Greater Victoria police forces issues and news

• Please log in to reply
3297 replies to this topic

#1741 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 09 October 2021 - 10:13 AM

Just got a phone call from folks working at my building this morning, only to be sent photos of around $4500.00 worth of damages done to the building exterior over night.

Police were called, and they'll try to come by to look at it sometime in the next week or so. 

But they gave me a police file number, and realistically that's probably about as interested as they're likely to be in this case.

$4500.00 (actually likely to be more due to supply chain and labour issues) down the drain.

Criminals, drug addicts, and the mentally ill roaming about downtown all night long while perpetrating property damage and assaults ... un-accosted by any form of law enforcement, essentially exercising free rein to commit whatever crimes on buildings or people that they see fit to.

• Nparker, LJ, Love the rock and 2 others like this

#1742 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 09 October 2021 - 10:40 AM

Spy, any video or stills we can share to help you with this?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1743 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 942 posts

Posted 09 October 2021 - 11:35 AM

Spy Black I can’t imagine how defeated  and angry you must feel.
I’m saddened one moment and pissed off the next that you are going through this . Sorry. 

Edited by Love the rock, 09 October 2021 - 11:36 AM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#1744 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 09 October 2021 - 11:46 AM

Yeah, it’s frustrating to know you’re having to deal with this on Thanksgiving Weekend.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1745 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 09 October 2021 - 12:05 PM

I suspect that things will only be getting worse for the foreseeable future.

#1746 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 09 October 2021 - 12:09 PM

Spy, any video or stills we can share to help you with this?

Thanks Mike, I've checked the two cameras that monitor the front of the building, but unfortunately they look out the windows rather than back at the front of the building (they'd have to be across the street to get that view).

There are quite a few people seen walking by the window, but no way of knowing which one(s) did the damage out of the cameras view.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1747 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 09 October 2021 - 12:16 PM

Dang. That’s a real drag.

Meanwhile early this morning someone made off with a large brass luggage cart from Arbutus Inn on Douglas at Burnside. Who steals such a thing?

Know it all.

#1748 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 09 October 2021 - 12:20 PM

I've invested a lot of money in cameras and surveillance recording equipment ... but the luck of the draw seems to always have those cameras never pointing in the right direction.

If I get my electrical contractor in to move the cameras ... sure enough the trouble will start happening where they used to point.

I'm not sure this is winnable. 

The cameras don't even save me anything on insurance, as they've never effectively been used to prosecute anybody doing any damage to the building.

It probably is irrelevant though, as my deductible is almost always higher than each individual act of vandalism costs to repair.

#1749 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 09 October 2021 - 12:22 PM

But as you said, you can’t relocate to another jurisdiction, right?

$4,500 though, my gosh.

Know it all.

#1750 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 09 October 2021 - 12:23 PM

Dang. That’s a real drag.

Meanwhile early this morning someone made off with a large brass luggage cart from Arbutus Inn on Douglas at Burnside. Who steals such a thing?

https://modobag.com/home.html

• todd likes this

#1751 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,407 posts

Posted 09 October 2021 - 12:29 PM

Millennials: The Laziest Generation. 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1752 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 09 October 2021 - 12:32 PM

But as you said, you can’t relocate to another jurisdiction, right?

Exactly ... my business is of the "entrenched" variety.

Although I never go to great lengths to remain anonymous, it's because I can't ever vacate the downtown core, it's because I have repeated (and many) interactions with VicPD, it's because I have personal relationships with past (and some present) Victoria City Councillors ... that I tend to remain as low key online as possible ... at least as far as the personal details are concerned.

• Mike K. and sebberry like this

#1753 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,870 posts

Posted 09 October 2021 - 12:33 PM

There was a photo of someone on bike a few weeks ago, riding while holding one of these luggage carts.  Looked to be outside of the Sandman / Shark Club.

Great way to move your belongings around when you can't find a shopping cart.

Matt.

#1754 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 09 October 2021 - 04:52 PM

Just got a phone call from folks working at my building this morning, only to be sent photos of around $4500.00 worth of damages done to the building exterior over night.
Police were called, and they'll try to come by to look at it sometime in the next week or so.

But they gave me a police file number, and realistically that's probably about as interested as they're likely to be in this case.
$4500.00 (actually likely to be more due to supply chain and labour issues) down the drain.

Criminals, drug addicts, and the mentally ill roaming about downtown all night long while perpetrating property damage and assaults ... un-accosted by any form of law enforcement, essentially exercising free rein to commit whatever crimes on buildings or people that they see fit to.

Holy mole! That really sucks…. Makes me so angry

#1755 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 09 October 2021 - 06:45 PM

I walked by the Old Paul's Motor Inn on Thursday. One of the 'chaperones' was pushing a big garbage cart, as if he had been cleaning junk around the place. Perched on the top of the cart was a very new looking suitcase.

I started to wonder how many stolen suitcases they collect in a week. Forget bicycle chop shops, start reselling stolen luggage.

#1756 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,407 posts

Posted 09 October 2021 - 08:32 PM

Here is Stephen Andrew's account of a morning spent shadowing bylaw officers on the mean streets of Victoria.

https://www.stephena...2yPkNSBxbM1QOH8

#1757 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 03:12 PM

Are police liaisons back now?

they might not be welcome back anyway.  too triggering.

https://www.vicnews....eedback-survey/

There are 12 police liaison officers currently in place working with elementary, middle and secondary schools in the district.

The survey asks participants to rate their knowledge of the school police liaison officer program and their comfort level with having police officers attend schools. They are also invited to self-identify age, ethno-cultural background, gender and sexuality.

A summary report from the survey will be presented to the review committee sometime this fall, and recommendations will be brought to the SD61 board in spring 2022.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 October 2021 - 03:13 PM.

#1758 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 09:43 AM

2022 Police Budget Adds Officers to Deal with Emerging Issues, Enhance Public Safety

Today the Victoria and Esquimalt Police Board is releasing its 2022 budget in advance of an annual joint meeting next week with Victoria and Esquimalt Councils. The budget requests six additional officers to address emerging issues and opportunities from cybercrime to building stronger relationships with Indigenous, Black and people of colour communities.

“For the past two years, because of pandemic-related constraints faced by our local government partners, the police budget has not requested substantial additional resources,” said Doug Crowder, Police Board Finance Committee Chair. “This year, to respond to issues emerging in our communities, we look forward to working with both Councils to present and adopt a budget that meets the needs for public safety and community wellbeing in Victoria and Esquimalt.”

The Police Board adopted the budget unanimously after months of deliberation, and an examination of thorough business cases for all the proposed additional resources. The requested budget increases also include some civilian positions to create efficiencies and take some of the workload off of sworn officers.

“This budget reflects the realities that our communities are facing with police left to pick up the pieces of a health system that doesn’t meet the needs of our most marginalized residents,” said Police Board Lead Co-Chair and Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps. “The three new officers for the co-responder teams will be in plain clothes and accompanied by a psychiatric nurse. This is a complementary program to the one in development by the City of Victoria and the Canadian Mental Health Association.”

The co-responder teams requested as part of the 2022 budget are a program many other jurisdictions in the province have already implemented to provide a rapid professional and community-based response to attend to people in crisis.

Barb Desjardins, Mayor of Esquimalt and currently Deputy Co-Chair of the Police Board added, “This budget provides much needed additional resources for VicPD as a whole, and for the membership who are being challenged to maintain public safety while significantly short-handed.”

The Victoria and Esquimalt Police Board will present its budget to both councils at a joint meeting on Tuesday, October 19th from 5 to 7 p.m. The meeting is open to the public and can be viewed here, along with the budget package. Each Council will then deliberate and make decisions on the police budget in their respective budget processes in late 2021 and early 2022.

Know it all.

#1759 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 09:51 AM

The budget requests six additional officers to address emerging issues and opportunities from cybercrime to building stronger relationships with Indigenous, Black and people of colour communities.

good grief.
  • Nparker likes this

#1760 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,407 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 10:00 AM

Sometimes you have to play by someone else's rules to get what you want.

• Hotel Mike likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users