Photo

Cable/internet/satellite rates: how much are you paying?

• Please log in to reply
1171 replies to this topic

#801 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 June 2020 - 09:46 PM

I'm a TekSavvy customer.  Currently paying $55 for 75/5 cable internet.  

What's with newer condos only offering fiber connections?  I'm looking at a 9 year old building, fiber only.  Although the CRTC ordered the big telcos to open up their fiber networks to third party providers, but they've been dragging their feet ever since and have yet to provide access.  Teksavvy can't service the building I'm looking at, and for the exclusivity, Telus only offers a 25% rate discount. 

Limiting choice limits value.  I don't need gigabit fiber to post on VV.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#802 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 June 2020 - 07:55 AM

20 years ago, would you complain if a building had cable only and no phone line to give you 56k dialup?

#803 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 June 2020 - 09:10 AM

20 years ago, would you complain if a building had cable only and no phone line to give you 56k dialup?

Apples to oranges.  Most people are perfectly well served by a 25Mbps connection.  I'm on 75 because it wasn't much more when I switched from Juce to Teksavvy.

The big telcos have been wanting to force the 3rd party suppliers out of the market for years.  Shaw is regularly adjusting their plans to mess with the little guys.  It's not the lack of copper I care about, it's the lack of access to the 'last mile' of fiber that's the frustration.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#804 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 June 2020 - 09:19 AM

Right, so the issue isn't that the building is fiber only. The issue is that 3rd party can't seem to use that.

Is Shaw even available in these buildings? I'm not sure if Shaw has started doing last mile connections in fiber; though they've certainly starting mixing their backbone from pure copper into both copper and fiber.

Are these buildings putting no copper it at all? No Coax, no phone lines? Maybe just some local Cat6?

#805 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 June 2020 - 09:30 AM

Right, so the issue isn't that the building is fiber only. The issue is that 3rd party can't seem to use that.

Is Shaw even available in these buildings? I'm not sure if Shaw has started doing last mile connections in fiber; though they've certainly starting mixing their backbone from pure copper into both copper and fiber.

Are these buildings putting no copper it at all? No Coax, no phone lines? Maybe just some local Cat6?

The one I'm looking at, built in 2011, is fiber only.  Telus gives a bit of a discount on service, Shaw is available according to the seller.  

There looks to be some Cat5e/6 whatever throughout the unit itself.  Probably some kickback to the developer for the exclusivity. Short term gain for the developer, no choice for the owners.  

#806 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 June 2020 - 09:36 AM

The one I'm looking at, built in 2011, is fiber only.  Telus gives a bit of a discount on service, Shaw is available according to the seller.  

There looks to be some Cat5e/6 whatever throughout the unit itself.  Probably some kickback to the developer for the exclusivity. Short term gain for the developer, no choice for the owners.  

If Shaw is available, why isn't Teksavvy?

#807 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 June 2020 - 10:26 AM

If Shaw is available, why isn't Teksavvy?

I don't know why Teksavvy isn't allowed access to Telus' fiber and Shaw is.  

#808 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 June 2020 - 11:45 AM

Interesting.  Shaw chat said for that address, 'Fibre+' is fiber to the node, copper to the home.  

#809 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 02:25 PM

Yes, Telus has filed suit against Shaw over the misleading branding. It's still last-mile copper which doesn't have anywhere near the upload capacity that Fibre to the home has. https://biv.com/arti...-advertisements

#810 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,002 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 04:17 PM

Shaw set to complete first wave of major retail expansion, with new concept stores also coming to B.C. in Langley, West Vancouver, Prince George, Nanaimo, and Victoria by the end of the year.

https://www.globenew...-C-Alberta.html

#811 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,002 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 03:57 PM

Rogers has expanded its 5G services into Greater Victoria, including Sidney, the West Shore and Sooke.

The telecommunication company’s latest announcement provides 51 towns and cities across the province with 5G, touted as one of the country’s fastest cellular networks.

https://www.vicnews....eater-victoria/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 October 2020 - 03:57 PM.

#812 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 04:59 PM

Rogers has expanded its 5G services into Greater Victoria, including Sidney, the West Shore and Sooke.

The telecommunication company’s latest announcement provides 51 towns and cities across the province with 5G, touted as one of the country’s fastest cellular networks.

all fine and dandy, unless you're a Roger's customer and do some travelling and find out there's not as much coverage as the other fastest cellular networks.

#813 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 October 2020 - 05:20 PM

5G - so you can burn through that measly 5GB data plan faster :D 

#814 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 10:54 AM

I thought people were freaked out and burning down the towers?

#815 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 08:49 PM

Anybody drop their cable subscription and bought the Amazon Fire Stick TV?

#816 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 09:03 PM

I’ve got two. Fantastic little device.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#817 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 09:13 PM

Ok based on that review, I just clicked the buy button. My 2 year contract with Shaw is coming to an end in a few weeks and I am tired of paying for programs that I don’t watch. I tried to make sense of their packages and for the life of me...it just gave me a headache.

Care to share your favourite Fire Stick feature(s) with our readers?......and me
  • Matt R. likes this

#818 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 November 2020 - 09:40 PM

I went with the Apple TV, partly because it acts as a hub for my HomeKit devices.  But if you're not into the whole home automation thing the app selection on the fire stick should be pretty good.  And it'll match your flaming ice cube. 

• Sparky likes this

#819 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 10:45 PM

Think the last time I paid for cable was at least 2 decades ago.....

#820 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 07:14 AM

Ok based on that review, I just clicked the buy button. My 2 year contract with Shaw is coming to an end in a few weeks and I am tired of paying for programs that I don’t watch. I tried to make sense of their packages and for the life of me...it just gave me a headache.

Care to share your favourite Fire Stick feature(s) with our readers?......and me

The interface is very intuitive and simple to use, which is important because there are so many streaming services now that having that part right is critical.

First and foremost if you don’t already have it you’ll get access to Prime, which is loaded with content. Tons of content. But you’ll also get access to many other streaming services that offer all sorts of content from vintage horror movies to documentaries.

Then you can link your Netflix, YouTube and Crave accounts, or any others you have, and use them all through the Fire Stick.

What I found with smart TVs is the manufacturers are terrible at updating the software and in some cases stop entirely. So as was the issue for me, YouTube changed something about their feeds and I could no longer watch videos without them cutting out 10-15 minutes in and because it’s not a Google product the bug was never updated by the tv manufacturer.
  • sebberry and Matt R. like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users