Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#4861 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 02:30 PM

^^This^^

If the COV basically says "Yeah, downtown is pretty bad these days, what do you want us to do about it?" ... who on earth is supposed to fix it?

Does the COV expect the Feds to fix downtown crime and violence? ... the Province? ... the Rosicrucian's? ... somebody at the COV municipal level really has to start paying a lot more attention to the issue than is currently the case.

I'm not sure what the data is Mike was referring to, break-ins stink to high heaven, there are a number of ways for it to be avoided.  Break-ins in 2020 were down 50% if I recall..  Pretty substantial.  If you are talking about overall downtown then fine, there has been an increase in crime, but the parkades haven't really been a 'problem zone' with crime and violence, actually better than the streets.

#4862 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 05:29 PM

I feel safer parking in the street at night for dinner, drinks or a show than I do parking in a COV parkade.

I'm pretty sure I'm not alone there.

#4863 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 07:29 PM

I don't go downtown at night and seldom during the day, but when I do, I always prefer parking on the street.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4864 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 08:07 AM

What? You mean the break-ins? Yeah it's a problem everywhere, including on-street, in peoples driveways, what's your fix here? And what snide remarks?

Lock up the parkades, restrict access to them, hire more guards, have emergency push buttons in the elevators and on pillars, and monitored surveillance footage by the guards themselves. If they see a person who looks like they should not be there, they start focusing in on that person. No more Mr. Nice Guy, if you’re wondering about for several minutes, you need to go.

There appears to be little being done to increase the safety and security of users of parking infrastructure, and council is saying we need fewer police on the streets than the low number we already have.

I mean to you it’s just a break-in, to the vehicle owner it’s a major hassle, it’s a damaged vehicle, it’s a violation of their personal space, it’s a violation of their sense of security, and it’s a large repair cost. Now multiply that by all of the vehicles damaged in your parkades and the cost to society is tremendous.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4865 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 08:10 AM

I don't go downtown at night and seldom during the day, but when I do, I always prefer parking on the street.

Definitely. And as close as possible to my destination, day or night. If I can see the vehicle from wherever I am, even better.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4866 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 08:16 AM

All cars will soon have sentry mode.  Tesla will lead.

#4867 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 08:18 AM

Didn’t he just say parkade break ins are down 50%?

#4868 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 November 2021 - 08:35 AM

All cars will soon have sentry mode.  Tesla will lead.

Can I get mine with a built in Uzi?

#4869 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 08:51 AM

Didn’t he just say parkade break ins are down 50%?

How would the City know? There is no method of data collection. The stats are anecdotal, and reporting voluntary.
  • Spy Black likes this

Know it all.

#4870 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 07:37 AM

Here is insight from Nanaimo RCMP on vehicle break-ins and theft from vehicles. This was released today:

Theft from vehicles continues to be of concern for local Mounties
Nanaimo

2021-11-05 07:51 PDT

File # 2021

Each month in the City of Nanaimo, there are approximately one hundred motor vehicles broken into, with almost sixty percent from vehicles that are not locked. The following shows thefts that were reported in October:

Downtown area- 17
Hospital/Townsite area- 16
Buttertubs/University Heights-15
Divers Lake area-8
Country Club Mall area- 7
Uplands area- 6
This year, we are on pace to have approximately 1300 theft from vehicles. The numbers however, vary from year to year and several factors influence this, said Constable Gary O’Brien of the Nanaimo RCMP. The following are reported thefts in Nanaimo for the previous 3 years:

2020 -1593
2019 -2702
2018 -2182
2020 was an anomaly as the City of Nanaimo and elsewhere were in the grips of ongoing COVID 19 lock-downs. As a result, many vehicles and their owners, were at home. Although Covid-19 restrictions have lessened in 2021, many people are choosing to use home delivery for their meals and thus, their vehicles are not being left in public parking spots where criminals like to check out.

Another consideration is when prolific offenders move in or out of our city. Prolific offenders (PO’s) are individuals who have compiled many criminal code convictions and are firmly entrenched in the criminal lifestyle. Several PO’s can cause a significant spike in thefts and conversely, when they move on or go to jail, there can be a significant drop in reported thefts.

“We continue to treat theft from vehicles as one of our priorities and have dedicated resources in place, including Bait Cars and other covert means to combat it,” said O'Brien.

Know it all.

#4871 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 07:55 AM

How would the City know? There is no method of data collection. The stats are anecdotal, and reporting voluntary.

We know from break in numbers in the parkades.  Yes they have to be reported certainly, but you think that from 2015-2019 there were increases of reports and in 2020 there was a huge decline in reports.

Lock up the parkades, restrict access to them, hire more guards, have emergency push buttons in the elevators and on pillars, and monitored surveillance footage by the guards themselves. If they see a person who looks like they should not be there, they start focusing in on that person. No more Mr. Nice Guy, if you’re wondering about for several minutes, you need to go.

There appears to be little being done to increase the safety and security of users of parking infrastructure, and council is saying we need fewer police on the streets than the low number we already have.

I mean to you it’s just a break-in, to the vehicle owner it’s a major hassle, it’s a damaged vehicle, it’s a violation of their personal space, it’s a violation of their sense of security, and it’s a large repair cost. Now multiply that by all of the vehicles damaged in your parkades and the cost to society is tremendous.

This is a knee jerk reaction.  More eyes walking in parkades with respect to patrols.  Sky isn't falling quite yet.  Mike you act as if I haven't had my vehicle broken into before.  I know the hassle.  You can feel safer on the street if you'd like, but the best thing is to have nothing visible in your vehicle, it's not 100% but it's way more effective than leaving a laptop on your passenger seat.

#4872 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 07:58 AM

There was a 95% decline in workers downtown in 2020 so one can imagine there would be a decline in vehicle crimes, too.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#4873 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 08:10 AM

There was a 95% decline in workers downtown in 2020 so one can imagine there would be a decline in vehicle crimes, too.

Ah the break-in guys only break into 1 out of each 300 cars so when there are less the decide not to do it?  There is a ratio code that they abide by?  An your numbers aren't even correct for March/April 2020...  Yes there was a reduction but remember I used to report on weekly numbers and the ramp up that was occurring?

#4874 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 08:22 AM

My numbers are from people at office buildings with knowledge of occupancy numbers.

We also had a decimated tourism year. We also had a decimated entertainment year.

There was a huge drop in vehicles, and a corresponding drop in break-ins. Full parkades are also easier to hide in.

Know it all.

#4875 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 08:23 AM

Can we just get a commitment from the City to improve safety? I don’t want to debate this any longer.

Know it all.

#4876 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 08:25 AM

My numbers are from people at office buildings with knowledge of occupancy numbers.

We also had a decimated tourism year. We also had a decimated entertainment year.

There was a huge drop in vehicles, and a corresponding drop in break-ins. Full parkades are also easier to hide in.

Well used parkades also have a lot more foot traffic.  Anyway if it's the same numbers corresponding to what we had in the past.  If you are thinking there are 95% less people in the downtown core last year, you are getting bad numbers from people.  You do you though.

#4877 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 08:27 AM

Can we just get a commitment from the City to improve safety? I don’t want to debate this any longer.

Obviously I have little to do with that.  I will say that I am committed to it with the best of what I can do.  Why don't you come downtown with me tonight and I'll protect you. :)

#4878 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 08:31 AM

Oh I think my numbers are solid.

Are you buying?

Know it all.

#4879 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 08:32 AM

Oh I think my numbers are solid.

Are you buying?

Your numbers must all ride transit then.  You want your bodyguard to buy?  I'm sure I can scrape together a drink or too...  

#4880 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 08:34 AM

Definitely not all drive. BC Transit says ridership is still at 65% of regular levels.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users