Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#5001 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 01:08 PM

No it (Langford) isn’t having problems, and the differences between municipalities is what I’m referring to. They don’t have Victoria's drama because they haven’t caused it.

You built on what was formerly parking in a very short span of time, and you did not address the challenges that would come with losing 3,000 public parking spaces.

You may be celebrating that your parkades are fuller than ever, but that’s because thousands of spots have disappeared. You can blame the developers for not building public parking, but it’s not their job to do it for you, if you’re not requiring it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5002 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 01:20 PM

You built on what was formerly parking in a very short span of time, and you did not address the challenges that would come with losing 3,000 public parking spaces.

You may be celebrating that your parkades are fuller than ever, but that’s because thousands of spots have disappeared. You can blame the developers for not building public parking, but it’s not their job to do it for you, if you’re not requiring it.

The market will drive parking structures being built, not the City.  I do not blame developers for not building parkades, the price of parking is not enough for them to do that...  You are not understanding what city parkades were built for.  I do not celebrate when parkades are full (you are thinking about the private guys).  Our intent is for them to never be full as we want to ensure when people come downtown they will find a space.  I abhor a full parkade.  With what should be constant flow allows for the most people to use the facilities.  When they fill there needs to be a look at a pricing change.  

Do you think there are 3,000 cars driving around looking for spaces?  Again you fail to realize that when an 80 space lot disappears and a 120 unit building surfaces there is parking and more people living in the core that do not need to park downtown.  You bemoan about that loss of parking (and you have for about 7 years I think) but I do not see people looking for spaces to park.

The only thing I blame developers for is unbundling parking from the unit.    I don't even mind when they ask for a variance.  Silly people will buy without the parking space and expect the City to provide them a spot on the street for free.  That will never happen, but they might save $60k.

#5003 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 01:23 PM

There are always new ideas :)

Pamplin Media Group - Portland parking rates increase for climate change, equity

#5004 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 01:30 PM

Then why does the City operate the largest number of parkades, if you’re not in the business of parkades?

Redevelop those old bememoths and turn them into mixed-use housing projects, with quadruple the public parking capacity. Turn 250 space parkades into 1,000 space parkades and 500 residences.

If what you want is never full parkades let’s get creative without doing the laziest thing possible (raising rates). C’mon, this whole thing has been like watching a ship colliding with a pier.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5005 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 01:40 PM

I mean, parking is the one profit generator for the City of Victoria, and fines a hidden tax on non residents. It’s a huge cash cow raking in millions in profits.

You would think the City would be going bananas to build a larger parkade with the assistance of a developer who can deliver affordable housing above. Redevelop Johnson,
Yates, Fisgard, one after another.

You’re already doing it with a new firehall. The City wants to do it with a community centre (Pandora), but they as the largest parking supplier claims they’re not in the business of supplying parking, and for a decade straight oversaw thousands of public stalls disappearing, and just shrugged?

Know it all.

#5006 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 01:44 PM

Then why does the City operate the largest number of parkades, if you’re not in the business of parkades?

Redevelop those old bememoths and turn them into mixed-use housing projects, with quadruple the public parking capacity. Turn 250 space parkades into 1,000 space parkades and 500 residences.

If what you want is never full parkades let’s get creative without doing the laziest thing possible (raising rates). C’mon, this whole thing has been like watching a ship colliding with a pier.

The City owns 4 parkades and operates a 5th through a lease.  There are 4 private parkades on Broughton alone.  Those 4 City parkades were built at the end of the 60s with the intent to support downtown businesses.  They are doing that wonderfully.  I'm not clear what your concern is anymore.  There are loads of residences coming every year.  With that, will draw less need for parking.    

The laziest thing to do is to build more parking.  At this point more is not needed.  Just need to shuffle some commuters around and we are fine.  

No it (Langford) isn’t having problems, and the differences between municipalities is what I’m referring to. They don’t have Victoria's drama because they haven’t caused it.

Parking complaints on the rise in Langford – Victoria News (vicnews.com)

#5007 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 02:01 PM

Alright, well we at least now know the City doesn’t care as much for outsiders, and is content with having a captive population in downtown, instead of accommodating people coming to downtown.

The Langford issues are Karens complaining someone is parked in front of their house. That is not a problem, just a waste of time for the municipality. And the photo the article referenced was of a school, during pick up time. That’s the same scene region-wide, I agree.

Know it all.

#5008 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 03:24 PM

I mean, parking is the one profit generator for the City of Victoria, and fines a hidden tax on non residents. It’s a huge cash cow raking in millions in profits.

You would think the City would be going bananas to build a larger parkade with the assistance of a developer who can deliver affordable housing above. Redevelop Johnson,
Yates, Fisgard, one after another.

You’re already doing it with a new firehall. The City wants to do it with a community centre (Pandora), but they as the largest parking supplier claims they’re not in the business of supplying parking, and for a decade straight oversaw thousands of public stalls disappearing, and just shrugged?

Thousands of spaces disappeared and there is still an adequate supply of parking...  Having more doesn't generate more revenue necessarily if spaces aren't full yet.  The city didn't shrug, all those developments you are talking about on old parking lots, have added more parking spaces than lost.  Just not for the public, but since the public is moving downtown, there isn't a need for as many spaces.  You can keep clamouring over the same issue but show me how it has affecting anything you are worried about.  Didn't one of the developers just say they built a tray in their building for the public on Yates?  Did that actually happen Or did he figure out it's not really worth it.

Edited by Ismo07, 06 July 2022 - 03:26 PM.

#5009 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 03:26 PM

Alright, well we at least now know the City doesn’t care as much for outsiders, and is content with having a captive population in downtown, instead of accommodating people coming to downtown.

The Langford issues are Karens complaining someone is parked in front of their house. That is not a problem, just a waste of time for the municipality. And the photo the article referenced was of a school, during pick up time. That’s the same scene region-wide, I agree.

Bear Mountain has a huge parking issue.  Streets are packed etc mostly because of the garages not being used.  So many suites and extra cars...  There are a lot of parking issues, but nothing good old parking lots won't solve I guess lol....  

Haha an old friend of mine had a drywall company and on his street he would park like 6 or 7 vans.  His crew would pick them up during the morning, park their vehicles on the street for the day.  This went on and on.  Langford didn't have a bylaw to stop it, so the block of residents actually got the house assessments reduced like $50,000 a piece if I recall and ended up paying slightly less property taxes..  But so did he lol...  Anyway this has to be around 10 years ago now.

Edited by Ismo07, 06 July 2022 - 03:29 PM.

#5010 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 04:22 PM

Yes, suites are the reason. But Victoria’s answer is to charge those people to park on the street.

The parking in buildings downtown is private for the residents and workers, c’mon, we all know that. It’s not for the general public, but they took away general public parking. So saying that’s parking in the spirit of our discussion is like saying we built all these condos, so why are people still homeless?

Know it all.

#5011 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 07:35 PM

What happened to the first hour free parking in city parkades?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5012 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 08:07 PM

What happened to the first hour free parking in city parkades?

City parkade rates have also been streamlined at all parkades to $2/hour and now offer an additional hour of free parking in the morning to make parking free from 6 p.m. to 9 a.m. each day. Sundays and holidays will continue to be free. 

To ensure free parking is still available for short-term use, 1-hour free parking spaces will be available on the lower floors near the entrance.

https://www.victoria...g/parkades.html

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 July 2022 - 08:08 PM.

#5013 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 July 2022 - 12:52 AM

Residents-only parking should not exist, period.  Just because you live on a given street doesn't (or shouldn't) give you any more rights over it than me or any other CoV resident.

#5014 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 04:53 AM

But the issue is, some streets are targeted by commuters or patrons of a business(s) if they’re not restricted, meaning the residents of the street may have no parking street-side at all, and for blocks. Not every home has a driveway in our older neighbourhoods with heritage homes or the driveway can only accommodate one vehicle. Most households have more than one car, if kids are involved (especially if dad is a contractor).

It comes down to practical things, like coming home with groceries, or an elderly person with mobility issues having a place close to their home to park. At some point we need to take into consideration livability for all residents and not just those we ‘perceive’ to be residents of a neighbourbood and feel entitled to get up into their reasons for having parking restrictions. They’re there for a practical reason.
  • Midnightly likes this

Know it all.

#5015 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 04:58 AM

Residents-only parking should not exist, period.  Just because you live on a given street doesn't (or shouldn't) give you any more rights over it than me or any other CoV resident.

I tend to agree... but as Mike says, if you don not have it, it ends up being filled - all day - with 9-5 downtown workers that do not want to pay to park.

The alternative is to put a time limit on it, even if its 2 or 3 hours.  But then on your weekday off, you have to move your own car 3 times from in front of your house.  And you are supposed to move it to another block.

#5016 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 05:59 AM

And so the only other solution is creating massive bureaucracy but calling it free market.

It’s not free market if you’re forced to pay for it, and the government (or a contractor at their behest) oversees its bureaucracy. But then only CoV residents get permits, so now you’re back to square one with the privilege you just tried to erase, but succeeded only enlarging. Now what? Expand the permit to all British Columbians?

Just leave people alone. Stop trying to redesign everything and find ways to vilify people or force them into paying for things. Find something else to do with your time, or better yet, don’t drive to the places where you can’t find on-street parking because it’s residential only.

Know it all.

#5017 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 08:26 AM

And so the only other solution is creating massive bureaucracy but calling it free market.

It’s not free market if you’re forced to pay for it, and the government (or a contractor at their behest) oversees its bureaucracy. But then only CoV residents get permits, so now you’re back to square one with the privilege you just tried to erase, but succeeded only enlarging. Now what? Expand the permit to all British Columbians?

Just leave people alone. Stop trying to redesign everything and find ways to vilify people or force them into paying for things. Find something else to do with your time, or better yet, don’t drive to the places where you can’t find on-street parking because it’s residential only.

Well there are more options and hybrid models for all of it. Escalating permit pricing, limited commuter permits to manage the capacity but still allow for some use, allow for short-term parking in residential zones, maybe 2 hours for the general public in certain areas.  There are many ways to manage the public right of way.

As far as I know you are forced to pay for most things that you want in a free market.  You want a service then you pay.  That's kind of normal.  Your stance that someone with 3 cars and only 2 spaces on their property should get to store the 3rd car on the street for free is going to change and already does around congested areas around the world.

#5018 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 09:13 AM

We’re a small city, searching desperately for big city problems to employ big city solutions.

There is no problem with on-street parking right now. It’s priority 99/100.

Know it all.

#5019 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 10:52 AM

We’re a small city, searching desperately for big city problems to employ big city solutions.

There is no problem with on-street parking right now. It’s priority 99/100.

Well the City doesn't take on one priority at a time, and the order will vary as well.  Some changes to the bylaw are about 8/25 in my priority list.  I likely won't wait till it's the number 1 priority in the City, that would be silly.

#5020 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 08 July 2022 - 02:50 PM

Can someone tell me why in the Broughton St. parkade, on the Courtney Street side, there are always three orange cones blocking some of the one-hour free spots? Yesterday there was a sign on one of the cones stating "please do not move these cones. That interferes with the car counter". Very annoying to go in there when all the other spots are full and have cones blocking spots. There are no cones on the Broughton St. side, where the spots are usually all taken. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users