The Agricultural Land Reserver (alr), Food Security - And Similar Topics

• Please log in to reply
387 replies to this topic

#221 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:06 AM

You can't build a house, but you can build tennis courts: http://victoria.citi...op-valley-4225/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#222 pinguu

pinguu
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:49 PM

You can't build a house, but you can build tennis courts: http://victoria.citi...op-valley-4225/

Maybe they'll be herding yuppies?

• Mike K. likes this

#223 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:13 AM

So this looks to be the last Alberg Farm lot.

https://www.realtor....Columbia-V8N1Z9

$799,000.  

I wonder what kind of money the Alberg's made, when all added up?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 18 June 2017 - 08:14 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#224 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 10:23 AM

Victoria city councillors are exploring using city-owned nurseries and greenhouses to grow food for the public.

In a motion coming to committee of the whole on Thursday, Couns. Ben Isitt and Jeremy Loveday are asking the city to redistribute some of its Park and Recreation resources to grow food, and to work with partnering societies and communities to distribute the seedlings to the community.

https://www.vicnews....uring-covid-19/

#225 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 April 2020 - 10:39 AM

Mason Street farm not big enough?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#226 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 01 April 2020 - 11:29 AM

Victoria city councillors are exploring using city-owned nurseries and greenhouses to grow food for the public.

In a motion coming to committee of the whole on Thursday, Couns. Ben Isitt and Jeremy Loveday are asking the city to redistribute some of its Park and Recreation resources to grow food, and to work with partnering societies and communities to distribute the seedlings to the community.

WTF!!!???!  They really think that this could have any useful benefit for anyone?   So tractors are going to be coming into town to plow up the parks to try and plant a few acres of food?   The CoV greenhouses are way too small to have any impact at all when it comes to food.

• lanforod likes this

#227 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 11:34 AM

I want to believe this is an April Fool's Day joke, but it seems exactly like the sort of hair-brained scheme this council would endorse.

#228 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 01 April 2020 - 11:40 AM

I want to believe this is an April Fool's Day joke, but it seems exactly like the sort of hair-brained scheme this council would endorse.

It is not an April Fool's joke.   It is simply people not being able to see the bigger picture, ever.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#229 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 03 April 2020 - 09:23 AM

FWIW, if you look at the motion you'll see that this is a "scale up" of the existing Growing in the City program in partnership with Urban Food Table, SD61, and local farmers.

#230 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 09:35 AM

^Correct me if I'm wrong but that initiative encourages people to either grow for their own use or grow to sell to others at market retail prices.

I don't see anything in their mandate saying government itself should be doing the growing.

From what I understand, at least 20,000 seedlings have been planted and all this produce will be ready in a few weeks and will be released into the marketplace for free. 

#231 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 03 April 2020 - 10:29 AM

^Correct me if I'm wrong but that initiative encourages people to either grow for their own use or grow to sell to others at market retail prices.

I don't see anything in their mandate saying government itself should be doing the growing.

From what I understand, at least 20,000 seedlings have been planted and all this produce will be ready in a few weeks and will be released into the marketplace for free. 

Free distribution of plants was a recommended initiative in the 2019 update, as part of the "Explore opportunities for increasing food production on private land" action in the Strategic Plan. That action was identified for roll-out in 2020.

#232 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 11:26 AM

^Free distribution of seedlings, not produce?

#233 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 03 April 2020 - 11:32 AM

^Free distribution of seedlings, not produce?

Correct. The recommendation was for the City to offer "gardening materials," which could include mulch, soil, and plants.

#234 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 12:40 PM

The plants were to be excess capacity left over once the City has used what it needs, and as a source of native species for those that want them.

This is all so very weird. Beacon Hill cannot have food trucks but the parks department can sell flowers.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#235 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 12:49 PM

Beacon Hill cannot have food trucks but the parks department can sell flowers

And the greenhouses adjacent to BHP* can be used for growing food. 

* I am not sure if they are actually on park land

#236 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 03 April 2020 - 01:00 PM

The plants were to be excess capacity left over once the City has used what it needs, and as a source of native species for those that want them.

This is all so very weird. Beacon Hill cannot have food trucks but the parks department can sell flowers.

And the greenhouses adjacent to BHP* can be used for growing food. 

* I am not sure if they are actually on park land

It's not the first time.... the City grew seed potatoes in the park back in the 40s and sold them to residents

#237 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 03:00 PM

Precisely which years of the 40s?  :squint:

Know it all.

#238 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 03 April 2020 - 03:52 PM

Precisely which years of the 40s?  :squint:

“Potatoes grown by the city at Beacon Hill Park and other locations will be sold to citizens as certified seed for use next year, Ald. Duncan D. McTavish, Chairman of the Parks Committee, announced.” (Times, May 21, 1942, p. 16)

And from the 1932 Annual Report, Potatoes were planted on Park land along Cook Street, between May and Leonard to 'clean up the land prior to planting a lawn. Yielded 13.25 tons.'"

• Mike K. and Rob Randall like this

#239 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 08:32 AM

^ In the 1940's, If you look at the 1998 BHP decision, this would no longer be allowed under the law. Technically the CoV even having a nursery there is in contravention of the BHP trust. It would be fine if they removed the fence and allowed the public in though. 

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#240 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 08:47 AM

Ok, during WWII when global supply chains focused heavily on supplying theatres of a global war.

The population at that time was also quite small on the south Island, like 50,000, give or take, and much of the region’s land supply was devoted to productive farmland. Back then we actually could feed ourselves.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users