Photo

The Agricultural Land Reserver (alr), Food Security - And Similar Topics

• Please log in to reply
387 replies to this topic

#241 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 12 April 2020 - 09:44 AM

Read on another VV thread: Helps said the seedlings will only go to poor people. I wonder what she has in mind there. Do we have to show tax documents to get a seedling (cynically!).

Edited by A Girl is No one, 12 April 2020 - 09:45 AM.

#242 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,007 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 06:06 AM

ah to be young and naive.

Victoria student group turns palettes into curbside food

It’s called Curbside Farms, and it’s still a year or two away from registering as a cooperative but the work is underway, Buhne said. In the meantime, the group has been deconstructing palettes in the driveway of the home Buhne grew up in, in Fairfield. They reuse the wood to build 16-square-foot boxes which anyone can order.

https://www.vicnews....-curbside-food/

For $25 each, they’ll bring it over in four pieces, and finish putting it into your new garden. Buhne has planted four of the boxes on the boulevard in front of his parents’ house.

“We also want to get more people gardening, particularly on boulevards,” Buhne said. “Our goal is to make it easier to grow urban food.”

Ultimately, the goal is to secure grant money. To get there, Buhne has some more paperwork to do.

of course the goal is to secure grant money.  because the current general business model works for nobody.  it also won't be long before some people complain about these ugly planters on the boulevards.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 July 2020 - 06:09 AM.

#243 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 07:13 AM

Someone around the block from us got a couple of those planter boxes. They sat empty for about a month, finally soil and plants appeared. A couple of days later, all plants eaten by deer.

• Barrrister and Victoria Watcher like this

#244 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,007 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 07:23 AM

Someone around the block from us got a couple of those planter boxes. They sat empty for about a month, finally soil and plants appeared. A couple of days later, all plants eaten by deer.

yes.  what i don't quite understand is what would be the attraction of growing food or flowers on the boulevard that can be vandalized or eaten.  when almost every home adjacent to the boulevard has a back yard/garden that offers more privacy and protection.  and most people - not all - struggle to find enough time maintain their own yards and gardens as is.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 July 2020 - 07:24 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#245 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 09:03 AM

^Because boulevards always become barren, weed-infested wastelands of dead grass. Anything is better.

An aside, a pallet is a wooden platform for shipping large goods, a palette is a handheld board for paint used by artists.

• jasmineshinga likes this

#246 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,007 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 09:10 AM

^Because boulevards always become barren, weed-infested wastelands of dead grass. Anything is better.

An aside, a pallet is a wooden platform for shipping large goods, a palette is a handheld board for paint used by artists.

here are some on empress street both sides.

https://www.google.c...!7i13312!8i6656

i might prefer the dead grass.

• Nparker likes this

#247 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 09:13 AM

^The one on the left there is quite nice.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#248 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 09:25 AM

There's nothing I like better than exhaust fumes and dog pee mixed greens in my salad.

#249 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 12:52 PM

yes.  what i don't quite understand is what would be the attraction of growing food or flowers on the boulevard that can be vandalized or eaten.  when almost every home adjacent to the boulevard has a back yard/garden that offers more privacy and protection.  and most people - not all - struggle to find enough time maintain their own yards and gardens as is.

no deer for years when i planted my hostas(can't let the terrorists win). i have a small lot (for fun and meditation) off my property that i garden.

Edited by todd, 19 July 2020 - 12:52 PM.

#250 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,007 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 03:56 PM

Quintessential Metchosin farmland & part of the original Oak Bay Beach Hotel Farm. Lush, level, well drained, fenced & arable 9.88ac in the Agricultural Land Reserve is certain to please the discerning farm aficionado. The beautifully tree-lined driveway accesses this special property consisting of mostly level agricultural land of which much is cleared for farming purposes. Approx 5.5ac+/- are utilized as farm/hay fields, two large two-level buildings (most recently used to house chickens) & a 354x136 workshop occupy approx 1.75ac+/- & the remaining 2.6ac+/- consists of the perimeter areas comprised of trees & light brush.

https://www.realtor....hosin-metchosin
$1,099,000

#251 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,007 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 05:38 AM

North Saanich agrees on operator, with financial support, for Sandown Agricultural Lands

https://www.vicnews....cultural-lands/

The agreement runs for 10 years with the municipality providing funding for the first three years, starting with $135,000 in 2020, followed by $125,000 each for 2021 and 2022.

#252 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,007 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 06:22 AM

They donated the 83 acres to the municipality and retained land for commercial development on McDonald Park Road, which is where the district money to support the plan is coming from. Half the taxes have been designated to support agriculture on the property, which was farmed prior to the racetrack being constructed.

Council approved the agreement in principle during an in-camera meeting. North Saanich Mayor Geoff Orr said the vote result was confidential.

If the contract is approved next week, the deal is likely to be inked promptly, said Orr, who favoured the society’s proposal because it’s community-oriented and includes a variety of activities. “But coming with that [is] probably a little more risk because some things are unproven.”

The society’s focus on “regenerative” agriculture also appealed to Orr. The non-profit organization Regeneration International describes regenerative agriculture as farming and grazing practices that help reverse climate change by rebuilding soil organic matter and restoring degraded soil biodiversity.

As for the long term, “We don’t know what it will quite look like. I think it will morph as the years go by as things gel or don’t gel,” Orr said.

https://www.timescol...roup-1.24248928

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 December 2020 - 06:22 AM.

#253 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,007 posts

Posted 23 April 2021 - 05:16 AM

A feasibility study on the meat-processing industry in the capital region is calling for a new poultry abattoir, a meat- processing and distribution hub and a working group to identify how to overcome barriers holding back local meat production.

The three recommendations were part of the Abattoir Feasibility Study for the Capital Regional District, prepared by Greenchain Consulting for the South Island Prosperity Partnership.

https://www.timescol...ties-1.24310773

#254 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 23 April 2021 - 05:25 AM

I've raised chickens twice, and the only place I could find to process the birds was a tiny little home business near the airport.  For pigs I had to take them to another home based place in up near Cowichan Lake. Anecdotally I can see their point.

#255 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,007 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 12:48 PM

The province is easing restrictions for secondary housing options on properties within B.C.'s Agricultural Land Reserve (ALR), which is land zoned specifically for farming as its primary purpose.

Previously, small secondary homes were only allowed on ALR land for use by property owners or immediate family members.

Now, the secondary homes can be used as a rental property, for labourers' accommodations, agritourism, or for extended family members, according to the province.

Additionally, these secondary homes no longer have to receive approval from the Agricultural Land Commission before being built. However, they do still need approval from local governments or First Nations before construction begins.

https://www.iheartra...land-1.15608877

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 July 2021 - 12:48 PM.

#256 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,007 posts

Posted 25 September 2021 - 10:04 AM

Garry oaks, camas reveal agricultural impacts of colonialism on Vancouver Island

According to Songhees woman and traditional food expert Cheryl Bryce, the Lekwungen peoples have long cultivated these plants for food and trade. They tended to the hillsides by setting controlled burns and clearing shrubby undergrowth. Scabby Garry oak bark is naturally resilient to flame, so they remained while the grasslands flourished – much like what Beacon Hill Park looks like today.

So when James Douglas rolled up on his schooner in 1842 scouting sites for a new fort, the camas meadows sang to him. He saw open, “uncultivated” land that looked fertile with minimal trees to clear. Perfect for a new fort.

Except, it wasn’t uncultivated.

Songhees women were tending to the fields, cultivating and harvesting camas (Kwetlal, in Lekwungen) each fall for food and trade. They managed the land and fairly distributed the harvest. The starchy tubers were a prized item for trade, as valued as salmon. People used to come from all over to the south Island for the bounty. The land looked so welcoming to Douglas because it was a farm.

https://www.vicnews....ncouver-island/

“Literally, people who lived in Victoria said to me, ‘I thought you were extinct.’”

That, plus people would interfere while she was harvesting Kwetlal.

“People felt entitled to tell me I didn’t have the right to do what I am doing. People got confrontational and insistent that I stop, sometimes physically try to make me stop, sometimes call the police. No matter what I said, they just didn’t get it.”

In some harvest areas she brings a white person with her to harvest. If a passerby has an issue, they can talk with her white friend instead of yelling at Bryce.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 September 2021 - 10:06 AM.

#257 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,007 posts

Posted 19 March 2022 - 01:31 PM

An orange's journey from the orchard to the Arctic highlights food insecurity in the North

https://www.cbc.ca/r...north-1.6381649

Alternate headline:

An orange's journey from the orchard to the Arctic highlights amazing human ingenuity in supply chain management

#258 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,007 posts

Posted 01 April 2022 - 04:23 PM

New Victoria community garden grows food security, orca awareness

Ground being broken on Vic West allotment on Saturday (April 2) at noon

https://www.vicnews....orca-awareness/

A triangular green space turned garden at the corner of Bay and Alston streets aims to promote local food security and raise awareness of Southern resident orcas and the Salish Sea ecosystem.

I’m sure that’s our tax dollars well spent.

The baseline diet — what Americans are eating today — required the most land at 1.08 hectares (2.67 acres, or more than two football fields) per person per year, followed by the reduced-fats-and-sweeteners diet at 1.03 hectares (2.55 acres) per person per year.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 April 2022 - 04:31 PM.

#259 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 01 April 2022 - 04:34 PM

Perhaps we should be eating orcas...or vice versa. I am open to both ideas.

#260 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,007 posts

Posted 01 April 2022 - 04:39 PM

So that “triangular green space” is turning out enough food for how many? One person for 12 days? That’s not food security. These guys are bad at math.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 April 2022 - 04:39 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users