Photo

Cable/internet/satellite rates: how much are you paying?

• Please log in to reply
809 replies to this topic

#801 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,914 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 June 2020 - 09:46 PM

I'm a TekSavvy customer.  Currently paying $55 for 75/5 cable internet.  

What's with newer condos only offering fiber connections?  I'm looking at a 9 year old building, fiber only.  Although the CRTC ordered the big telcos to open up their fiber networks to third party providers, but they've been dragging their feet ever since and have yet to provide access.  Teksavvy can't service the building I'm looking at, and for the exclusivity, Telus only offers a 25% rate discount. 

Limiting choice limits value.  I don't need gigabit fiber to post on VV.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#802 lanforod

lanforod
  • 7,770 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 June 2020 - 07:55 AM

20 years ago, would you complain if a building had cable only and no phone line to give you 56k dialup?

#803 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,914 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 June 2020 - 09:10 AM

20 years ago, would you complain if a building had cable only and no phone line to give you 56k dialup?

Apples to oranges.  Most people are perfectly well served by a 25Mbps connection.  I'm on 75 because it wasn't much more when I switched from Juce to Teksavvy.

The big telcos have been wanting to force the 3rd party suppliers out of the market for years.  Shaw is regularly adjusting their plans to mess with the little guys.  It's not the lack of copper I care about, it's the lack of access to the 'last mile' of fiber that's the frustration.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#804 lanforod

lanforod
  • 7,770 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 June 2020 - 09:19 AM

Right, so the issue isn't that the building is fiber only. The issue is that 3rd party can't seem to use that.

Is Shaw even available in these buildings? I'm not sure if Shaw has started doing last mile connections in fiber; though they've certainly starting mixing their backbone from pure copper into both copper and fiber.

Are these buildings putting no copper it at all? No Coax, no phone lines? Maybe just some local Cat6?

#805 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,914 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 June 2020 - 09:30 AM

Right, so the issue isn't that the building is fiber only. The issue is that 3rd party can't seem to use that.

Is Shaw even available in these buildings? I'm not sure if Shaw has started doing last mile connections in fiber; though they've certainly starting mixing their backbone from pure copper into both copper and fiber.

Are these buildings putting no copper it at all? No Coax, no phone lines? Maybe just some local Cat6?

The one I'm looking at, built in 2011, is fiber only.  Telus gives a bit of a discount on service, Shaw is available according to the seller.  

There looks to be some Cat5e/6 whatever throughout the unit itself.  Probably some kickback to the developer for the exclusivity. Short term gain for the developer, no choice for the owners.  

#806 lanforod

lanforod
  • 7,770 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 June 2020 - 09:36 AM

The one I'm looking at, built in 2011, is fiber only.  Telus gives a bit of a discount on service, Shaw is available according to the seller.  

There looks to be some Cat5e/6 whatever throughout the unit itself.  Probably some kickback to the developer for the exclusivity. Short term gain for the developer, no choice for the owners.  

If Shaw is available, why isn't Teksavvy?

#807 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,914 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 June 2020 - 10:26 AM

If Shaw is available, why isn't Teksavvy?

I don't know why Teksavvy isn't allowed access to Telus' fiber and Shaw is.  

#808 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,914 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 June 2020 - 11:45 AM

Interesting.  Shaw chat said for that address, 'Fibre+' is fiber to the node, copper to the home.  

#809 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 647 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 02:25 PM

Yes, Telus has filed suit against Shaw over the misleading branding. It's still last-mile copper which doesn't have anywhere near the upload capacity that Fibre to the home has. https://biv.com/arti...-advertisements

#810 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 15,477 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 04:17 PM

Shaw set to complete first wave of major retail expansion, with new concept stores also coming to B.C. in Langley, West Vancouver, Prince George, Nanaimo, and Victoria by the end of the year.

https://www.globenew...-C-Alberta.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users