Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#4821 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 09:20 AM

If you are sad that you car gets chalked while someone with really little choice due to mental distress tries to shelter, I'm not going to be able to help with that one.

Exactly the selective enforcement of by-laws I'm talking about.

Enforce the "easy" by-laws that target working folks that are trying to shop downtown ... and don't enforce "hard" by-laws that bureaucrats and politicians choose to assign some sort of social construct to as an excuse to not enforce.

All by-laws hold equal weight, and all by-laws should be equally enforced.

But as you say, we're bound to disagree as you're advocating for your employer and fellow workers, and I'm advocating as a taxpayer, downtown worker and shopper, and driver.

Edited by Spy Black, 22 September 2021 - 09:33 AM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#4822 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 09:36 AM

Exactly the selective enforcement of by-laws I'm talking about.

Enforce the "easy" by-laws that target working folks that are trying to shop downtown ... and don't enforce "hard" by-laws that bureaucrats and politicians choose to assign some sort of social construct to as an excuse to not enforce.

All by-laws hold equal weight, and all by-laws should be equally enforced.

But as you say, we're bound to disagree as you're advocating for your employer and fellow workers, and I'm advocating as a taxpayer (and driver).

Actually I'm advocating for the public who park, my employer and fellow workers don't come into my realm often, unless they are parking.  Parking bylaws and pricing are there to ensure turnover and so those can find parking. Your advocacy sounds like you want workers to park for free for as long as they need to in the public right of way as long as someone is in a tent?  Only vehicles parked in violation are 'targeted' I suppose if that's what you mean by that word.

When the pandemic was full on and downtown was really struggling we reduced rates and enforcement and slowly ramped both up as people returned downtown.  As of now these are the bylaws I am charged with, nothing to do with hard or easy.  Unfortunately my capacity is limited and mandated, and what you are asking for might be better in another forum...

Oh yes and I pay taxes too..

I will say this however, more people "get away" %-wise with parking bylaws than any other one, except for potentially idling violations.

#4823 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 September 2021 - 10:22 AM

Don't get me started how stupid the idling bylaw is :D

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4824 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 07:44 PM

If you own a newer car with the auto stop/start system, the first thing you learn is how to disable it.

• rjag, sebberry and Barrrister like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4825 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 September 2021 - 10:16 PM

Again your vehicle is marked when it is in compliance, it's not there because it's in anticipation of a crime.  When there is an anticipation of a violation, then a ticket is issued.

A ticket is issued when there's anticipation of a violation?

Shouldn't the ticket-issuer at least wait until a violation has in fact occurred?

#4826 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 September 2021 - 07:53 AM

What about to heat/cool the passenger cabin?  I mean, the vehicle isn't moving, but it's not idling for no reason either.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#4827 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 08:24 AM

You also have to idle to defrost/defog your windshield and windows on a cool day. No way around it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4828 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 September 2021 - 08:46 AM

You also have to idle to defrost/defog your windshield and windows on a cool day. No way around it.

Grab a cloth!

#4829 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,046 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 09:07 AM

• Matt R. likes this

#4830 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 05:19 AM

I have a question

What is the procedure now with paying for parking at the View Street Parkade if you don't have the parking app?

#4831 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 06:00 AM

I have a question

What is the procedure now with paying for parking at the View Street Parkade if you don't have the parking app?

You pay at one of the blue machines just like you do when you park on the street. I think there is one on each floor of the parkade.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#4832 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 06:29 AM

That makes sense. Thanks for that.

#4833 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 07:57 AM

Grab a cloth!

That’s the fastest way to creating smear marks, that blind you during heavy rains. Don’t touch the inside of your windshield unless you’re cleaning it! :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4834 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 04:44 PM

Especially since their policies/designs seem to create the most idling possible.

• Nparker likes this

#4835 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 25 October 2021 - 07:53 PM

I see Vancouver has permanently approved free parking for vehicles displaying veterans plates for all on street and city parkades.

Any chance of that happening in Victoria?

• sebberry likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4836 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 October 2021 - 08:44 PM

I see Vancouver has permanently approved free parking for vehicles displaying veterans plates for all on street and city parkades.

Any chance of that happening in Victoria?

Probably not, TV doesn't exactly support our armed forces.  

#4837 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 10:00 AM

Surely by now there is video surveillance in the parkades?

Victoria, BC – Patrol officers arrested a man yesterday morning after a foot pursuit in downtown Victoria.

At approximately 7 a.m. on Sunday, October 31st, Patrol officers responded to a parkade in the 700-block of Johnson Street for a report of a man attempting to break into an occupied vehicle. The victim reported that he was inside his vehicle, attempting to leave the parkade, when a man first tried to open his vehicle door before smashing a rear window. The suspect then fled the scene on foot.

Officers located the suspect leaving the scene and gave chase on foot. Officers deployed a Conductive Energy Weapon during the foot pursuit, however it was ineffective. Officers continued to chase the suspect on foot until additional responding officers took the suspect to the ground in the area of Johnson and Broad streets. No one was physically injured as a result of this incident.

Officers continued their investigation and believe that this incident was an attempted carjacking. The suspect was transported to VicPD cells where he was later released with a court date and conditions.

Bill C-75, which came into effect nationally in 2019, legislated a “principle of restraint” that requires police to release an accused person at the earliest possible opportunity after considering certain factors which include the likelihood the accused will attend court, the imminence of the risk posed to public safety, and the impact on confidence in the criminal justice system. The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms provides that every person has the right to liberty and the presumption of innocence pre-trial. Police are also asked to consider the circumstances of Indigenous or vulnerable persons in the process, in order to address the disproportionate impacts that the criminal justice system has on these populations.

This file remains under investigation.

If you have information about this incident, please call our non-emergency line at (250) 995-7654 and press 1 to speak with the Report Desk. To report what you know anonymously, please call Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Know it all.

#4838 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 01:49 PM

You pay at one of the blue machines just like you do when you park on the street. I think there is one on each floor of the parkade.

But do you not have to anticipate how long you might be? That puts me off. I used to go downtown before Christmas in the past to browse and get ideas (not that we buy much for Christmas), but now I think I will be going to malls so I don't have to worry about whether I'm going to get a ticket in a parkade. To me it makes more sense to pay after your parking stay! 

#4839 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,436 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 02:26 PM

Surely by now there is video surveillance in the parkades?

Victoria, BC – Patrol officers arrested a man yesterday morning after a foot pursuit in downtown Victoria.

My olde family van was stolen from the Centennial Square/Fisgard parkade overnight a little over a year ago. No video then, I doubt there is any now.

Got it back a few days later, parked only a couple of blocks away on Cormorant. Minor damage and needed a cleaning. 

#4840 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 05:56 AM

It appears that the only structured parkade security procedure the COV has in place at their own parkades is for those patrons who feel unsafe walking through a parkade to return to their vehicle, albeit that's for personal safety as opposed to vehicle security.

SafeWalk:

The SafeWalk service provides you with the option of calling 250.686.3715 to arrange for a parkade security guard to meet and accompany you to your vehicle.  

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users