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users