Photo

The Agricultural Land Reserver (alr), Food Security - And Similar Topics

• Please log in to reply
249 replies to this topic

#241 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 12 April 2020 - 09:44 AM

Read on another VV thread: Helps said the seedlings will only go to poor people. I wonder what she has in mind there. Do we have to show tax documents to get a seedling (cynically!).

Edited by A Girl is No one, 12 April 2020 - 09:45 AM.

#242 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 15,395 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 06:06 AM

ah to be young and naive.

Victoria student group turns palettes into curbside food

It’s called Curbside Farms, and it’s still a year or two away from registering as a cooperative but the work is underway, Buhne said. In the meantime, the group has been deconstructing palettes in the driveway of the home Buhne grew up in, in Fairfield. They reuse the wood to build 16-square-foot boxes which anyone can order.

https://www.vicnews....-curbside-food/

For $25 each, they’ll bring it over in four pieces, and finish putting it into your new garden. Buhne has planted four of the boxes on the boulevard in front of his parents’ house.

“We also want to get more people gardening, particularly on boulevards,” Buhne said. “Our goal is to make it easier to grow urban food.”

Ultimately, the goal is to secure grant money. To get there, Buhne has some more paperwork to do.

of course the goal is to secure grant money.  because the current general business model works for nobody.  it also won't be long before some people complain about these ugly planters on the boulevards.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 July 2020 - 06:09 AM.

#243 mbjj

mbjj
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 07:13 AM

Someone around the block from us got a couple of those planter boxes. They sat empty for about a month, finally soil and plants appeared. A couple of days later, all plants eaten by deer.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#244 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 15,395 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 07:23 AM

Someone around the block from us got a couple of those planter boxes. They sat empty for about a month, finally soil and plants appeared. A couple of days later, all plants eaten by deer.

yes.  what i don't quite understand is what would be the attraction of growing food or flowers on the boulevard that can be vandalized or eaten.  when almost every home adjacent to the boulevard has a back yard/garden that offers more privacy and protection.  and most people - not all - struggle to find enough time maintain their own yards and gardens as is.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 July 2020 - 07:24 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#245 Rob Randall

Rob Randall

C'mon man, cut out the malarkey

• 13,297 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 09:03 AM

^Because boulevards always become barren, weed-infested wastelands of dead grass. Anything is better.

An aside, a pallet is a wooden platform for shipping large goods, a palette is a handheld board for paint used by artists.

• jasmineshinga likes this

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#246 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 15,395 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 09:10 AM

^Because boulevards always become barren, weed-infested wastelands of dead grass. Anything is better.

An aside, a pallet is a wooden platform for shipping large goods, a palette is a handheld board for paint used by artists.

here are some on empress street both sides.

https://www.google.c...!7i13312!8i6656

i might prefer the dead grass.

• Nparker likes this

#247 Rob Randall

Rob Randall

C'mon man, cut out the malarkey

• 13,297 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 09:13 AM

^The one on the left there is quite nice.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#248 Nparker

Nparker
  • 26,797 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 09:25 AM

There's nothing I like better than exhaust fumes and dog pee mixed greens in my salad.

#249 todd

todd
  • 8,027 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 12:52 PM

yes.  what i don't quite understand is what would be the attraction of growing food or flowers on the boulevard that can be vandalized or eaten.  when almost every home adjacent to the boulevard has a back yard/garden that offers more privacy and protection.  and most people - not all - struggle to find enough time maintain their own yards and gardens as is.

no deer for years when i planted my hostas(can't let the terrorists win). i have a small lot (for fun and meditation) off my property that i garden.

Edited by todd, 19 July 2020 - 12:52 PM.

#250 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 15,395 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 03:56 PM

Quintessential Metchosin farmland & part of the original Oak Bay Beach Hotel Farm. Lush, level, well drained, fenced & arable 9.88ac in the Agricultural Land Reserve is certain to please the discerning farm aficionado. The beautifully tree-lined driveway accesses this special property consisting of mostly level agricultural land of which much is cleared for farming purposes. Approx 5.5ac+/- are utilized as farm/hay fields, two large two-level buildings (most recently used to house chickens) & a 354x136 workshop occupy approx 1.75ac+/- & the remaining 2.6ac+/- consists of the perimeter areas comprised of trees & light brush.

https://www.realtor....hosin-metchosin
$1,099,000

screenshot-www.realtor.ca-2020.08.06-19_56_17.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users