Photo

Greater Victoria police forces issues and news

• Please log in to reply
3334 replies to this topic

#1101 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:22 AM

OBPD Twitter post from this morning: Some think there are no issues here because the homes are beautiful & expensive. We've been in one of those homes already this morning for a serious call. #OakBay is wonderful but domestics, mental health, addictions & other issues don't stop at a 'Welcome to Oak Bay' sign.

An animated gif followed with a man saying “how charmingly naieve.”

So bizarre.

https://www.reddit.c...e_unironically/

Edited by Rob Randall, 21 August 2019 - 08:23 AM.

• todd likes this

#1102 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 11:01 AM

Jealous.

#1103 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 11:19 AM

So bizarre.

That's Andrew Weaver:    https://twitter.com/...193606464237568

#1104 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 11:34 AM

^Indeed it is. He's ditched his trademark comfy sweaters and gone full parliamentarian.

#1105 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 11:35 AM

^Indeed it is. He's ditched his trademark comfy sweaters and gone full parliamentarian.

So jealous.

• Rob Randall likes this

#1106 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 11:40 AM

OBPD Twitter post from this morning: Some think there are no issues here because the homes are beautiful & expensive. We've been in one of those homes already this morning for a serious call. #OakBay is wonderful but domestics, mental health, addictions & other issues don't stop at a 'Welcome to Oak Bay' sign.

So bizarre.

You don't talk about the super awesome ones like this one https://twitter.com/...416133942603777watched that 5 - 7 minutes forget where I needed to be.

Edited by todd, 21 August 2019 - 11:41 AM.

#1107 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,040 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 09:09 AM

Isitt said it’s “completely unfair” that Victoria and Esquimalt residents now bear the entire cost of policing the population of the downtown core, which swells in size each day with people from across the region.

https://www.timescol...orce-1.23937754

except that statement is missing the part about how we benefit from that daily influx and how most of the recent strain in policing is from social services clients that council invited to town.

I dare the city/police to do a one month survey. for each service call attempt to assign a place of residence for each cause of the call. if it’s a bar fight id the participants and log it as Saanich and Sooke if that is where they live. but if it’s a zombie on the street call and that person is homeless and living via our place it gets assigned to Victoria. i bet this influx of perpetrators line does not really pan out after one month of analyzing.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 September 2019 - 09:17 AM.

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#1108 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,752 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 10:29 AM

...most of the recent strain in policing is from social services clients that council invited to town...

Good luck getting the SJW council members to agree to that concept.

#1109 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 10:44 AM

If the Regional Police Force plans to actually enforce bylaws downtown, then I want a regional force.

#1110 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 11:23 AM

I wouldn’t want the city of victoria council touching my police board with a 10 foot pole or baton would be my biggest problem with it.
  • pennymurphy2000 likes this

#1111 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 11:29 AM

Isitt said it’s “completely unfair” that Victoria and Esquimalt residents now bear the entire cost of policing the population of the downtown core, which swells in size each day with people from across the region.

https://www.timescol...orce-1.23937754

except that statement is missing the part about how we benefit from that daily influx and how most of the recent strain in policing is from social services clients that council invited to town.

I dare the city/police to do a one month survey. for each service call attempt to assign a place of residence for each cause of the call. if it’s a bar fight id the participants and log it as Saanich and Sooke if that is where they live. but if it’s a zombie on the street call and that person is homeless and living via our place it gets assigned to Victoria. i bet this influx of perpetrators line does not really pan out after one month of analyzing.

...“It should be noted that Oak Bay and other police forces already have a large number of regional services … and Oak Bay currently contributes both to funding and staffing these services. “.....

https://www.vicnews....eater-victoria/

Edited by todd, 06 September 2019 - 11:30 AM.

• todd likes this

#1112 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,040 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 11:46 AM

it’s pretty hard to see why anyone but Victoria would want to get onboard. what benefits is Victoria’s proposal offering?

*crickets chirping*
  • Daveyboy likes this

#1113 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 11:59 AM

It is kind of funny that after taking every conceivable step to set the stage for an increase in crime in Victoria, that our mayor and council would then bemoan the lack of resources and want other munis to pitch in.
  • Nparker, spanky123, todd and 6 others like this

#1114 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 12:34 PM

The amalgamation of policing is another one of those decades-old issues that regularly pops up anew as if nobody had ever talked about it before. Maybe the current cast of CoV politicians have been tasked with bringing the issue to the front burner once again via the aggravation of street issues? The timing of those Oak Bay police tweets is also very conspicuous. What are the odds that they would launch a campaign about not having anything to do at the very same moment when the trial re: the double-murder of two children in Oak Bay is a top headline?

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1115 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 12:36 PM

Don’t get me wrong I love Isitt and others even if I don’t trust them with decision making sometimes.

#1116 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 12:42 PM

It is kind of funny that after taking every conceivable step to set the stage for an increase in crime in Victoria, that our mayor and council would then bemoan the lack of resources and want other munis to pitch in.

Oh but the city had nothing to do with it did they did they .
Notice Lisa Jetson hasn’t been talking up the homeless or criminal element lately. Maybe she thinks her work here is done and she can move on to more of an elevated position in life .
  • rmpeers likes this

#1117 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 07:29 PM

He fails to mention it shrinks each evening as the law abiding citizenry of other muni's go home to their well policed neighbourhoods.

• Love the rock, pennymurphy2000 and Victoria Watcher like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1118 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 05:26 AM

You fail to realize that the downtown gong show is a 24 hour affair, no longer limited to the cover of darkness.... of course it must be all those suburbanites who bring crime along with them every day as they come to work...
😬
  • todd, Love the rock and rmpeers like this

#1119 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:39 PM

I wonder if the mayor’s next international trip will yield another ‘we’ve been thinking about this wrong all this time’ epiphany, like the trip to Germany and the cars-are-ok-on-pedestrian-streets idea.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1120 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,752 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 04:24 PM

Since her next international trip is to NYC perhaps she'll decide that height restrictions serve no real purpose and encourage taller buildings and greater density in the CoV's downtown core.

• rmpeers likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users