Photo

Cable/internet/satellite rates: how much are you paying?

• Please log in to reply
1171 replies to this topic

#721 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 December 2018 - 09:57 AM

We just got a new router delivered. It’s rectancular and stands upright. I’ve never seen one shaped like that one but apparently it’s the newest.

It's the Cisco router/modem you want to avoid Mike ... that's the one with the buggy firmware - with no fix coming.

• Sparky likes this

#722 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 December 2018 - 09:59 AM

I upgraded to the Shaw XB6 and its very good. My buddy who worked at Shaw head office indicated its far superior to the hitron modem routers but not as good as getting your own. It does have more internal antennae and so far is giving me better coverage throughout the house and outside than the older Hitron

Did they charge you any kind of fee for the upgrade?

Is your monthly invoice the same as it was before you upgraded?

What did you have before the XB6?

I'm on the buggy Cisco, which has never reached anything close to the speeds I'm actually paying for.

Edited by Cassidy, 24 December 2018 - 10:00 AM.

#723 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 December 2018 - 10:08 AM

Yeah, if you have a 4000 sq ft house, you'll want a few access points. Google mesh works for that :).

I have a Asus AC66 now a few years old. Asus has mesh routers too. https://www.asus.com...ters-Products/ 

#724 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 December 2018 - 10:09 AM

I'm on the buggy Cisco, which has never reached anything close to the speeds I'm actually paying for.

Nope, I simply took my old cisco hitron in to the shaw store and asked for the xb6. They didnt ask any questions. The only thing they may say when looking at your account is if you have the older gateway tv system as they said it needed a tech to come out and set it up...no charge for the modem or the tech to visit

#725 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 12:44 PM

It's the Cisco router/modem you want to avoid Mike ... that's the one with the buggy firmware - with no fix coming.

Bless you. This thing is a pain in the ass. My iPad Air keeps flipping out.

Thanks for the heads up.

#726 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 30 December 2018 - 10:38 PM

I have a Cisco WiFi modem/router with the radio broadcast disabled, using a Linksys Velop mesh system for WiFi.  Are the speeds underwhelming on just the WiFi broadcast or the entire router, included wired connections?  If the latter, then I will upgrade myself to the XB6.

#727 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 December 2018 - 06:37 AM

There are a lot of Shaw users having issues with the XB6 in bridge mode:

https://community.shaw.ca/thread/42546

I'm not sure what the actual modem throughput is on Shaw equipment (Shaw doesn't seem to publish that information in a readily accessible format), but it appears that the Cisco will do up to 300mbps, and that if you go up to 600mbps you need to upgrade to the XB6.

I'm not clear on whether that's based on speed limitations of the modem, or speed limitations in the wireless router.

The best modem test is a short piece of Ethernet cable. Whatever speed you get hardwired directly to your computer will indicate your modem speed (based on your subscription speed of course).

The above all presumes your actual computer can do +300mbps wirelessly ... which many pre-2011 to 2013 computers can't.

I've got a bridged Cisco as noted earlier, and with my new Google mesh rig I'm getting 330mbps wired, and 280-310mbps wirelessly ... so the bridged Cisco (modem) will do 300mbps easily.

• rjag, Matt R. and Bob Fugger like this

#728 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:15 PM

Popped into the Shaw store this morning and ordered all new stuff.

The tech will be here on the 16th to install 3 blue sky thingamajigs. Does anyone have experience with hollering at your remote?
  • Matt R. likes this

#729 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:25 AM

Yes, and you can whisper!

What do you want to know?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#730 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:42 AM

What can you search for? Channels? A particular movie or program? Will it take a record command? Will it search Netflix?

#731 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:03 AM

It’ll call the authorities when you say the wrong things.
  • sebberry likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#732 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:27 AM

It’ll call the authorities when you say the wrong things.

In Soviet Russia, you say the wrong things and the authorities call youuuuuu...  :banana:

• Mike K., Sparky, grantpalin and 1 other like this

#733 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:22 AM

I find it most useful for searching for stuff to watch. I don't have experience with Shaw's Bluesky yet, but it's probably not that different from any other microphone remote system.

#734 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:28 AM

What can you search for? Channels? A particular movie or program? Will it take a record command? Will it search Netflix?

The voice search works quite well. You can say scary movies and it will show you all the scary movies available. You can then add a filter "free to me" and it will only show free movies. The search results will also show Netflix results.

As for recording, you simply say record whatever and it sets the recording. Channel changing is as simple as say "A&E" It will find particular channels and programs. For programs, if not currently on, it will find the next available time.

The guide is pretty snazzy as you can set it to only show channels the are in your package, and if something is on free preview it shows on that guide while in preview.

Once it finds something for you, there is still some manual movements that have to be made with the remote.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#735 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:55 AM

^ Thank you for that. I can't wait to try it out. 

I find the current Netflix search procedure by scrolling to one letter at a time......a waste of time.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#736 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:58 AM

You gotta get yourself a remote control with a full keyboard!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#737 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:08 PM

Popped into the Shaw store this morning and ordered all new stuff.

The tech will be here on the 16th to install 3 blue sky thingamajigs. Does anyone have experience with hollering at your remote?

Yes, mine usually says "Sorry, I didn't get that, please try again."

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#738 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:34 PM

^ Quit mumbling. :)

Tried one at a friend's house on Sunday. Seemed pretty good. He pulled up some great youtube videos in a short period of time.
  • sdwright.vic likes this

#739 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:18 PM

Cable guy came today with a new XB6 wifi router and an XXG1V4 4K PVR. Here is my report.

Wifi speed: better
Wifi coverage: farther
Visual quality: way better especially Netflix
Audio clarity: way better especially Netflix
Guide: better but new channel numbers
Recording ease: good
Voice remote: priceless and controls Netflix
  • sdwright.vic and Cassidy like this

#740 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 10:18 AM

Not quite fit for this thread, but we're getting a new area code later this year. 672. That's in addition to 250, 604, 778 and 236.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users