Photo

Cable/internet/satellite rates: how much are you paying?

• Please log in to reply
1170 replies to this topic

#761 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:37 PM

Yeah, that's exactly what I am doing, using bridge mode. I didn't try connecting the Velop to one of the LAN ports on the D-Link, would I have to disable the Wi-Fi on the D-Link or just have it as an alternate source?

I got a couple of range extenders and they are doing the job for the most part.

You probably could leave the WiFi on on the D-Link, but make sure your devices aren't trying to connect to it if you want them on the Velop network.

• LJ likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#762 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:11 AM

Anyone trying the new Shaw BlueCurve wifi? Thinking of switching from Telus as the rate seems much better with better data speeds.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#763 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:29 AM

Anyone trying the new Shaw BlueCurve wifi? Thinking of switching from Telus as the rate seems much better with better data speeds.

My first question is why do you think you need a 300 or 600 Mbps connection?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#764 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:38 AM

I always point out to friends that are considering BlueCurve that the package is a lot more focused on the WiFi equipment Shaw rents you ... and far less about the actual Internet plan you have with Shaw.

Because I don't believe renting equipment from Shaw (or Telus, or anybody else) necessarily represents a wise investment, I choose to purchase the Google Mesh package, which is essentially the same kind of concept as BlueCurve (an intelligent mesh network). (although to be fair, I still technically "rent" the Shaw modem even though it's currently thrown into my package for free as a perk).

I also believe that the Google Mesh 3 modem package has noticeably better performance than anything Shaw offers its customers.

But the point is really just to be aware that BlueCurve is nothing more than mesh network hardware, and further that such hardware is equaled or beat by lots of other mesh hardware out there that's available for purchase.

I'd rather shop around for the best hardware, and own it ... as opposed to renting somewhat mediocre hardware and wind up spending rental dollars that would equal purchase dollars after three years or so.

Edited by Cassidy, 17 May 2019 - 12:03 PM.

#765 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:41 AM

My first question is why do you think you need a 300 or 600 Mbps connection?

Netflix 4K with Dolby Atmos sound and 100% perfect playback 100% of the time requires the 300Mbps connection.

600Mbps is pretty standard for hardcore online gamers, many of whom consider 600Mbps to be the minimum speed for acceptable online gaming.

#766 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 May 2019 - 01:36 PM

Netflix 4K with Dolby Atmos sound and 100% perfect playback 100% of the time requires the 300Mbps connection.

Hmm, I think you're a bit off...

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306

Internet Connection Speed Recommendations

Below are the internet download speed recommendations per stream for playing TV shows and movies through Netflix.

• 0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed

• 1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed

• 3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for SD quality

• 5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality

• 25 Megabits per second - Recommended for Ultra HD quality

#767 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 01:56 PM

BlueCurve does nothing but allow you to WiFi off and on... so does nothing special for me.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#768 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 May 2019 - 02:01 PM

My notes are based on real world experience, not a Netflix ad-page trying to convince rural folks to subscribe with their 25Mbps and "everything will be fine".  My comments take into account that most (if not all) homes share massive amounts of bandwidth with the homes around them.

Anybody that actually views streaming 4K video with Dolby Atmos would laugh out loud at the concept that you could stream perfectly, all the time at 25Mbps.

My previous 150Mbps Shaw account saw Netflix movies stopped mid-stream way too often, which was why I upgraded to 300Mbps ... and as I noted in my earlier post (the one you call "a bit off"), at 300Mbps you have no playback issues ... ever.

YMMV (mine doesn't).

#769 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 02:20 PM

It says 600 Mbps plus unlimited data and the monthly cost is less than the Internet 75 I have with Telus. Plus no unlimited data on Telus.

Are you saying that rental fees would increase the monthly cost?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#770 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 May 2019 - 02:35 PM

I think Shaw charges a monthly premium for the BlueCurve WiFi hardware, regardless of what speed plan you're on.

You need the appropriate router as well, which is usually another Shaw rental item.

The BlueCurve gateway router is around $10.00 per month, and the BlueCurve "Pods" are around $10.00 per month for a pack of three.

So add around $20.00 or so each  month to whatever speed plan you're on to figure out the cost of BlueCurve.

Note that the roughly $20.00 per month translates into about $240.00 extra each year to rent BlueCurve hardware ... whereas you can purchase Google Mesh (or lots of other) hardware for around $250.00 to $350.00. and have Shaw remotely reconfigure your existing Shaw modem to use with the 3rd party hardware "nodes".

Edited by Cassidy, 17 May 2019 - 02:50 PM.

#771 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:56 AM

My notes are based on real world experience, not a Netflix ad-page trying to convince rural folks to subscribe with their 25Mbps and "everything will be fine".  My comments take into account that most (if not all) homes share massive amounts of bandwidth with the homes around them.

Anybody that actually views streaming 4K video with Dolby Atmos would laugh out loud at the concept that you could stream perfectly, all the time at 25Mbps.

My previous 150Mbps Shaw account saw Netflix movies stopped mid-stream way too often, which was why I upgraded to 300Mbps ... and as I noted in my earlier post (the one you call "a bit off"), at 300Mbps you have no playback issues ... ever.

YMMV (mine doesn't).

I have 4k video as well as Dolby Atmos sound (2000 watts) in my movie theater and its works just fine off 25 Mbps.  Never had Netflix or my internet video feeds stop mid stream either

#772 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 May 2019 - 12:56 PM

I have 4k video as well as Dolby Atmos sound (2000 watts) in my movie theater and its works just fine off 25 Mbps.  Never had Netflix or my internet video feeds stop mid stream either

From Shaw or Telus?

#773 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:00 PM

I only have 15mbps service and it seems fine for streaming as well, although I did have some sort of problem yesterday with the download speed of .87mbps and everything was stalling out. A reboot of the router fixed it.

Question, instead of using range extenders if I have Shaw modem in bridge mode, could I just plug in another router in another part of the house and connect to that router in that part of the house?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#774 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:55 PM

It says 600 Mbps plus unlimited data and the monthly cost is less than the Internet 75 I have with Telus. Plus no unlimited data on Telus.

Are you saying that rental fees would increase the monthly cost?

That Telus 75 Mbps is likely better than Shaw 600 Mbps as you get a dedicated line, no sharing the cable line with your neighbours

#775 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 May 2019 - 10:39 PM

Question, instead of using range extenders if I have Shaw modem in bridge mode, could I just plug in another router in another part of the house and connect to that router in that part of the house?

They'd have to be 'mesh' routers and in my experience, consumer grade mesh isn't all that reliable.  

You're probably better off using some powerline WiFi extenders.  

What's the construction of your house like?  Older with lath and plaster walls?  Furnace ducting?  Walking 10 feet in my parents place from the hall to the back bedroom is the difference between 200Mbps and 0.2Mbps.  

#776 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:27 PM

They'd have to be 'mesh' routers and in my experience, consumer grade mesh isn't all that reliable.  

You're probably better off using some powerline WiFi extenders.  

What's the construction of your house like?  Older with lath and plaster walls?  Furnace ducting?  Walking 10 feet in my parents place from the hall to the back bedroom is the difference between 200Mbps and 0.2Mbps.  

Theoretically couldn't I have two or more routers plugged in, each generating an IP address and then I would just log onto whichever one I wished to.

My house is newer construction, just large.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#777 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:46 PM

I don't know if I'd ever bother with multiple routers when 2019 mesh technology is pretty bulletproof.

A large, irregularly shaped area is exactly the kind of environment that mesh works perfectly in.

An install of multiple mesh hardware just acts as one, big router.

My Google Mesh install, which I put in at Christmas time, has never been re-booted, never crashed, and has provided endless 150, and then 300Mbps to multiple computers scattered all around my house.

There are quite a few mesh systems for the home these days, but I found the reviews of the Google Mesh to be the most positive, and the install is so simple, despite the advanced technology underlying a mesh WiFi set-up, anybody can complete it in 10 minutes.

#778 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:58 PM

That Telus 75 Mbps is likely better than Shaw 600 Mbps as you get a dedicated line, no sharing the cable line with your neighbours

Yeah. With our Shaw “300” we barely get over 30 on the speed tests.

#779 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:21 PM

I’ll second the Google mesh technology. So far it’s been 100% bulletproof in our house, it’s pretty impressive.

Matt

#780 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:31 AM

Yeah. With our Shaw “300” we barely get over 30 on the speed tests.

That sounds very low.
Is that through your wireless network, or a hard patch from your computer directly into your modem?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users