Photo

Cable/internet/satellite rates: how much are you paying?

• Please log in to reply
1171 replies to this topic

#781 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 06:00 AM

From Shaw or Telus?

Teksavvy

#782 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 May 2019 - 07:18 AM

Theoretically couldn't I have two or more routers plugged in, each generating an IP address and then I would just log onto whichever one I wished to.

My house is newer construction, just large.

Seems very inconvenient.  If you've got network cables running to where your second router would theoretically go, then your answer is a couple of wired WAPs, or something like Google Mesh (I've never used it, can't comment on its effectiveness or privacy concerns with Google running your network...)

Yeah. With our Shaw “300” we barely get over 30 on the speed tests.

My TekSavvy 75 routinely tests at over 80.  If you're plugged into the network, something is wrong. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#783 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 11:00 AM

That sounds very low.
Is that through your wireless network, or a hard patch from your computer directly into your modem?

Wifi. Through the router Shaw provided. In a 817 square foot condo.

We’re switching to Telus on Friday. They have fibre optic to our place. We went with only Telus 150 internet. It’ll be interesting to see what the speed difference is.

#784 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 May 2019 - 12:50 PM

We’re switching to Telus on Friday. They have fibre optic to our place. We went with only Telus 150 internet. It’ll be interesting to see what the speed difference is.

The issue probably isn't the connection to your condo then. I bet the speeds will be substantially higher connected directly to the modem.  Being in a condo means there' likely lots of interference from other neighbors.  Changing the channel of the WiFi could help quite a bit, as could relocating the modem.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#785 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 01:47 PM

Changing the channel of the WiFi could help quite a bit

As a fellow apt dweller, I would be interested in knowing how one does this. I too have Shaws Wifi modem - a fairly recent one, about a year or so old.

Pretty sure Telus is not an option where I am.

#786 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:42 AM

Prior to my Google Mesh install, I did a speed test with my standard Shaw WiFi set up (supposed to be150Mbps) and found I was getting around 40-50 Mbps tops.

I then hard patched the same laptop directly into the Shaw modem, and got 135-150 Mbps instantly.

Before you make any changes, I'd consider doing a hard patch speed test to find out where you really are ... to get a benchmark of sorts (especially in an apartment or condo, with different hardware installs than a single family dwelling).

If it's your WiFi network causing slow speeds, changing providers might not improve anything.

In my case, it  was that my own WiFi network (with Shaw hardware) that was causing massively reduced speeds compared to what was actually coming into my house off the telephone pole.

Shaws cable modems are OK, but it seems that their wireless routers (often part of the same piece of hardware, thus the bridging requirement) are pretty long in the tooth from a technology perspective.

It was only after Shaw remotely bridged my modem, and I installed my Google Mesh hardware that I get 300Mbps consistently (on the same modem and computer as I was originally getting 40-50 Mbps on a 150Mbps Shaw plan).

Edited by Cassidy, 21 May 2019 - 05:43 AM.

#787 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:05 PM

We're swapping to Telus because it's cheaper, their cable interface is way better and their TV website for adding/removing channels is miles better than Shaw, but I'll certainly look into Google mesh if we have any speed issues.

#788 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:36 PM

I have one of those Netgear Orbi (RBR20 + satellite) kits from Costco plugged into our Telus Wi-Fi router with the Orbi's reserved IP in the DMZ.  The Telus service is only 150/150 but running SpeedTest on my phone is netting me in the 170-180s both directions (work and home computers are hardwired).  I do run Netflix 4K (no Atmos, just DD) on one TV but not wirelessly - it uses an existing coax run with a MoCA adapter at the PVR.

#789 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 03:51 PM

Telus 150 is now installed at our place. Remember, the speed tests showed us barely able to crack 30 mbps with our Shaw “300” plan on Shaw’s wifi router.

With Telus, we’re getting over 175 mbps. This is with the Telus supplied wifi router installed in the exact same spot that the Shaw router was.

#790 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 08:09 PM

Well...really now, given the state of.....ahem...cough...telco "competition" in this country who couldn't see this coming? No doubt Rogers and Bell aren't far behind:

https://www.pugetsou...CDKlU0Wkos0G5uk

I would love to see a Verizon, a T-Mobile or AT&T Mobility gain access to this market and utterly wipe the floor with Canada's so-called Big 3 telecoms.

#791 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 28 November 2019 - 10:27 PM

^ This is like invading Afghanistan - all good until you hit the ground.  The only way American telcos could compete is by subsidising Canadian service.

"You want coverage how far? With how many few subscribers???"

EDIT: Not that I am defending Canadian telco behaviour, but this idea that American telcos in the market would be a silver bullet is ignoring the market.

Edited by DustMagnet, 28 November 2019 - 10:28 PM.

• http likes this

#792 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 11:36 PM

/\......Possibly; but when Verizon kicked the tires re: entering the Canadian market a half dozen years ago that prospect no matter how remote certainly got the full attention of the Canadian carriers:

https://www.cbc.ca/n...umers-1.1346672

#793 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 05:40 AM

^ This is like invading Afghanistan - all good until you hit the ground.  The only way American telcos could compete is by subsidising Canadian service.

"You want coverage how far? With how many few subscribers???"

EDIT: Not that I am defending Canadian telco behaviour, but this idea that American telcos in the market would be a silver bullet is ignoring the market.

what harm could come from letting them in though?

#794 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 11:44 AM

what harm could come from letting them in though?

Well worst case, they'll operate at a loss for five years to push the domestic telecos out, then increase their prices to what Rogers, Bell, and Telus were charging anyways. The consumer is not better off and we lose 3 Canadian dividend darlings.

Edited by Mattjvd, 29 November 2019 - 11:45 AM.

• http and DustMagnet like this

#795 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 01:53 PM

I'll just put this link here along with one of many similar comments from the post: https://www.linkedin...telcos-5111506/

",,,,,,Want better service? Open the doors to true competition. Allow Vodafone, Telefonica, Verizon and other big mobile corporations into Canada. No doubt that Rogers and Bell would rise to the occasion. However, right now they don’t have to. They can gouge customers with virtually no real prospect of losing business. They have a protected duopoly. For most Canadians there is no other choice; therefore no real incentive for Bell or Rogers on pricing or service. That’s the reality...."

Edited by AllseeingEye, 30 November 2019 - 01:54 PM.

#796 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 02:11 PM

I will say though. the big three don’t spare much expense (advertising) trying to poach customers from one another. so it’s not like they just lie back and count all their money. you could say the same of the big banks.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 November 2019 - 02:11 PM.

#797 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 03:33 PM

I will say though. the big three don’t spare much expense (advertising) trying to poach customers from one another. so it’s not like they just lie back and count all their money. you could say the same of the big banks.

They also pay enormous dividends. Buy a few shares and you'll get your phone bill back.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#798 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 05:54 PM

well they are paying 50 cents per class b share. those shares cost $64 today. so you need to buy $6400 worth to get your $50 phone bill back.

#799 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 05:56 PM

well they are paying 50 cents per class b share (quarterly). those shares cost $64 today. so you need to buy $25600 worth to get your $50 phone bill back.
  • Mattjvd likes this

#800 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 06:00 PM

With a $64 share price BCE is paying 79.25 cents per quarter. About a 5% dividend yield and a 97% dividend payout ratio.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users