Photo

[Trans Canada Highway] McKenzie Interchange - McKenzie Avenue, Admirals Road and TCH

• Please log in to reply
2245 replies to this topic

#2141 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 January 2020 - 04:15 PM

Just put it all in a Google sheets doc and post one link. no need to post the DB every time then.

• Nparker, Bernard, Daveyboy and 2 others like this

#2142 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,508 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 07:55 AM

The TCH has been shut down at McKenzie below the overpass. It could be flooding related. Vehicles are using the on and off-ramps as a detour.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2143 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 February 2020 - 10:58 PM

I'm shocked we're not hearing of more collisions around the interchange construction site.  

Driving back in tonight in the rain, most of the lane markings are nearly completely invisible.  Adding to that are all the temporary lane dividers which, when between traffic of opposite directions, cast a sort of windmill light effect with the oncoming headlights.  So you have alternating shadows/glare reflected from the wet road which has already washed out whatever markings are left - it all adds up to a terrible experience.

• AllseeingEye likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2144 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,594 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 11:20 PM

Totally agree it's very poorly done; I was heading out of town from Uptown last weekend - at dusk - looking to make the right turn up the hill toward McKenzie/Burnside. The "exit" was so poorly marked I damn near took out several dividers after only discerning the actual turn off at the very last instant. It is terribly marked and - typical of Victoria in general at night - also very poorly illuminated.

Whether its cloverleafs or overpasses Victoria needs to send a team to the US to figure out how to design these things. And I'm only being partially facetious: in general this region does a terrible job when it comes to major road infrastructure design. 

• Nparker likes this

#2145 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 01:13 PM

That McKenzie/Burnside exit when heading west is so poorly marked as to render it "not marked at all", it's also completely un-lit (actually pitch black), extremely narrow, and poorly sighted such that once up at McKenzie, you really can't see clearly if any cars are coming from the south, which now blends highway traffic with Admirals traffic, making for a fast, lengthy and steady stream of cars.

I'm sure the final exit ramp (when the project is finished) will be fine, but the state of the temporary exit now is ridiculously unacceptable (it's been in its current form for at least a couple of months now).

Edited by Spy Black, 23 February 2020 - 01:13 PM.

#2146 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 24 February 2020 - 08:50 AM

I chose to drive east through the new exchange at night with rain and the markings were useless.   I will be avoiding it at night until it is complete with proper markings

#2147 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 08 March 2020 - 04:15 PM

A question for anyone who does the inbound commute weekdays between 7 and 9. I have to head into town tomorrow (Monday) for an appt, my first one since they opened up the interchange. How is the backup now during that time?

Edited by Lorenzo, 08 March 2020 - 05:18 PM.

#2148 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,930 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 04:28 PM

I could have e told you to the minute until I was harassed out of this thread a month or two ago for sharing data.
  • Matt R. and Cats4Hire like this

#2149 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,508 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 05:08 PM

If you want to supply that data it’s fine by me.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2150 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,930 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 05:25 PM

from sooke and goldstream to victoria city hall:

5:39   -  15 minutes car

6:00   -  15 minutes car

6:37   -  19 minutes car

6:58   -  23 minutes car

7:30   -  29 minutes car

7:59   -  29 minutes car

#2151 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,508 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 03:59 PM

23 minute commute at 5PM on this COVID-19 Thursday.

Know it all.

#2152 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 March 2020 - 07:07 PM

23 minute commute at 5PM on this COVID-19 Thursday.

We've got a few people who will be working from home for a while just to keep the numbers of people mixing in the office to a minimum.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2153 Darren14

Darren14
  • 188 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 05:48 PM

What's the ETA on completion at this point.. like i can't be more than a few months right...

#2154 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,930 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 05:51 PM

"summer 2020" last we heard.

#2155 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 08:32 PM

What's the ETA on completion at this point.. like i can't be more than a few months right...

I like what Horgan has done....but he needs to start putting pressure on to stop the TCH Mckenzie interchange is turning into the Johnson street bridge legacy of the NDP.  

• Fairbanks likes this

#2156 Fairbanks

Fairbanks
  • 555 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 08:04 AM

I like what Horgan has done....but he needs to start putting pressure on to stop the TCH Mckenzie interchange is turning into the Johnson street bridge legacy of the NDP. 

Johnson Street Bridge...NDP?  Huh?  Talk to the city of Victoria.  The province had nothing to do with the Bridge and the TCH is federal.

Facts please.  Research/homework.

Edited by Fairbanks, 11 May 2020 - 08:05 AM.

#2157 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,930 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 08:05 AM

the tch is not federal.

#2158 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 08:16 AM

Correct! Despite the name, highways are a Provincial purview. Per Wiki on TCH: "Canada's national highway system is not under federal jurisdiction or coordination, as decisions about highway and freeway construction are entirely under the jurisdiction of the individual provinces."

But yeah, the bridge wasn't provincial, it was the gross mismanagement on the municipal level which made it a cluster-F.

~ Jasmine ~

#2159 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 533 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 08:24 AM

I think that your meaning was "stop the TCH Mckenzie interchange turning into a fiasco of the NDP similar to the Johnson Street Bridge fiasco of the City of Victoria".  But maybe I'm putting words in your mouth......

#2160 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 08:44 AM

......the TCH is federal.

Facts please.  Research/homework.

It's not On The Level that needs to do their "Research/homework", or has to worry about posting "facts".

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users