Photo

Greater Victoria police forces issues and news

• Please log in to reply
3295 replies to this topic

#1121 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 05:10 PM

It is kind of funny that after taking every conceivable step to set the stage for an increase in crime in Victoria, that our mayor and council would then bemoan the lack of resources and want other munis to pitch in.

I wouldn't let Del Manak off the hook here. He is the one was has said in public words to the effect that the police are not going to enforce drug dealing or possession laws unless organized crime is involved.

#1122 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 10:32 PM

I think this is Issit's way of trying to say screw you to the "When kids don't play nice in the sandbox" provincial correction.  Issit wants less police presence period.

As far as costs go, I am trying to pull together a like for like comparison of financials between municipalities in the CRD including Policing.  Businesses pay 47% of the property tax bill in Victoria vs 23% in Saanich (as one would expect), but then we see property taxes only bring in 57% of Victoria's budget.  Victoria has other revenue streams like parking etc etc. I would like to compare the municipal reports to see a cost benefit comparison.  My belief is that regardless of policing cost,  citizens of Victoria are seeing an overall subsidy to their tax base.  This is being hidden by reckless spending by the CoV council.

#1123 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 06:17 AM

The CoV has a $250 million annual budget.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1124 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 September 2019 - 06:34 AM

The CoV has a $250 million annual budget.

I'm not much good at math, but if I'm not mistaken that's $1BN these amateurs are managing over their 4 year term.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1125 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 06:55 AM

YES. And yet we can’t find $600,000 for policing. Which, btw is the single largest expense at over $50 million. But that still leaves $200 million, and there’ll be even more next year.
  • rmpeers likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1126 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 09:48 AM

I wouldn't let Del Manak off the hook here. He is the one was has said in public words to the effect that the police are not going to enforce drug dealing or possession laws unless organized crime is involved.

Do you think that ridiculous approach is due to political interference or lack of funding?

Either way, if that's the approach, it doesn't take a genius to figure out why things get progressively worse.
  • Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#1127 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 10:22 AM

Do you think that ridiculous approach is due to political interference or lack of funding?...

I'd give that about a 70/30 split. Since the latter is really part of the former I suppose one could argue the decision is entirely politically based.

#1128 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 11:09 AM

Do you think that ridiculous approach is due to political interference or lack of funding?

Either way, if that's the approach, it doesn't take a genius to figure out why things get progressively worse.

If I recall correctly, he made the statement prior to the most recent funding issues. 

#1129 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 11:52 AM

If I recall correctly, he made the statement prior to the most recent funding issues.

Presumably an extension of the hands-off policy VicPD were reportedly told to take during the Tent City era. So keep doing the same thing because it's working so well.

"We have to stop the overdose crisis, but go easy on the drug dealers." Pretty sure a kindergartener could spot the flaw of that approach.
  • spanky123, pennymurphy2000, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#1130 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 02:18 PM

One thing I will give Del credit for is that when the City started down the path of legalizing pot on its own, Del stated that legalized pot would increase crime and the need for enforcement rather than reduce it as Loveday and other council members stated at the time. That prediction has come to pass. I am not suggesting that pot has created more crime, but that the lax enforcement and "bring it on" attitude at City hall have allowed the black market to flourish and criminals are flocking to the region.

• Midnightly, pennymurphy2000, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#1131 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 10:06 AM

One thing I will give Del credit for is that when the City started down the path of legalizing pot on its own, Del stated that legalized pot would increase crime and the need for enforcement rather than reduce it as Loveday and other council members stated at the time. That prediction has come to pass. I am not suggesting that pot has created more crime, but that the lax enforcement and "bring it on" attitude at City hall have allowed the black market to flourish and criminals are flocking to the region.

Interesting theory. What is your theory on what crime other than selling/growing pot has contributed to?

#1132 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 10:26 AM

One could argue creating the pot shops put the low-level dealers riding around on bicycles out of business and they are now searching for a new business.

Same thing now that pot is fully legal if any shops were run by “criminal organizations” they are now short revenue.

Edited by todd, 09 September 2019 - 10:27 AM.

#1133 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 02:10 PM

Where are they now?: https://youtu.be/tCNuMa3Rwoc

#1134 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:22 AM

I don't buy this at all. I am not in love with walking through clouds of pot all the time now but it is clear that legalization has lowered criminal activity just through the fact that the act is not illegal. Also the one thing that has changed in the last twenty years downtown is that I don't get asked ten times a day what kind of drug I want but maybe that is because I am old...

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1135 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:31 AM

So you’re saying overall criminal activity has decreased, or pot-related criminal activity has decreased?

Know it all.

#1136 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:33 AM

Pot-related criminal activity has decreased.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1137 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:36 AM

Yeah. I can see that.

I would like to have a better breakdown of the sorts of drugs that police are encountering during their busts and arrests. The severity of the drug dealing world (guns, weapons) seems to have increased along with the “hardness” of the drugs being dealt. For all we know legalizing pot may have had an overall negative effect on public safety with real-deal pot dealers switching over to hard drugs where the stakes are higher and competition is fierce.
  • todd likes this

Know it all.

#1138 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:57 PM

What we need to do find an item that everybody likes and ban it so the bad folks make money but not actually harm anyone. Dishwasher detergent, batteries, plastic bags, etc.
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#1139 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,294 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 05:11 AM

On Sept. 4, 2018, an (VicPD) officer strapped her two children together using one seat belt in the front seat of a police van, then activated the siren and emergency lights while driving them to their elementary school. Several motorists pulled over to allow her through.

While the OPCC recommended verbal reprimand as discipline, the officer left the City of Victoria’s jurisdiction – for reasons not related to policing – without notifying her supervisor and while in the midst of an investigation.

Another VicPD officer faced a neglect of duty allegation for leaving his loaded duty pistol in a desk drawer in the Communications Centre of the Victoria Police Department for over a day until it was discovered by a civilian call taker. The officer was disciplined with advice on future conduct.

https://www.peninsul...b95ac-119762929

i don't understand the middle paragraph.

the opcc recommended a verbal reprimand but when the officer's supervisor tried to provide it the officer drove away and out of victoria?  or was the driving away and out of victoria her going to pick up the kids to take them to school with siren blazing?  while she was investigating something else?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 October 2019 - 05:22 AM.

#1140 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,294 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 05:21 AM

Allegations:On September 4, 2018, a police officer strapped her two children together using one seatbelt in the front seat of apolice van, then activated theemergencylights and sirenwhile driving her children totheirelementaryschool. The officer’sactions in activatingthe police vehicle emergency lights and sirencaused several motorists to pull over to theside of the road.

The police officer departed from the policing jurisdiction of the City ofVictoria for a purpose not related to her policing duties, withoutnotifying a police supervisor and while already assigned to aninvestigation.

This matter proceeded to a prehearing conference. A Report on Disciplinary or Corrective Measures Following a Prehearing Conference was forwarded to the OPCC for review.The intent of the Act is to consider an approach that seeks to correct and educate the member as long as the approach does not bring the administration of police discipline into disrepute. The Prehearing Conference Authority served the police officer with a violation ticket for having her two children seat-belted in a single seat contrary to section 39.02(b) of the Motor Vehicle Act Regulations. The police officer was in the process of retiring and therefore there was little likelihood of this behaviour being repeated.Given the totality of the circumstances, the OPCC approved the agreement reached at the prehearing conference.

ok there it is. the peninsula news article is just written poorly.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 October 2019 - 05:22 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users